Farewell Discovery!!!!!!

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
So sad :( & im even more disappointed that i'll never get to see her launch :(

Indeed very sad!!!!!!
At least there are tons of videos and pictures that you can see, for example on the NASA web page and also SpaceFlightNow, by the way, both sites should actually show streaming video for tomorrow's trip.

Now being honest, I'm sorry but I also have to tell you it does not matter how many pictures and videos you watch it does not compare with the experience of watching a Shuttle launch live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So sad :( & im even more disappointed that i'll never get to see her launch :(

Me too. I worked for Thiokol for two years on the Space Shuttle boosters (yeah, I really was a rocket scientist!) and got to see several static tests of one motor (watching the shock wave moving from the rocket across the grass, and then the LOUDEST noise I've ever experienced, with the pantlegs flapping behind you...), but to see TWO of them going, along with the Shuttle's LF engines, and to see her fly.... damn...

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Indeed very sad!!!!!!
At least there are tons of videos and pictures that you can see, for example on the NASA web page and also SpaceFlightNow, by the way, both sites should actually show streaming video for tomorrow's trip.

Now being honest, I'm sorry but I also have to tell you it does not matter how many pictures and videos you watch it does not compare with the experience of watching a Shuttle launch live.

Me too. I worked for Thiokol for two years on the Space Shuttle boosters (yeah, I really was a rocket scientist!) and got to see several static tests of one motor (watching the shock wave moving from the rocket across the grass, and then the LOUDEST noise I've ever experienced, with the pantlegs flapping behind you...), but to see TWO of them going, along with the Shuttle's LF engines, and to see her fly.... damn...

You guys have no idea how much I wanted to watch a shuttle launch live :( the thing always has & alwas will BLOW MY MIND !!!!!!!!!!!!

I watch this video at least once a week in full screen & HD & it NEVER fails to blow me away at 1:48 when those 3 engine ignite :eek: :drool: :drool: :drool: Thats some serious Horsepower !!!!!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Best launch video EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtrB9bELGSY]STS-125 launch from T-2 to MECO - High Definition - YouTube[/ame]

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Very emotional low altitude flyby of the 747 with Discovery atop, part of KSC's heart and soul for 3 decades.

I did see it twice ahead, as I was riding my bike to work, and at one point Spaceman, by 4 Non Blondes, was in the background:
"
Spaceman in another place and time
I guess I'm looking for a brand new place
Is there a better life for me?
"

It should be flying over Washington around 9:45 am (EDT)

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe it is coming to NYC and will be placed on the Intrepid. Will be a nice addition to an already very cool museum :thumbup:

Indeed:
Enterprise will move from the Smithsonian in Virginia to the Intrepid in NY
Discovery will go to the Smithsonian in Virginia.
Endeavor will go to the California Science Center in LA
Atlantis will be displayed at the KSC Visitor Complex here in Florida

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just found this one , watch in full screen HD :thumbup: Its brilliant listening to the whole structure groaning under the torture :rockon:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq_shHu4lAs&list=FLGjUaYvrGcxPPDFppfdNgDA&index=1&feature=plpp_video]STS-51C Launch IMAX Camera Footage HD - YouTube[/ame]

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Reminds me of something i read recently:

Lol little off topic but it got a laugh out of me. It is sad to see her being shipped off atop a 747...

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Reminds me of something i read recently:

Lol little off topic but it got a laugh out of me. It is sad to see her being shipped off atop a 747...

I actually was happy to see her on the 747. When I was a kid I built a model of the specially modified 747 and the shuttle (don't remember which shuttle it was). Much better than having her cut up, put on a flatbed and drove up in pieces! At least she could fly one last time! Though she never technically flew just glided....

I just wish I could have seen a shuttle launch. I was in Florida to see one a few years ago and the mission was scrubbed and delayed a few weeks :(

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually was happy to see her on the 747. When I was a kid I built a model of the specially modified 747 and the shuttle (don't remember which shuttle it was). Much better than having her cut up, put on a flatbed and drove up in pieces! At least she could fly one last time! Though she never technically flew just glided....

I just wish I could have seen a shuttle launch. I was in Florida to see one a few years ago and the mission was scrubbed and delayed a few weeks :(

I think it's great they took her on a 747 too, really shows how much power they make, and as you said, being cut up and shipped out in pieces would be tragic.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's great they took her on a 747 too, really shows how much power they make, and as you said, being cut up and shipped out in pieces would be tragic.

Nothing will ever compare to a Saturn 5 launch... I saw one when I was seven... The Saturn V makes the space shuttle look like a toy.... Nasa's glory years are long gone... Very sad...:(

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing will ever compare to a Saturn 5 launch... I saw one when I was seven... The Saturn V makes the space shuttle look like a toy.... Nasa's glory years are long gone... Very sad...:(

Several years down the road the "Heavy Lift" will compare in size the Saturn while being much more powerful.

So far, it is very sad all the uncertainties and lack of leadership.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Several years down the road the "Heavy Lift" will compare in size the Saturn while being much more powerful.

So far, it is very sad all the uncertainties and lack of leadership.

If you even take less than half the money the US wastes on the military and give it to Nasa... America could be on Mars in less than 15 years...

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
If you even take less than half the money the US wastes on the military and give it to Nasa... America could be on Mars in less than 15 years...

I think it is overall sad all the debates regarding the NASA budget.
Many years ago we had the leading edge and hunger to be even better than anybody else. Apart from many things that was a huge inspiration and pride for many many people.
Currently, how can kids and teenagers get inspiration to pursue technological fields when, for example talking about Space Exploration, we do not have our own means to take astronauts to the International Space Station and have to rely on the Russians (at whichever cost they want!!!!) and the Chinese are in a violent race to do their own Space exploration!!!!

Politicians don't learn from previous experiences: it was really bad to have a gap between space programs, and what has happened now, again!!!

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

You will love this then :thumbup:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eWeW5jj1DQ&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLGjUaYvrGcxPPDFppfdNgDA]Apollo 11 Saturn V Launch Lift off - High Speed Cam - HD 720p - YouTube[/ame]