First time for everything....

Laurence243

Reaction score
Visit site
I dropped my bike tonight. I was making a left turn out of a parking lot, hit some sand, back tire slid out, tried to correct, ended up low sliding at about 15mph. I'm a bit scraped up but otherwise ok.

The bike took the brunt of it. Going to need a new fairing, left side head light glass, gas tank (if the dent bothers me enough to spend $700 on a new one), and the handlebars straightened. There are scuffs on the transmission housing and the metal bits under the seat but thats it. Going to need a new helmet too.

Any idea how much it will cost for parts? Should I get insurance involved? I have full coverage.

How do I straighten the handlebars?

Pics....

iOuzzFT.jpg

SRzx7Wd.jpg

sM5ZGBH.jpg

NAfnJIi.jpg

yg11c9I.jpg

E0d7emF.jpg

yRAoid3.jpg

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are OK!

If you can afford to fix without getting insurance involved that would be better, what I hear mostly is insurance fixes everything and with the price of new parts the bike is usually totaled. Look on the forum, post up what you need, look for folks selling parts, look on eBay for used parts. Handlebars are cheap and important, I'd replace instead of trying to straighten. Ron Ayers had parts and is reasonable (not the same as cheap :) ). If your helmet hit the ground I'd replace - protect your brain. The case scratches look bad but don't appear to be too much. Some have sanded and painted if the scratches are not too deep. The front plastics are the most expensive, maybe you can find someone doing a naked conversion and buy their old fairings or do the naked conversion on that bike.

Wishing you great success. If you had to have this happen at least it's the best time of the year. I am impatiently waiting for spring.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're OK Laurence!

If the bars are just rotated out of position, meaning the grips are at the same level, then you just loosen the four bolts on the clamp and rotate the bar till the grips are at the height you want, or that you remember. If one side is higher than the other, then it's pretty certain that the bar is bent. You can usually improve/reduce the unevenness. If there's any kink or crease in the tube then you really need to replace them for safety's sake.

Chris

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry and that really stinks! best of luck mending and getting the bike all sorted out. Let us know if you need anything.

And a RAVEN one too! Sadness :(:(

Do a search for "ALLMETAL" its a product that can fill in those case scuffs. Its bondo in an aluminum form. It works pretty well. In those threads you'll find some specific paint details too so you can get match with off the shelf materials.

Good luck!
F/I

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Matt, sorry to hear about the off. Winter time around Idaho sucks most of the time, lots of sand on the roadway. Part of the risk you take riding during the winter, I went down last year hitting the deicer and tore my ACL.

Did you have frame sliders? From the description of the crash, and the pictures of the damages, I'm guessing no?

If you're patient enough, you should be able to find replacement parts here on this forum. The tank will be the most difficult to replace or repair, and most expensive. I have a spare tank. but it's a different color and it does have a dent or two. But if you're interested getting mine repaired and repainted, I can offer you a pretty good deal.

One of the most popular mods here on this forum are the FZ1 bars, if you're interested, this might be a good opportunity to get one. Some people take this opportunity to go naked. But everything that is damaged, I have seen for sale at one point or another here on this forum, even in your color.

Last edited:

Laurence243

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm lucky I didn't get hurt in any real way. Live and learn, I'll be back on it as soon as it's fixed.

No frame sliders. I will be ordering some with the new parts.

I am going to try cooling the dent with liquid co2 from upside down canned air then heating with a heat gun to see if that pops it out. If not I'll probably just sand and paint it for now.

I got the fairing off last night. Pretty easy actually. I think to realign the handlebars I need to loosen the four bolts holding the clamps on the front fork and twist it back straight.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine had simliar damage when I bought it.

With the new tank, fairing stay, etc, about $1,400 in parts and a days work going slow...

Partzilla was a little bit cheaper than my local, private shop...

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fwiw, the tank being pushed in like that, it stretched the metal a lot. Should you heat and attempt to pop it out, it may very well take the look of a goose egg with an outward bulge.
If you take the tank to a body that has Spitznagel gun, it spot welds studs to the tank, then use a slide hammmer to pull on the indivual studs taking the metal with it, it offers the benefit of more control plus the act of spot welding shrnks the metal.

But, that opening is large enough you might just be able to get a dolly in there too. Good luck what ever you decide.

Laurence243

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd look up new prices; Partzilla.com - OEM Powersports Parts from Honda, Kawasaki Polaris, Suzuki and Yamaha at discounts up to 80% off MSRP and compare the new price to what's used and their condition..

Is the headlight assembly included, fairing stay(ONLY if straight-naked conversion), inner black fairing? (all those things add up in a hurry)

The inner fairings are reusable, two of them have some cracks but I can live with that.

I couldnt find body parts on partzilla... I am maybe not good at navigating their site :x

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm lucky I didn't get hurt in any real way. Live and learn, I'll be back on it as soon as it's fixed.

No frame sliders. I will be ordering some with the new parts.

I am going to try cooling the dent with liquid co2 from upside down canned air then heating with a heat gun to see if that pops it out. If not I'll probably just sand and paint it for now.

I got the fairing off last night. Pretty easy actually. I think to realign the handlebars I need to loosen the four bolts holding the clamps on the front fork and twist it back straight.

I have a near-identical tank dent, I tried the heat gun/CO2 trick with no luck. Bondo and a repaint would probably be cheaper than a new tank.
9390622594_23cb87b1d4_z.jpg

For the headlight "mole" repair- http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-to-s-/39051-how-repair-headlight-mole-07-inexpensive-2.html

For the scratches on the case, http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...992-paint-black-frame-engine-color-match.html

For aligning the bars, try loosening all the upper and lower triple tree pinch bolts, then re-torque them. If the bars are still pointing left while the wheel is straight, there could be a bigger problem with something on your front end.

Laurence243

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a near-identical tank dent, I tried the heat gun/CO2 trick with no luck. Bondo and a repaint would probably be cheaper than a new tank.

9390622594_23cb87b1d4_z.jpg

For the headlight "mole" repair- http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-to-s-/39051-how-repair-headlight-mole-07-inexpensive-2.html

For the scratches on the case, http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...992-paint-black-frame-engine-color-match.html

For aligning the bars, try loosening all the upper and lower triple tree pinch bolts, then re-torque them. If the bars are still pointing left while the wheel is straight, there could be a bigger problem with something on your front end.

Great info, thanks man :) anyone know what paint to use on the grab bars by the tail light?

Also does anyone know what size Allen wrench is needed for the bolts on the fork triples and the torque specs?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bike Bandit also has OEM parts. It's pretty good when you want to compare prices. Cheaper than the dealership.

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
It happened to me too this year. Fortunately I found the whole fairing from one of the members here.

And here it is another member's selling his fairing also. I hope it's still available for you.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/bike...iring-other-naked-project-take-off-parts.html

If it's too high price you want to pay, you can always make her naked. They sell kits on ebay or get separate parts to make it naked. It can be done, look at StreetFighter section of the forum.

I got my bike almost done, waiting on rear wheels which was bent. Good luck!