Feeling a shaking/bumpy feeling on the highway

Mr_Green

Reaction score
Visit site
So when I ride my bike on the high way (this only happens on the highway) I feel a slightly shaking or rumbling feeling mostly from the pegs and rear of the bike. It feels like I am riding on a slightly bumpy road I guess is the best way to describe it. From what I've gathered this is probably my chain? The chain is slightly rusted but I've been using a de-ruster and cleaner on it and its gotten somewhat better. And if it is my chain will a kit like this be a good replacement?

Also, My fork oil needs to be replaced as I have recently hit 10,000 miles on the bike. is there a difference between Maxima 15w standard and the zero drag?

Thanks!!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Always a good idea to be on the cautious side and get this figured out now. Cupping or tread wear on a tire could do this. I had a factory front tire do that to me.

Mr_Green

Reaction score
Visit site
Always a good idea to be on the cautious side and get this figured out now. Cupping or tread wear on a tire could do this. I had a factory front tire do that to me.
Okay, I will have someone checkout the tire. Mt tires are year old and they have about 8,000 miles on them. There road 5's I believe. I tightened my chain and it seemed to help a bit.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The tire cupping would be obvious visually and by rubbing your hand on the tread.
The chain should have between 45 to 55 mm (1.77 to 2.17 in.) slack when measuring about midway on the swingarm bottom. It's important to keep the chain slack within specification for a number of reasons, the number one, your safety.

A different sensation on a bike is much different than a car. Your bike chain at speed can blow a hole in the engine case not to mention locking your wheel up which equates to instantly losing traction and losing gyroscope at the rear. Too tight and you can also damage the output shaft or rear wheel bearings
I recommend you address this right away.

Mr_Green

Reaction score
Visit site
The tire cupping would be obvious visually and by rubbing your hand on the tread.
The chain should have between 45 to 55 mm (1.77 to 2.17 in.) slack when measuring about midway on the swingarm bottom. It's important to keep the chain slack within specification for a number of reasons, the number one, your safety.

A different sensation on a bike is much different than a car. Your bike chain at speed can blow a hole in the engine case not to mention locking your wheel up which equates to instantly losing traction and losing gyroscope at the rear. Too tight and you can also damage the output shaft or rear wheel bearings
I recommend you address this right away.
Thank you for this. I fixed the chain slack as it was very very loose. However, the feeling is still there. The tire seems to be fine in my opinion. What else could this be?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If your chain is bad you'll notice some links are not relaxed. You'll notice the links will stay in one position and not flow in a natural straight line. At this point the chain and internal lube are past the usable safe life.
Also a bad wheel bearing may cause an issue. A misadjusted chain could cause a bad wheel bearing.
Don't put a new chain on and adjust it tighter than the specified slack. Chains are not designed to stretch as many motorcycle hacks claim. Adjust new chain to spec and then check it after a break in period. IIRC you said you going with new sprockets and chain.

Last edited:

Mr_Green

Reaction score
Visit site
If your chain is bad you'll notice some links are not relaxed. You'll notice the links will stay in one position and not flow in a natural straight line. At this point the chain and internal lube are past the usable safe life.
Also a bad wheel bearing may cause an issue. A misadjusted chain could cause a bad wheel bearing.
Don't put a new chain on and adjust it tighter than the specified slack. Chains are not designed to stretch as many motorcycle hacks claim. Adjust new chain to spec and then check it after a break in period. IIRC you said you going with new sprockets and chain.
I just checked the chain and it doesn't seem like anything is wrong with it from what I can see (Maybe i just suck at seeing it). but ill just replace it anyway. If I'm doing all of this should I also just replace the rear wheel bearing as well? Also, thank you so much for your help!!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It would be good to check the rear wheel bearing but I wouldn't just replace them unless it makes you feel better.
It wouldn't hurt to check your triple bearings.