Error Code 43 Question

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, its been a while. Hope all is well for everybody!

I've slowed down in recent years, but the fizz is approaching 50,000 miles and just reached her 10 year birthday! Joy :)

20180824_151654.jpg
20180915_082328.jpg

Anyway, I've had some the other day where the bike shut off at a stop light on me. I tried to start it up and it just wouldn't turn. Obviously dead battery, I compression started it and went on my way to take it home and go throw a new battery in. I get to the next stop light and the bike dies again :( So I bump start it again and the rest of the ride home fought with the bike to keep it from shutting down. I basically had to clutch and rev the entire ride. At one point it threw error code 43 which is:

Fault Code: 43
Diagnostic Code: 09
Symptom: Supply power to the injector and fuel pump is not normal
Probable cause of malfunction:
Open circuit in wiring harness. (red/blue line or blue/yellow line)
Malfunction in ECU.

Now my battery is only maybe 2 years old and was kept on a trickle charger and lightly ridden. I feel like 2 years is premature for battery failure. I'm obviously going to swap it out, but my question is: Could this possibly indicate a problem with the charging system? I don't want to throw a new battery in and find myself making a left turn across traffic and have the bike die on me again due to a deeper issue.

Could this be a stator issue? I found some tips on how to check the stator by measuring each stator winding's resistance to ground (make sure there are no shorts to ground) and winding resistance between windings (make sure they are dead short). I'll be doing this today.

coils91.png

While the bike is torn down throwing a battery in and checking the stator, are there any troubleshooting steps suggested to verify the charging system is working properly? Any suggestions are appreciated.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would start by fully charging the battery, then get it LOAD TESTED at most automotive parts stores.

Should it pass, re-install and check what the charging voltage is, should be close to 14 volts by 5,000 RPM's.

If it's significantly lower, you have some sort of charging issue.

Here's a video of mine (volts), cold start, BD43 mod (failing battery as well):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/147134237@N06/29303851750/in/dateposted/

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I would start by fully charging the battery, then get it LOAD TESTED at most automotive parts stores.

Should it pass, re-install and check what the charging voltage is, should be close to 14 volts by 5,000 RPM's.

If it's significantly lower, you have some sort of charging issue.

Here's a video of mine (volts), cold start, BD43 mod (failing battery as well):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/147134237@N06/29303851750/in/dateposted/

Thanks again Townsend. You're always there for me, I very much appreciate the input.

It looks like everything is good to go, I just wanted to be sure. I charged the battery up and got it load tested: It passed.

20180923_062747.jpg

I measured the charging voltage @ 5000RPMS and measured ~14V.

20180922_151617.jpg

Thanks for walking me through the checking the stator, my mind is at ease now.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your welcome.. Glad you don't need a battery.

Did you clear the code or is it still acting up?

Question, did the bike sit for any length of time (over a month) with ethanol fuel UN-STABLIZED?

That could cause running issues and stalling. Adding good fuel to old fuel, you now have more bad fuel.
If so, dump the fuel and start fresh. Inspect the fuel pump filter as well if yanking the pump)

I would strongly recommend trying Yamaha's RING FREE. It's a fuel system and top end CLEANER (not a stabilizer) and IME, works extremely well.

*I'm guessing that the fuel system is making the engine stall, then your popping a code.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Your welcome.. Glad you don't need a battery.

Did you clear the code or is it still acting up?

Question, did the bike sit for any length of time (over a month) with ethanol fuel UN-STABLIZED?

That could cause running issues and stalling. Adding good fuel to old fuel, you now have more bad fuel.
If so, dump the fuel and start fresh. Inspect the fuel pump filter as well if yanking the pump)

I would strongly recommend trying Yamaha's RING FREE. It's a fuel system and top end CLEANER (not a stabilizer) and IME, works extremely well.

*I'm guessing that the fuel system is making the engine stall, then your popping a code.

Yes sir it did sit in my garage for about a month while we had a very rainy month. It did not have stabilize in it and it most certainly has ethanol in the fuel.

I've never changed the fuel filter yet so it can't hurt. I'll definitely take your advice and siphon the fuel, replace the filter, give the Yamaha Ring Free a try, and fill her up with fresh fuel. I think it was just a dead battery as I've ridden about 30 miles since I've charged her up and haven't had any issues. This still sounds like some good preventative maintenance and for a few bucks can only make things better.

If the problem comes back, I'll revisit this. As for now, everything looks golden though.

Thanks again.
-Matt

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good info.

Also, that pump filter is NOT replaceable (and the pump has to come out if accessing the filter). If clogged with crap, brake cleaner, an air compressor should help. (Probably NOT necessary un-less you've seen rust in the tank).

I would however (if able), remove the tank, flip upside down and dump it in a catch basin (looking for any crap / water in the tank). Then blow dry (hopefully blowing out again, any debris.

I run RF in EVERY machine I own.

You can run a SHOCK AMOUNT which is 2 oz / 1 gallon (won't hurt anything). Regular usage is 1 oz / 10 gallons.
I can say you'll feel a difference once it's run thru the system..

Lastly, between ethanol and the bike sitting, I would use a stabilizer called "Gas Shok". I use that in all my machines(except the boat) and fuel will last easily up to a year:

https://www.usafuelservice.com/product/gas-shok/