European and American technical differences

Mutineer

recent addict...
Reaction score
Visit site
I have seen some awesome modifications to the FZ6 on this site, and in my head I am making a shopping list of all these great things I would like to do, but it just came to my attention that the European and American models of the bike are (according to a local Yamaha dealer) based on two different frames. This is creating confusion for me because this is an international forum and I am taking inspiration from both versions.

A word I see come up sometimes is "Fazzer" and apparently this is the European version of the FZ6. So if I want to put additional fairings, a seat cowl, ect on my American 2007 FZ6S, the parts I see on these beautiful Fazzer FZ6's are not going to fit the frame mounting points and such. This is what the dealer is telling me.

So whats the deal?

-M

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
A Euro 2007 Fazer is (for the most part) the same bike as a US FZ 6. The Euro FZ6 has no fairing.

As far as I know, all same year models have exactly the same frame with the same mounting points, etc. To the best of my knowledge, the frame is actually the same since 2004-2009. Some later years, it's painted black.

The 2009/10 US FZ6R is a totally different frame. It's as different from the FZ6 as a YZFR6 would be.

Twitch

Elite Pimp
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think as lazy Americans, we are so lazy that instead of saying "Fazer" we just said f*** it. Just call it an FZ ... rofl

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that you are picking on the different models, what is FZ6S? What is "S" indicate in the model you listed for your bike? As far as I know, US spec models for 2007 are FZS6W and FZS6WC. Just curious. :confused:

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2004 Fazer and the model is FZ6-S according to the owner's manual and parts manual. The parts manual refers to the Australian model as FZ6-SS and the service manual mentions FZ6-SS and FZ6-SSC.

N

Naykid

I have a blue one. :cheer: That's all i am able to contribute to this intellectual discussion.

Mutineer

recent addict...
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that you are picking on the different models, what is FZ6S? What is "S" indicate in the model you listed for your bike? As far as I know, US spec models for 2007 are FZS6W and FZS6WC. Just curious. :confused:

The "S" means the bike came stock with the upper fairing around the headlight, as opposed to the "N" which is "naked" with just the round headlight. Both of these versions were options in the American market at some point or another, I am told. Suzuki did something similar with their SV650 models over the years.

The "R", as in FZ6R someone mentioned, is a completely new bike designed for the 2009 model year to replace the FZ6 entirely at least in the American market (FZ1S still available). It looks very similar to the R6 and features a detuned R6 engine for lower RPM performance. Basically they wanted the riding geometry of the FZ6 series with the styling of the R6.

I came very close to buying a 2009 FZ6R leftover instead because I like that look more, but due to financial reasons I ended up with an FZ6S. The "street fighter look" is growing on me but I am flirting with the idea of getting closer to the FZ6R look through modifications, and I just want to get my facts straight before I start purchasing fairings, seat cowls, ect.

-M

Mutineer

recent addict...
Reaction score
Visit site
If it helps, this is similar to what I would like my bike to look like. It is a picture of a bike forum user Geoff posted. His bike is a different year and style than mine (Canadian version I believe?), and based on technical differences, I want to know if I can get my American 2007 FZ6S to look like this. And how in gods name to get started. :D

-M

IMG_0673.jpg

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I am glad someone started this thread because I've been kinda wondering about the same thing. I have seen some cool sites that are not from the US and have wondered if they would need to be modified or if they would fit perfect.

Mutineer

recent addict...
Reaction score
Visit site
I am pretty confident that a very high proportion of parts from a particular year model will fit on any model around the world of the same year.

Yeah its just when even a seat cowl costs $300 bucks I'm wanting to know for sure. Anyone from the US have a 2007 FZ6S and done any mods like the picture?

-M

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
The "S" means the bike came stock with the upper fairing around the headlight, as opposed to the "N" which is "naked" with just the round headlight. Both of these versions were options in the American market at some point or another ...

-M

That is not completely true

in the US and Canada markets - North America - the N models were never offered

I don't know about Central America - Mexico, Costa Rica, etc

In South America both models were always offered, actually here in Colombia we've had nakes from 2004 onwards and ABS naked models were offered (I have one of those), both faired and naked models were also offered in Argentina, Chile, Ecuador, and in Brasil they were even locally assembled and marketed as national products.

Cheers.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You have a totally different bike than the one you posted from geoff.
thats a gen 1 fz6, you have a gen 2. Completely different cowling and swingarm.
Maybe thats what he meant.

In europe we refer to the version with cowling as FZ6 Fazer, and without FZ6.
The FZ6 is no longer listed on the yamaha website in the netherlands as well.
We got the XJ6 (fz6r), fz8 and fz1.

heres a topic from a UK member with a pic of a fz6 fazer, with full sub cowling:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/trade-section/28674-uk-trade-full-fairing-naked.html

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/accessories/accessory_details.php?item=3446&group=M&model=2138
theres the sub cowling. The top cowling the fazers have isnt on there, you'd have to order it through a dealer.
download the fazer manual and see if the holes for the upper bit match your frame?

Last edited: