Flying Mattress

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My dad told me he saw that last night, said it was comical how he fell on it.
Thanks for sharing...
Rider just needed a blanky for a quick nap! Blah

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some good riding here. Not something you would be expecting!!

No, it's horrible riding. This is a great video on why you should stay away from these type of vehicles. Just like their driving, you can't trust anyone to secure their loads. Learn how to identify these hazards and stay away. Make your past fast, don't linger around these hazard, especially behind them.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
What Vegas said. Hanging about will get you killed near these.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Fawlty

Reaction score
Visit site
No, it's horrible riding. This is a great video on why you should stay away from these type of vehicles. Just like their driving, you can't trust anyone to secure their loads. Learn how to identify these hazards and stay away. Make your past fast, don't linger around these hazard, especially behind them.

I thought this rider did well to stay on his feet. I take your point about passing fast and trying to identify the hazard. Difficult to say exactly, but he didn't appear to be lingering to me. As things turned out, he would have been better staying behind the vehicle and the mattress would have missed him. You never know. Sometimes, no matter what precautions you take, things happen. Either way, one lucky man!

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
A new type of airbag for motorcycles. If a mattress would jump under every rider before they go down, we wouldn't have injuries or messed up bikes anymore. lol

But really, I agree with VegasRider. I avoid vehicles with loads in the back regardless of if I'm on my bike or in my cage. Back in th day, I had a pickup with lumber on a rack stop next to me on a freeway off-ramp and every piece of lumber came off the front when he stopped. If he was behind me, it would have came through my back window and decapitated me (2-seater car). I was already stopped so I didn't have a choice if he was next to me or not. SInce then, I try to avoid vehicles with loads.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A new type of airbag for motorcycles. If a mattress would jump under every rider before they go down, we wouldn't have injuries or messed up bikes anymore. lol

But really, I agree with VegasRider. I avoid vehicles with loads in the back regardless of if I'm on my bike or in my cage. Back in th day, I had a pickup with lumber on a rack stop next to me on a freeway off-ramp and every piece of lumber came off the front when he stopped. If he was behind me, it would have came through my back window and decapitated me (2-seater car). I was already stopped so I didn't have a choice if he was next to me or not. SInce then, I try to avoid vehicles with loads.

Like this one? Blah

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20170410_120549.jpg
    20170410_120549.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 117

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The bike should have passed him WAY before that mattress came loose...

I would have passed it even without all that stuff atop the cage.

Get ahead of the danger...(or potential danger).

Same as riding behind or to the side of an 18 wheeler. When a tire lets loose on it, YOUR road kill...
looks fine, TILL you get smacked...

He was lucky, it could have been much worse...

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Get ahead of the danger...(or potential danger).

Same as riding behind or to the side of an 18 wheeler. When a tire lets loose on it, YOUR road kill...
looks fine, TILL you get smacked...

++100 ^^^

Adding to this; don't ignore the warning signs here:
Thumping, burned rubber smell, chunks of tire coming off ect. If you witness any of these, get as far away from the rig as possible as it makes one hell of a commotion and the eruption alone could blow you right off the bike if near!!!

I was stuck on a narrow long grade last year and was waaaaay back when an inner rear blew and you do not want to be near it! It can be (was in this case) very explosive and aside from tire parts you get all the loose gravel and loose debris from under the rig too. Any one of which could be painful or deadly....

I can't imagine having an outer tire blow while next to it! I'm pretty sure you will not be waxing your bike under a shade tree the next day! :shakehead: :shakehead: