Fake Two Brothers Exhaust??

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
So for those of you who didn't see my recent post on my Two Brothers Exhaust installation, here is the link:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/41216-two-bros-cf-exhaust-install.html

The short of it is, I did the installation but ran into some fitment issues with the supplied FE. No matter how I tried, the FE that came with the exhaust system did not fit. More detail described in other post.

I also noticed that my muffler tips do not look like the other TB installs I have seen on the FZ6. (pic in other post) I started to wonder if this may have been an old discontinued edition, a factory second, a custom pieced together kit, or perhaps even a fake TBR system.

The exhaust did come in a TBR box, it does have that "classic" TBR CF weave, it did have the TBR CF warranty sticker on one of the mufflers, the hangers have the TBR brand name on them, the piping is very nice stainless steel with quality welds, the flanges are TBR design, etc. And to be honest, I actually like the way mine looks better with the downward angle of the tips compared to the normal center angled tips.

Has anyone ever heard of a TBR knock off or have any ideas why my exhaust is slightly different then others? The seller did tell me that he purchased the kit some time ago and it has been sitting around his place.

Jugro

Reaction score
Visit site
Searched on google and found an article about fake exhausts on Two Brothers(TB)own site, so it does happen...

Your exhausts are missing the orange rim that are on TB exhausts. So that is a bit mysterious.

Why don't you send a pic to TB themselves, and if there is a production number on the exhaust send that as well.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I did notice that the gold rims are not on my mufflers, but I believe I have seen TB "black series" in the past that also did not include the gold rim.

Either way, its a sweet exhaust and I only paid $510 for it, so I am not really complaining. Just intrigued and curious more than anything.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll tell ya what, it sounds frigging awesome, and I actually prefer my tips over the standard TB tips. Considering the price, I would have to agree. I think its a great purchase.

Really my one and only complaint about the system is that the included FE did not fit. Not a big deal as the FE I had is better quality, and this weekend I am going to modify the FE that came with the exhaust by cutting off the exhaust hanger bracket top piece and use that to provide additional support and security.

I got it off eBay and put a bid in with 10 seconds left that won by $5!

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Checked out the TB link where they discuss the fake mufflers that are apparently being produced in mexico. The only pics they show are stainless stell mufflers:

Two Brothers Racing :: Fake TBR Pipes

If mine are fake, some company sure as hell put a lot of time into making a real nice slip on with an identical CF weave!

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Visit site
I can tell you, I have the Black Series Carbon fiber edition and they don't have that gold rim. I can also tell you my kit didn't come in a Two Brothers box. It was in a box with instructions and parts but it is a legit kit

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
So for those of you who didn't see my recent post on my Two Brothers Exhaust installation, here is the link:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/41216-two-bros-cf-exhaust-install.html

The short of it is, I did the installation but ran into some fitment issues with the supplied FE. No matter how I tried, the FE that came with the exhaust system did not fit. More detail described in other post.

I also noticed that my muffler tips do not look like the other TB installs I have seen on the FZ6. (pic in other post) I started to wonder if this may have been an old discontinued edition, a factory second, a custom pieced together kit, or perhaps even a fake TBR system.

The exhaust did come in a TBR box, it does have that "classic" TBR CF weave, it did have the TBR CF warranty sticker on one of the mufflers, the hangers have the TBR brand name on them, the piping is very nice stainless steel with quality welds, the flanges are TBR design, etc. And to be honest, I actually like the way mine looks better with the downward angle of the tips compared to the normal center angled tips.

Has anyone ever heard of a TBR knock off or have any ideas why my exhaust is slightly different then others? The seller did tell me that he purchased the kit some time ago and it has been sitting around his place.

Uneducated guesses follow:

Not a fake TB setup. Either TB early on didn't use the gold ring and horizontal tips (I can see the anodized silver piece which is currently gold in their kits) or somebody pieced this together as mentioned elsewhere.

The FE fitment isn't really even a point in favor of a fake setup either. I'll explain.. My TB Carbon setup had FE fitment issues as well. It needed to be bent a little to fit around the cans and initially I ran into the same problem you described. In fact, it was clear very early into the install that the FE bracket really needed to be tweaked to work at all. And the stock lower bracket had to be removed entirely or modified to work (I cut mine off just pass the mount point the the plastic underneath the tail.) Once the FE was on, even the supplied mounting strap brackets didn't fit right initially; they placed the exhaust too low under the tail leaving an unsightly gap between the cans and the undertail. I had to redrill the mounting point and cut off the straps a little to make it fit.

I was a little disappointed at all of this considering the price for a new package.. but if you're a DIY guy you should expect a little tweaking to make things work I guess.

exhaust2.jpg

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
They are legit 2Bros pipes, just not the same one's, the FZ6 uses M2's (under tail), the ones you have are M1's (side exit), that's why the tips are different, M2's have the pointed tips, M1's have the angled tips, mostly used on high mount exhaust systems of older bikes, there's also the M3, a shorter version of the M1, used on the R6r, GSXR, Ninja 250r and so on.

To me it looks like your kit was refurbished and rebuilt, thus not matching, it looks like the gold end caps were stripped of anodizing to match the rivet bands.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I too am leaning towards a refurbished or pieced together kit. I actually really like the way it looks and couldn't be happier.

Looking forward to doing some mods to the FE this weekend to make the installation complete. Loving the sounds of this thing! Put 70 miles on the bike today and didn't want to get off.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I know this post is old, but I made an interesting discovery this past weekend while cleaning my bike.

There were some questions about the difference in appearance of the tips on my mufflers as opposed to the ones that come with the standard 2Bros kit for the FZ6. Some proposed they were simply the M1 tips as opposed to the M2 tips. Others proposed that the system was just a very good knock off. I all along have believed that they are legit Two Bros due to the quality of the product, the Two Bros box, the Two Bros manual and CF warranty stickers, and the fit and finish, but have always been intrigued by the discrepancies.

Well, while cleaning up the bike, I got to the tail section and noticed that engraved on the bottom of tips is the little Two Bros emblem encircled in the below legit Two Bros exhaust pic! Upon closer inspection I also noticed that engraved on the tops of the tips was "MAGNESIUM" just like the normal Two Bros tips! The engravings are light, and not raised like the normal ones, but I would still say that this is furhter evidence that what I have is some sort of pieced together Two Bros system. So weird!

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know this post is old, but I made an interesting discovery this past weekend while cleaning my bike.

There were some questions about the difference in appearance of the tips on my mufflers as opposed to the ones that come with the standard 2Bros kit for the FZ6. Some proposed they were simply the M1 tips as opposed to the M2 tips. Others proposed that the system was just a very good knock off. I all along have believed that they are legit Two Bros due to the quality of the product, the Two Bros box, the Two Bros manual and CF warranty stickers, and the fit and finish, but have always been intrigued by the discrepancies.

Well, while cleaning up the bike, I got to the tail section and noticed that engraved on the bottom of tips is the little Two Bros emblem encircled in the below legit Two Bros exhaust pic! Upon closer inspection I also noticed that engraved on the tops of the tips was "MAGNESIUM" just like the normal Two Bros tips! The engravings are light, and not raised like the normal ones, but I would still say that this is furhter evidence that what I have is some sort of pieced together Two Bros system. So weird!

Aren't those different tips than you originally had! :confused:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
The tips in the pic I used above are of a legit factory issue Two Bros system. I was using that pic toshow that my different tips have the same little Two Bros emblem that I encircled above in red as well as the words "MAGNESIUM" engraved on them.

Sorry for the confusion..tried to word it as best I could..