EU debate about mandatory design standards for motorbikes

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ABS Rocks. Everyone who believes they can out brake an ABS system is an idiot :p

I agree, but the EU has passed a motion to make it compulsary from 2016 onwards (still to be ratified by individual governments), also restricting the emissions again. I'm afraid this will drive up new motorbike prices and ensure that there are less riders from then on :(

PPieter

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think it will go that fast, because of the large second hand market for motorcycles. People who can not afford +10.000 EUR on a bike (like me for example :D ) normally buy second hand bikes, avoiding all regulation and emission standards.

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, ABS is supposed to be standard on all road-going motorcycles over 600cc here in the U.S. by 2014. Not a bad thing, me thinks. Although I've never ridden a bike with ABS, I'm told it greatly reduces accidents.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ABS is already on all the new BMW bikes :p
When I look at the dutch Yamaha website, they pretty much have abs by default as well, except for the older models, like the TDM900, and on the choppers/racers.

To bad the R1 only has the traction control

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The EU are once again busy meddling with motorbike laws, this time they're debating mandatory design standards for motorbikes. Among other things they want to make ABS compulsary from 2016 onwards :eek:

It's the third article on this page:

19th – 25th November 2012 — Strasbourg : European Conservatives and Reformists Group
Thanks Martin,

I'm not to panicked by it all. The same discussions have also taken place in the auto industry. We now have safer more efficent cars. Hopefully it will pan out for bikes.

Neil

Last edited:

PPieter

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think buying a second hand bike because it has no ABS is the reason. New bikes are tax deductible and more worth for insurance in case if...

However, the whole ABS debate is not a bad one. In my opinion, a person - no matter how skilled - can never outbrake a machine. And it is a great thing for new drivers, because of the tendency to total freeze and panic break. If I ever have the option when buying a bike, I would probably take the ABS model.

The things they found in Belgium about motorcycles in traffic and parking however is a far worse action. Glad that guy (Schoepen) is gone!

@ Cloggy: Nice article by the way, kinda summarizes in an objective way the whole (possible) future legislation.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I'm not against ABS, I've got it myself, and I agree it's great :thumbup:
The thing I'm against is all the regulations the EU are proposing which just seems to be driving up the prices of riding a motorbike. the new transport tests, compulsary ABS & new emmision laws :(
I understand that they are trying to make a unified european law which everyone can abide by, but I don't see any positives coming out of it like tax reduction/incentives for riders (who help by reducing emmisions, petrol consumption and reduce traffic jams).

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting. My state (New Jersey) USED to have motorcycle inspection, but now we have none. It's up to the rider to make sure the motorcycle is street legal and should you get pulled over, the officer can issue summonses for any non-compliance items.

As for ABS, there is a petition in the works in USA asking the government to make ABS standard on all street-legal motorcycles.

Suicidal riders will still find ways to kill themselves :don'tknow:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting. My state (New Jersey) USED to have motorcycle inspection, but now we have none. It's up to the rider to make sure the motorcycle is street legal and should you get pulled over, the officer can issue summonses for any non-compliance items.

As for ABS, there is a petition in the works in USA asking the government to make ABS standard on all street-legal motorcycles.

Suicidal riders will still find ways to kill themselves :don'tknow:

The inspections are going to be very strict, including CO2 and noise measurements. You still have the responsibility (as before) to keep your vehicle safe at all times.

Here's the story in English.

Last edited:

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
The inspections are going to be very strict, including CO2 and noise measurements. You still have the responsibility (as before) to keep your vehicle safe at all times.

Here's the story in English.

Hmm, I'm curious what will happen with all the more "extensive" mods on motorcycles, e.g. Fork swaps or HID retrofits (like my projector retrofit)...
If it will be like our car inspections, you won't be able to mod anything anymore :mad:
At least we'll have some extra time, as it won't be before 2016 that it will/can be mandatory...

Grtz,

Degake

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk HD