FJ-09 anyone?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all -
I am looking to move on to a new bike and have been giving some serious consideration to the Yamaha FJ-09. Truth be told I think there are really slim choices in the sporty type sport touring market right now.

I wanted to know if there are folks here on that bike now and get opinions on how you like it versus the Fz6.

Yes I know I could hop on the FJ-09 forum and get opinions there as well. I thought though it would be good to get the perspective from a FZ6 rider.

Thanks
Tom

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
No experience with the FJ09, but if you’re looking for an awesome sport-touring bike with an in-line triple engine, my Tiger 1050 is for sale. And I’m local. https://www.600riders.com/forum/sel...2010-tiger-1050-over-12k-mods.html#post640921

It’s basically a bigger, more refined, more powerful/torquey version of the FZ6. A little bit more upright, I find it better for long-distance comfort. With the 1050 engine and the suspension/brake mods, it handles 2-up riding with ease. Willing to negotiate a bit on the price. If you’re interested in checking it out, let me know!

Last edited:

Heywood

Reaction score
Visit site
What have you looked at in the "slim" market?
Triumph Tiger
Honda VFR or NC750x, Africa Twin (depending on your use)
Suzuki VStrom
Kawi Versys

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
My buddy has a fz09 - That thing is cool. Very torque, smaller or the same size as the FZ6. Weights a tad bit more. Honestly I like my fz6 better though. I am jealous of the lower RPM power though.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I went to the NYC motorcycle show in December. I was pretty dissapointed of what is offered in the sport touring class. There seems very little margin between the hulking big touring bikes and the go fast japanese rocket bikes.

I liked the new Yamaha Tracer GT but am not in love with the 13k price tag. Essentially it is the same bike as the FJ09 with hard bags, heated grips and a better console display.
I hated the Versys and Vstrom - yukk really dorky Lol

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I liked the new Yamaha Tracer GT but am not in love with the 13k price tag. Essentially it is the same bike as the FJ09 with hard bags, heated grips and a better console display.

Exactly this. I've always loved the look of the Ducati Multistrada with the bags (slim profile - I don't need steamer trunks) - but of course there is maintenance/cost (plus my yamaha loyalty). To me the Tracer GT gets pretty close to what I would want in several (or more) years, as a used model. I love my heated grips on the FZ6, and cruise control would be a great addition (for the highway trips I take with my brother on his Harley). So I've tucked this away... don't need it now, but someday, this is my current Go-To.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And a quick shifter, better and fully adjustable forks, and cruise control, and remote rear preload adjustment... By the time you've added just the racks, side bags, grips and done some work on the forks you've already spent most of the difference between the standard and the GT version.

IMO you'd still get it for a good price, if you bought it in Europe those 13k USD would be 12,5k€ (over 14k USD)...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've put about 25mi on one. It was 2 years ago but like the FZ it needs work on the suspension. That said the platform is a better starting point than the FZ if you want low end torque, power to wheelie and get a little crazy.

I like it and would add it if I had the space to keep. But again, it needs some personalization.

As I know it the rear shock is a bolt in from another. The front, not sure of the options.

That said I'm not a big touring rider. It is flickable and that is a starting point.

Heywood

Reaction score
Visit site
I hated the Versys and Vstrom - yukk really dorky Lol

C'mon the Versys is a great looking bike and performer!
Yep, it's mine :D
UtqwoNO.jpg

Last edited:

Heywood

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree the seat height is a little too tall. Styling looks more like an adventure bike than a sport tourer - I am OK with that

It is a tall bike. that seat is a custom from LAAM and is set up for the previous owner who was 6' 3". It's too tall for me even at 6' and I put a factory seat back on and can flat foot it but the bike is fairly top heavy compared to others and if you're not prepared for it, it will catch you off guard. There is a lowering kit that a lot of people seem to use and like which brings it down 1.5 - 2" IIRC. Also the pic is taken on the center stand which adds to it's height. It's my daily commuter w/o bags exc. for when it rains.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode my Fazer for 13 years before i bought my Tracer and like when I bought the Fazer I have not regretted one minute. It will be 2 years old in May.

I changed the pipe for an Akrapovic carbon on day one, took off the handguards, changed the grips for Rizoma Sport blue grips, added an R&G tail tidy and a Givi top box mount otherwise it is stock.

I love the torque and the sound from that Akro is amazing! I had to sacrifice the centre stand for the pipe but that is minor.

I had read lots of horror stories about head shake and it can happen but it depends how you ride it.

I can't add a pic from my work laptop but when I get a chance I will.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Subscribed. I replaced my fazer with a vfr 8 years ago and still love it. Better than the sum of the parts. Don’t look at the specs

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Dan,
I wanted to get a leftover Interceptor. I love the way that bike looks. my trouble is bike reviewers seem to hate it! that would explain why there is a glut of 2014 and 2015 brand new bikes available. it is a crying shame Honda killed a legendary bike [he shakes his head in disbelief]

What year is your Vfr?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I spent many months considering bikes and decided to go for this one.

I put down a deposit today on this bike. 2017 FJ-09 in White. It turns out this color is harder to find than blue.
The dealer is getting it from PA. It's kinda cool he gave a price without adding freight or prep fees. they aren't even
charging extra to get the bike to NY. And I am told it is in a crate so it hasn't been on the showroom floor for 2 years.

Attachments

• fj-09 white.jpg
    fj-09 white.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 23

zrexrich

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats! I'm a fan of triple engines after having a Street Triple R. Report back once you get through the break in. Only negative I read was some high speed stability issues in the initial road tests.