free fz6 mods?

Skote

Reaction score
Visit site
im buying a fz6 on monday and it has scorpion slip ons and a pc3 already are there any free mods that will add some power that could get insight on also is a high flow filter worth it.......

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Air box mod, and co adjustment are the only things I know about. But with you already having a pc3 the co might be pointless

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome, and congrats. I just installed a K&N filter on my '06. (Which is red and faster than the other colors as noted above.) I didn't expect much difference in power, but it's noticeable. Sounds a bit throatier, too.

There's an airbox mod that might be up your alley as well. I believe it requires a hacksaw or cutting pliers, allen wrenches, a screwdriver and a 10mm wrench. No $ at all. Search "airbox mod" and it will appear.

I'm not sure how these two things make a difference with the FI being computer controlled and all, but people say they do. I definitely notice added power just from the filter change.

It might be just as well to hold off at least for the first few rides though. Above 9K it's a different bike so I might make sure she's accustomed to the power increase with revs before adding more power. I have a little trouble finding traffic-free times and places to practice my 8K throttle roll-ons. Any word from the FZ1 FCE guy if an FZ6 FCE might ever be forthcoming?

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did. I have the PC, though it is disconnected. When I connected it with the stock map an my stock setup, it ran way too rich at high rpms and stalled after 10-15 seconds every time I got on it. Do you think I should go back to stock filter until I get things figured out on a dyno or something to avoid running it too hot?

Skote

Reaction score
Visit site
lol alright ill pull those brakes HAH ....i assume im expecting too much from this bike its an extra for my gf to ride i have a 2006 fz1 as my everyday ride i just wanna get some more umph outa the fz6 for when i ride it :p but i must say its deff. not slow just not as fast as my fz1 :)

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
im buying a fz6 on monday and it has scorpion slip ons and a pc3 already are there any free mods that will add some power that could get insight on also is a high flow filter worth it.......

Seriously, there's just not a lot of tuning and testing going on here on this forum, and a lot of people that'll tell you to get an R6 (Or other ridiculous comment!!) if you want more power. But I guess that you can tell that from two pages of humorous responses and something like 2 serious responses :D. I enjoy the humour but I like to tweek and tune also.

Anyway, I have an 07 FZ6 and an 09 FZ1. Since the FZ6 and FZ1 engines are both high reving, high performance Yamaha engines stolen from their racing brothers, I have to assume a lot of the FZ1 mods will work great on the FZ6. Obviously since the FZ6 puts out around 85 hp stock and the FZ1 around 130 hp stock, the specific HP increase for each mod won't directly compare to the FZ6 but the Percentage increases should be similar.

With that said, check out Ivan's sight (LINK). (Since you have an FZ1, you're probably familiar with Ivan) He has dyno charts for the FZ1 showing the gains of slip-ons, full exhaust, airbox cut mod, trimmed subthrottle plates etc. etc. FWIW: He sales a Fuel Cut Eliminator (FCE) for the FZ1 and he sales PCIII & PCV with the map he developed for the FZ1, so you may think his data is scewed to show his products as superior, but too many guys over on the FZ1 forum have dyno'ed and proven Ivan's charts are right on. Obviously, different dynos measure different but as long as you look at the overall shape of the curves and focus on percentage gained rather then specific HP value, different dynos can be compared.

With all of the typical Free and not-so-free bolt-on mods, this chart shows what can be gained on the FZ1. The top end increase is a good thing but what really makes the difference is the jump in midrange. The stock FZ6 and FZ1 both have a lazy midrange. Here's just one of his charts that show a 16% gain in peak HP, but the real meat, that we would use everyday is the 36% increase at 7.45K RPM. Imagine if we can get similar percentage gains from the FZ6.

stkvsfinalSO.gif

Last edited:

Skote

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i have done most of these mods to the fz1 i just realized that the guy i got the fz6 from was running a zero map in his power commander the whole time ? lol so im going to do some mapping this week and play a bit....im going to do the air box mod and remap and see how i feel lol...i had it indicating 145 today soooo its not slow ...not at all....although i had my fz1 indicating 170+ on a long straight stretch i have no buisness going that fast but ...well i guess im young and irrisponsible at heart