Finally got to install the RaceTech fork springs :)

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
So, after putting it off for a couple of months, I finally got to install the RaceTech springs last night. Here's my report:

1) I am 190 lb naked, probably about 200 lb with gear.

2) Racetech 0.95 kg/mm springs installed.

3) Installed spring, then factory washer, then spacer cut to 167mm, then one washer on top (included in the Racetech package), then cap.

4) New 15w fork oil, up to specs (467ml), haven't measured anything other than the volume I've dumped in.

Results:

-- My static sag is about 23mm (measured with the cable-tie method, so maybe not precise).

-- Took it on a short ride as it was drizzling (didn't get it on the highway). The difference, as also reported by other users, is day and night! It's a new bike! The front feels planted, and the best thing I like: braking! I found myself purposefully braking later than usual, so that I can just feel how little the front dives and it just inspires confidence braking, which is something I didn't have before.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE 120 BUCKS YOU'RE GOING TO SPEND ON THIS MOD! BEST MOD EVER, EVEN BETTER THAN MY BELOVED LEO VINCE MOD!

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's good to know. I have the Ohlin Springs for the front but have not done it yet. That's going to be a winter mod. Thanks for the information. :thumbup:

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
im 190 but 220 with full gear. I wonder if you wold need the 1kg spring because of that.

I just switched to 15w oil and it made a huge difference. Should have done the springs too but didnt have the money at the time. Were you running 15w before the change?

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
im 190 but 220 with full gear. I wonder if you wold need the 1kg spring because of that.

I just switched to 15w oil and it made a huge difference. Should have done the springs too but didnt have the money at the time. Were you running 15w before the change?

No, I had the stock 5w oil in it before the change. It came out brown like poo..

Regarding the weight---I'm 190 measured, but never really measured myself with the gear on, so you might be exactly like me. I just assumed it's 10 lb more, but I could be wrong. 0.95 seem really fine to me, but still---that's one ride only so far. I was impressed though!!!

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
No, I had the stock 5w oil in it before the change. It came out brown like poo..

Regarding the weight---I'm 190 measured, but never really measured myself with the gear on, so you might be exactly like me. I just assumed it's 10 lb more, but I could be wrong. 0.95 seem really fine to me, but still---that's one ride only so far. I was impressed though!!!
Well my new dainese jacket is 7lbs alone lol. Add boots, pants, helmet, gloves.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
The stock oil is 0wt not 5 I think it actually compares to 2.5wt. I think 10wt may be the best compromise for the fz fork. I thought 15wt did slow down the dive but made the front end lifeless over rough roads.

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a fat bastard at 230lbs without my gear on. Just completed 1243 miles in the Texas Hill country this weekend running the Three Twisted Sisters and other miscellaneous routes down there. I love the FZ-6, but know the suspension could use some tuning. What is available that is a direct replacement for both front and rear? I do mostly sport touring and diving into a 15 MPH corner seemed a bit spongy at times. I am working on the weight issues too so something adjustable would be preferred. My buddy is running Ohlins on the rear and Sachs on the front of his Ducati ST4. I am sure that is awesome, but I am looking for a sensible alternative as well. Give me all you got so I can be informed.

Thanks.

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
I also tried to get my springs from here but they don't have an online paying form on their website. I got an email from them after I ordered with them asking form my credit card information over email so they can charge me. Is there a way to pay with Paypal for these springs? I am not feeling confident in sending my credit card details over email.

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
I also tried to get my springs from here but they don't have an online paying form on their website. I got an email from them after I ordered with them asking form my credit card information over email so they can charge me. Is there a way to pay with Paypal for these springs? I am not feeling confident in sending my credit card details over email.

I got the same thing, and I gave them a call. The lady on the phone processed my order while I was on the phone---charged card, confirmed address, everything. I believe the package shipped out the same day. They are a huge company, I am also surprised they don't have an online payment facilities, but they are legit nevertheless.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: OEM vs RT data

^^ Thanks for the info guys....

I grabbed the OEM data from the FZ manual and Race Tech data to Post in this thread. . . NOTE: OEM is progressive rate (k1 & K2) vs RTs fixed rate

YAMAHA DATA:
Fork spring free length:___ 354.0 mm (13.94 in) ; Limit 347 mm (13.56 in)
Installed length: _________347.0 mm (13.66 in)
Spring rate K1: __________7.40 N/mm (42.25 lb/in) (0.75 kgf/mm)
Spring rate K2: __________11.80 N/mm (67.38 lb/in) (1.20 kgf/mm)
Spring stroke K1: ________0.0–70.0 mm (0.00–2.76 in)
Spring stroke K2: ________70.0–130.0 mm (2.76–5.12 in)
Recommended oil Suspension oil: 01 or equivalent
Quantity:______________ 467.0 cm³ (15.79 US oz) (16.47 Imp.oz)
Level: ________________ 134.0 mm (5.28 in)

RACETECH:
RT - Digital Product Search

Stock Fork Spring Rate: .770 kg/mm (Front stock)

Modifiers: Riding Type: Street
Recommended Fork Spring Rate: 0.92 kg/mm (use closest available)

Modifiers: Riding Type: Road Racing
Recommended Fork Spring Rate: 0.974 kg/mm (use closest available)

RT FRK SPR 36.7x34.5x315 .95kg FRSP PN: S3732095 $109.99

REAR SHOCK SPRINGS

YAMAHA:

Spring free length:______ 185.0 mm (7.28 in)
Installed length:________ 172.0 mm (6.77 in)
Spring rate:___________ K1 127.40 N/mm (727.45 lb/in) (12.99 kgf/mm)
Spring stroke:__________ K1 0.0–50.0 mm (0.00–1.97 in)
Enclosed gas/air pressure:_ (STD) 1200 kPa (170.7 psi) (12.0 kgf/cm²)

RACETECH:
Recommended Shock Spring Rate: 12.875 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Shock Spring Rate: 12.5 kg/mm (stock)

SK SPRING:__ 7.0 x 2.25" 12.5kg SESP 702250700 $119.99

RT values entered:
Rider Weight (without gear): 190lbs
Bike Weight (semi-wet): 445lbs

Hopefully it makes it a tad easier to compare apples to apples. . . :Flip:
It makes sense that the low rates on the OEM spring lead to Nose dive during braking @ 0.75 kgf/mm... Although I should confirm that kilogram of Force (kgf) and "kg" calculate to the same thing???

Last edited:

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site
Race Tech is a good company, been around for a long time they won't rip you off id you give them your CC info. I went to there shop on a trip out to the west coast and picked up my valves and springs for my CRF450. After the instal it was like butter coming off a triple, I can't recommend them enough. Call and talk to a tech they will dial you in.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
looking forward to doing this this summer but...
im bout 150lbs plus gear but i plan on keeping the bike a while and im wondering if i should set it up for a heavier rider (180-190lbs)
also how long did it take to get the parts
and can RT do a rear setup or should i look elsewhere, and the price for that too?

rypsis

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting the RaceTech springs and improve performance at the track this way a bit.

So a couple of questions about the procedure of replacing the springs.

1 ) Should you replace other components such as fork seals etc. while replacing the springs?

2) Do the forks need to come off when changing springs? (If you change the seals they have to come off obviously, but what about just the springs/oil?)

3) Did you need to get any parts that were not included with the Racetech spring kit? Or did you have to modify existing parts in the forks?

4) The website doesn't mention the word "pair" with the non-stock springs, but judging by the price ( $ 114,99 ), they come in pairs?

And has anybody tried the Gold Valve Cartridge Emulator Kit for the FZ6?

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: OEM vs RT data

Although I should confirm that kilogram of Force (kgf) and "kg" calculate to the same thing???

yeah they should be the same thing. kgf is just the force due to gravity that 1 kilogram exerts and it changes by gravitational force ie. different planets so i wouldn't imagine that it'd be differ'nt

stanco

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting the RaceTech springs and improve performance at the track this way a bit.

So a couple of questions about the procedure of replacing the springs.

1 ) Should you replace other components such as fork seals etc. while replacing the springs?

2) Do the forks need to come off when changing springs? (If you change the seals they have to come off obviously, but what about just the springs/oil?)

3) Did you need to get any parts that were not included with the Racetech spring kit? Or did you have to modify existing parts in the forks?

4) The website doesn't mention the word "pair" with the non-stock springs, but judging by the price ( $ 114,99 ), they come in pairs?

And has anybody tried the Gold Valve Cartridge Emulator Kit for the FZ6?

I changed mine few months back and hope it can give u some insights.

1) up to u...
2) yes
3) no need, just a 1-to-1 swop with the stock spring. But racetech spring are shorter than stock, so u need to cut the spacer (I think this is the correct term?). Don't worry, it's provided for, at least for mine.
4) yup, the price is for 1 set of spring (left n right)

Wish to try the emulator too, but only after I get my rear shock n exhaust changed first! :p

Last edited:

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
So, after putting it off for a couple of months, I finally got to install the RaceTech springs last night. Here's my report:

1) I am 190 lb naked, probably about 200 lb with gear.

2) Racetech 0.95 kg/mm springs installed.

3) Installed spring, then factory washer, then spacer cut to 167mm, then one washer on top (included in the Racetech package), then cap.

4) New 15w fork oil, up to specs (467ml), haven't measured anything other than the volume I've dumped in.

Results:

-- My static sag is about 23mm (measured with the cable-tie method, so maybe not precise).

-- Took it on a short ride as it was drizzling (didn't get it on the highway). The difference, as also reported by other users, is day and night! It's a new bike! The front feels planted, and the best thing I like: braking! I found myself purposefully braking later than usual, so that I can just feel how little the front dives and it just inspires confidence braking, which is something I didn't have before.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE 120 BUCKS YOU'RE GOING TO SPEND ON THIS MOD! BEST MOD EVER, EVEN BETTER THAN MY BELOVED LEO VINCE MOD!

This may sound dumb so I apologize in advance for being a COMPLETE newbie. Whats kind of tools will I need to complete this mod? Thanks