Front wheel lock-up

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
That explains alot of questions, and answers I see from riders in the States on various pages.

There's no way a day or two on a 125/250 equips anyone to ride big bikes on the road. There's a lot wrong with the current UK system, but being trained and tested on appropriate bikes for the level of licence required is something the government has got right.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That explains alot of questions, and answers I see from riders in the States on various pages.

There's no way a day or two on a 125/250 equips anyone to ride big bikes on the road. .

Sadly, that's how it is. However most are smart enough to start off out on the street with an appropriate bike for their given skills. But there are also many riders who don't even take the time and get an official license or take a class to learn and ride anyways.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Sadly, that's how it is. However most are smart enough to start off out on the street with an appropriate bike for their given skills. But there are also many riders who don't even take the time and get an official license or take a class to learn and ride anyways.

This happens way too often. I'm in a motorcycle group on Facebook for Chicago (and the suburbs around it), and it seems that everyday there are people asking things like "Looking for a beginner bike, what are my options?" and I see people responding with things like "Don't waste your time on a 600, you'll be bored. I start out on an R1 (or GSXR1000, or similar liter bike that's way too much for a beginner)." It's usually these same people who post things like "The license test wasn't that bad considering I never took it."

It's mind-blowing to me that some of these people haven't already been in an accident. :rolleyes: :(

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

As Harleys (very popular down here), 365 days of riding is available down here, and $ is often not an object, I've seen brand new riders pass the HD course, buy a full size HD(having NEVER ridden one). (the older guys/crowd).

They can't be seen on a Jap bike (not cool enough), have to have the fingerless gloves, tattoos, no helmets, etc. The few that buy a jap cruiser(can't afford the HD), mostly apoligize that its NOT a HD, which I then just laugh...;)

I have personally seen one of my higher ups (prior to retirement) do EXACTLY THIS. When he left the station parking lot, his feet were sticking "OUT" going around the corner should he tip over.. Just shook my head.... Last I heard, he did NOT wreck it.

Last edited:

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
My neighbor just got a monster 750. I parked next to him and introduced myself. Hes starting msf today. I gave him some words of wisdom and my copy of proficient motorcycling and told him theres more where that came from. Oh yea and buy some gear. Im in nyc.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My neighbor just got a monster 750. I parked next to him and introduced myself. Hes starting msf today. I gave him some words of wisdom and my copy of proficient motorcycling and told him theres more where that came from. Oh yea and buy some gear. Im in nyc.

At least he is taking the MSF, although he's doing it in the wrong order. The bike should come last, after a successful completion with the MSF. What you could do is help in progress riding out on the streets. But he needs about an hour on his own bike in an empty parking lot, practicing his quick stops, swerves, clutch control, slow tight turns, etc before he even tackles the surface streets. Having you help will pay off in a big way, including when it's time to hit the streets and tackle the traffic.

Davo

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got an '07 last week and the very biggest difference between it and my previous motorcycle ('92 Nighthawk 750) is that the front brake is MUCH more powerful. I could grab all the front brake all I wanted with the Nighthawk and as long as there was no loose material on the pavement, it was no problem to control. The aggression with which the FZ6 dives and slows with even moderate front brake application makes me wonder how careful I need to be while I'm practicing emergency stops with it (which obviously I'm doing lots of right now since I'm getting familiar with a new bike). How easily will the front lock up with stock pads? Will the rear typically lift before the front locks? I'm referring particularly to when in normal traction conditions. I don't need anyone to tell me that if I'm on a slick spot or loose material that it will lock up easily! But on average decent pavement, how much concern of a front lock up is there?

I do realize that this still depends greatly on tire, relative descriptions of pressure applied, exact pavement quality and everything else, but I just want to see what anyone that has plenty of miles and maybe a few real emergency stops on this bike has to say about the matter.

Thanks in advance!
Actually the Fz6 front brakes are not that great, especially compared to a sport bike. I would even say that they are slightly under powered.
The diving feeling you’re experiencing is more from the soft springs or possibly you’re low on fork oil and the front end is over compressing during braking.

Paul Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Never has the front locked up on any bikes I've had, yes the Fz6 brakes bite hard indeed when first new to them, more than any other bike I've owned, you get used to it quick enough all the same, as the lads said if the nose is diving a lot.. like mine did, replace the fork springs to your weight,

K

kristoffersmith

Tire Pressure and temperature, along with road temp and texture make a big difference. I find that anything over 32 psi makes for a slippy front end.