FZ1N headlight conversion - Ebay or Partshark

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I've been researching for a few days and can't really find the information I'm looking for..

I'm planning on doing the FZ1N conversion on my FZ6. I found a kit on ebay that has the headlight assembly, but looks like it will need additional parts.

Link for that is here: Headlight Set Head Light Assembly for Yamaha FZ1N 2006 2009 2007 2008 Motorcycle | eBay

The other option I've found is on Partshark. This costs considerably more but from what I read it has pretty much everything I'll need for the conversion except maybe fabricating a bracket.

Link is here: Euro Style FZ-1 Headlight Conversion Kit With Radiator Guards from Part Shark Catalog

I'm looking for those who have experience with either. How is the quality of the ebay kit? Is the Partshark kit OEM parts from Yamaha?

I'm also thinking about retrofitting an HID projector in the headlight. Something like this maybe: Bi-xenon: Sportbike Stage I Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

If anyone has any helpful/first-hand information with the ebay or Partshark kit, please chime in. It's greatly appreciated and it will help others researching this topic in the future :)

I did see this thread here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-streetfighter/45745-naked-never-felt-so-good-lots-details.html
But was just wondering what others' recent experiences have been with the quality of the ebay or Partshark kit.

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
There was a thread recently about somebody doing the FZ6N conversion using the 6 version of that kit bought from eBay.

I looked happy with it and i think all the parts were in the kit.

Here are the threads, maybe PM him if you have some questions.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-streetfighter/50668-yet-another-fz1n-headlight-conversion.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-streetfighter/51472-fz6-streetfighter-headlight-install.html

Yeah, I've read through both threads previously. I had only skimmed the bottom thread you linked, but I guess I can gauge the quality of his FZ6N kit from ebay with the FZ1N kit. He said the quality wasn't exactly to his liking.. But as long as I'm able to pop off the headlight cover, install HID's and put everything back together and not fall apart, I'm happy. haha.

I'm also curious how the Partshark kit and ebay kit vary so much in price. Is the Partshark Yamaha OEM parts?? If the quality between the two are pretty much the same, then I'll just go with the ebay kit and use the extra money for HID's and still probably come out cheaper than the Partshark kit..

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of companies import cheap parts from china and then sell them online with a ridiculous price tag!

Not saying this is what partshark are doing, but it could.

To me if the parts were OEM they would provide a part number.

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of companies import cheap parts from china and then sell them online with a ridiculous price tag!

Not saying this is what partshark are doing, but it could.

To me if the parts were OEM they would provide a part number.

Good point! I will most likely end up buying the ebay kit later today since it will take around a month to receive.

jbwaterman84

Born to ride
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't say anything about what parts are in partshark's kit but I have been ordering motorcycle parts from them for years. Always genuine yamaha parts shipped from japan. I would assume that their fz1 kit is genuine as the price looks consistent with picking out all the individual pieces.

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't say anything about what parts are in partshark's kit but I have been ordering motorcycle parts from them for years. Always genuine yamaha parts shipped from japan. I would assume that their fz1 kit is genuine as the price looks consistent with picking out all the individual pieces.

Thanks! I also just sent them and asked if they are OEM parts. I also asked if it can be ordered without the main bulb.

Hopefully they will respond soon--I want to get this ordered soon!

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
It does take quite awhile to get the kit. I was going to look into doing this. Post what you figure out. Will probably be the next thing I do before it starts to get into full riding season.

I may have been a bit harsh on the kit. So far it has held up wonderful and I love it. You already bought it so it wont make a difference but I think you will like it. The hardest part about it is just figuring out how it all gets installed.

Spent some time searching: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/42492-fz6-n-morimoto-mini-d2s-retrofit.html

haha yeah it says the delivery date is Mar 11 - Mar 27.

Yeah I'm sure I'm going to have fun trying to install the HID and figuring out all the wiring. But I have a few bookmarks saved that should help me. And I actually have that link already saved as well haha.

I'll keep everyone updated on the project.

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
Received the HID kit from TRS the other day.

I'm a little dumbfounded as to how I'll have to rework my wiring harness from the dual setup to the single HID setup. I'm going to continue searching the site and find some threads that'll help out the wiring.

I'm mechanically inclined and can solder, but wiring/electrical is something I never got into, haha!

I do have one question, has anyone who's done the naked conversion with an angel eye/HALO, how easy would it be to wire it so just the angel eye comes on when the ignition is turned to on (engine not on), and then remain on when the engine starts. Because I'm assuming the HID will be like the stock setup...only come on when the engine is actually running.

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
There often seems to be questions regarding switching on the FZ6 headlamp system. From what I've seen on past projector kit installs, the ballasts are powered directly off the battery and the turn on signal is the low beam headlamp signal. That low beam signal is strictly used to activate the ballasts and is not used for any significant power.
Most headlamp systems that use the H4, dual filament incandescent lamp circuit controls incorporate a switching configuration that turn off the low beam filament when the high beam is turned on. For obvious reason this would not work well at all with projector type HID systems so companies provide a converter relay that makes the switching plug n play.
If you have a naked FZ6 that was designed with a single H4 headlamp the low beam will turn off when the high beam is activated.
If you have a faired version of the FZ6 the OEM set up does not turn off the low beam. In fact it doesn't use the low beam filament on the right side H4 at all. The bd43 wire or Motogiro relay kit does this so that you can convert to a naked single H4 setup or light the low beam filament on the right side headlamp with the proper switching for the H4 lamp. The advantage of using the OEM headlamp circuit as the turn on signal is that the FZ6 headlamp circuits are off until the engine is started. This gives the advantage of more starting current for the bike. After the engine has started the ECU allows the headlamp relay to operate and the headlamp circuit is then active.

If you have the faired FZ6 the original, black with green tracer, color coded wire is the low beam wire and perfect for using as your HID projector control wire because it does not turn off when the high beam is activated and only comes on after the engine has started. The high beam, black with yellow tracer, would be used for the shutter/solenoid activation.

If you have a European naked bike the low beam will be switched off during high beam operation. For this set up you might go direct to the headlamp relay (Yamaha calls it a dimmer relay) and pick the green wire for your steady headlamp signal because it will not be switched off. Hope this makes sense and will help in more efficient use of power on you HID projector setup. :)

I found this too while searching.

Thanks for the comments too guys^^

I have the wiring harness and everything with me now, the headlight assembly should be coming tomorrow, so I'm trying to get most of the wiring ready to go this weekend when I install it all on the bike :)

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Nick -
I've done this wiring a few times both on the bike and recently on my Hyundai.

Essentially you want to use a relay harness which for a naked bike presents even more a challenge on where to hide the wires.

You already have the challenge on where to put the ballast.

A common relay harness has provision for 2 headlights. Since only needing to use 1 you would simply abandon the longer side (about 3 feet long). You can properly terminate it by cutting and shrink tubing the end of it where cut.

Input to the relay harness for low beam is simply the hot and ground wires from your existing H7 (left side) headlight socket. For high beam you would use the hot wire from your H4 socket.

For halo's you are on your own, Lol. Not my thing

If any questions let me know. happy to help where I can

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
Nick -
I've done this wiring a few times both on the bike and recently on my Hyundai.

Essentially you want to use a relay harness which for a naked bike presents even more a challenge on where to hide the wires.

You already have the challenge on where to put the ballast.

A common relay harness has provision for 2 headlights. Since only needing to use 1 you would simply abandon the longer side (about 3 feet long). You can properly terminate it by cutting and shrink tubing the end of it where cut.

Input to the relay harness for low beam is simply the hot and ground wires from your existing H7 (left side) headlight socket. For high beam you would use the hot wire from your H4 socket.

For halo's you are on your own, Lol. Not my thing

If any questions let me know. happy to help where I can

Do I actually have to make a relay in order for this to work? Can't I just modify the OEM harness to make it work correctly for one headlight plug that can still switch between hi/lo beam for the bi-xenon projector? To avoid any extra wires..

And the HALO, I was already thinking of wiring it up to one of the turn signals since they turn on when the key is turned on...I haven't looked in-depth with it yet because I didn't want to wire it up and then when I go to use my, say left, turn signal my halo blinks with it lol..

Last edited:

jbwaterman84

Born to ride
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You don't need a separate relay. The harness that comes with the kit is a relay. You will have to swap the Lo and hi beam wires in your bikes plug at the headlight

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
To waterman's point yes the kit comes with a relay harness so you don't need to fabricate one

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
I swear, it's one thing after another with this project.

Got the headlight assembly from the ebay retailer, can't complain about the quality. Baked the headlight and popped it off.

Now I'm going to have to do some serious modifications to the headlight housing and reflector in there because the Morimoto D2S is way too long (Just realized the D2S 3.0 is longer and wider than the previous 2.0 version...) to fit inside the headlight.

So now I'll basically have to remove the reflector piece inside the headlight to give me enough room for the projector and the shroud.

Hoping I'll be able to use the 4 holes on the projector to mount it to the headlight securely somehow with 4 bolts...

Ugh...don't mind me, just venting...

Last edited:

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
Everything is mounted up and all is good....for now. haha. I only have some pics of it finished because it was pretty frustrating trying to mount the POS chinese mount I got from the ebay kit.. The pics aren't that good quality, hopefully will get some better ones this weekend.

I do have one question for those who have done a naked conversion. I didn't realize until after everything was mounted and all the wires tucked away. But I left out the two ~2" bolts that were screwed into the center of the front of the frame area via the bracket mount of the faired portion. Is this necessary to be bolted back on?

Borrowed this pic from xCrov's thread. It's the yellow circles.
fwgaC7d.jpg

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
When I had the VS02 kit on, these were not required. They are there to hold the OEM fairing stay to the frame. On the naked kit I believe the new fairing stay should tuck under the triple tree and be zip tied in (at least the VS02 versions...)

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
When I had the VS02 kit on, these were not required. They are there to hold the OEM fairing stay to the frame. On the naked kit I believe the new fairing stay should tuck under the triple tree and be zip tied in (at least the VS02 versions...)

Thanks man! That sounds good, just wanted to make sure.

Also, for you or anyone else, have you had any condensation/moisture issues with the naked headlight? I resealed mine and sealed up all the holes with DAP window/door indoor/outdoor caulk.

And lastly, I had to drain my tank in order to do this conversion because it wouldn't stop leaking everywhere when the tank was about at a 45* angle. When I filled the tank back up this weekend, it would not stop dripping/leaking out of the overflow line. I then redrained the tank and now have to figure out what the issue is this weekend.

I found this thread, so I'm hoping it's as simple as this: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/29249-05-fz6-constant-flow-fuel-overflow.html

I must have bumped one of the lines inside the tank when I siphoned out the gas...don't really know...