First ride with the R6 forks on my 05 ------- WOW

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So for a long time my riding pals have been telling me how different the bike is with R6 forks. Words like 'more planted in the corners', 'the best mod ever for the FZ6', and stuff like that. I figured they were better, but as time passed I wondered if my expectations had grown bigger than what the mod would deliver. NOT!

I just finished my check ride, and after bedding the brakes and making sure that everything felt buttoned down, I think I took every sweeping on and off ramp on Route 17! The bike feels amazing and they are great.

They are better than great..... they are SOFA KING GREAT!

Many thanks to all who have posted about the necessity to do this mod. Thanks to Chris and Joe, who nudged me off the fence, and to Matt for selling such a well maintained set.

And I will add my voice to those who say that as performance mods go, this is a must do.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Backing out of this thread before I drink the coolaid too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Go drink young grasshopper! Blah

-
Now when the back is done, we are talking transformation! No more rocking horse changing your line from variants in road surface!

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
"We call them The Fork People, they always act like they know something we don't. Forkin' smug bastards."

:D

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
But now a serious question. I just returned from my morning ride and i notice that the bike seems more flickable. I didnt take any measurements before i upgraded, but I am wondering if the R6 forks are shorter and thereby reduce the trail. I have the fork tubes flush with the top triple just as the stock ones were.

Does anyone know if the suspension geometry is changed by the upgrade?

jesse_sanders

Reaction score
Visit site
But now a serious question. I just returned from my morning ride and i notice that the bike seems more flickable. I didnt take any measurements before i upgraded, but I am wondering if the R6 forks are shorter and thereby reduce the trail. I have the fork tubes flush with the top triple just as the stock ones were.

Does anyone know if the suspension geometry is changed by the upgrade?

I don't know but if you tell me what year the r6 forks are I'll look up the length of them.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like 43mm diameter and 166mm long

Thanks [MENTION=29107]jesse_sanders[/MENTION]. Where are you looking that up? I'd like to know the length of the stock 05 FZ6 fork as well.

jesse_sanders

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks [MENTION=29107]jesse_sanders[/MENTION]. Where are you looking that up? I'd like to know the length of the stock 05 FZ6 fork as well.

Edited my original post, I'm American so metric measurements are meaningless to me. Let me keep digging.

Sorry about the bad information.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IIRC they are 12mm shorter.
That said mine are raised 6 or 8mm above the triple and it is very flickable.
I've never had stability issues at speed and I know I had them at 12mm for a while but think I settled on 8.

SAG is like 12/32mm / rear 10/29mm and I'm 185lbs w out gear. The bike is compliant, flickable, and very predictable!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just found the thread on SBN that shows 7/16 shorter for the R6. That jives with the 12mm difference.

So assuming no big change in sag, i just dropped the nose almost 1/2 inch. That explains the new found agility!

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, yeah - forgot about the slightly shorter front.

I also forgot to tell you about the built-in radar invisibility cloak. That feature can be quite useful.

But on a slightly more serious note,..

There's a new group called "Fork People" (thank you "bricks" - yes we are smug).

You can join Groups by going to your profile, then scrolling down to find the Groups listing on the left panel. Once there you can filter for "Hobbies, etc." and maybe you can search.

If you have made the mod or if you want to, enter the request and we'll approve it! Then you too can be a smug baahstid. Blah

Last edited: