Fuel gauge question

mjbzak

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay so I've got a new problem to deal with my bike. When i started it up to go for my first ride I noticed that my fuel gauge was acting weird it started out at 3 bars and dropped pretty quickly down to nothing and went into reserve but I knew I had almost a half tank of gas. So on my next ride I filled up my tank at the start and when I turned my bike back on it was reading full but is blinking. So I lifted my tank today to look around and see that the green wire with the yellow dots is frayed so I do believe I've found my problem. So the next question is what are my options at fixing this? I will say that I'm not very skilled in electrical work but I'm willing to try and learn. Thanks in advanced

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How much wire is sticking out from the plug (that goes to the tank) ?

Obviously, you barely have contact (with the fluctuation) and that portion of the wire needs to be replaced.

Several options,

(1)pluck the metal end of the actual connector from the plastic plug. If you can undo the wire from that end and replace that, then join to where the main harness isn't damaged.. If not, here's a place you may be able to match up your old end with to put a new wire and END back in: Honda - Kawasaki Motorcycle Turn Signal Connectors

(2) If there's enough "good wire" cut it out and replace, soldier/heat shrink, etc it in place.

(3) scroung up an entire new end (from a parted out bike) and again, wire it into the "good part" of the wire.

mjbzak

Reaction score
Visit site
It's actually not pulled out of the connector. It must have been rubbing on something under the tank and has actually warn through the wire and has just frayed it guess my only real option is to cut the frayed part out and splice it back together?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's actually not pulled out of the connector. It must have been rubbing on something under the tank and has actually warn through the wire and has just frayed it guess my only real option is to cut the frayed part out and splice it back together?

Depends on how bad it is. if its cutting out, there's not enough strands inside.

If most of the wire is worn away, cutting and re-attaching will work BUT keep in mind, that wire is pretty short to start with and taking out say two inches, you won't have enough slack to lift the tank. Putting in a longer piece in the middle (doesn't have to be super long-at least as long as the old wire) IMO, would be better.

If you can simply put electrical tape around it and it works, that's fine too.

mjbzak

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried to get a picture of it but cant get it to come out clear enough. As far as i can tell that only one single strand of the actual wire broke so I don't know how bad it is guess i can just try getting it to touch and wrap electrical tape around it and go from there. Thanks for the help so far

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You shouldn't have to torch it as it is (if there's enough wire in there). I'd wrap the damage and see if it works.

You can also manipulate it some with your fingers to see if its good enough or not..

About how many inches, MM's away from the connector is the damage?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's enough there should you have to replace the bad part of the wire, just barely.

Posi-Taps specifically Posi-Twist: Posi-Twist- Non In-Line Connections makes connectors that you simply twist your two wires together (new wire and good old end), then use the twist to connect them together.

Super easy, no soldering and you can undo it / adjust if you want...