FZ6 07 Touring

DeucePutts

Reaction score
Visit site
We have turned the corner and spring will be here before we know it. I joined the forum mainly for intel on the FZ6. Thanks you all for the great info.

I have a chance to purchase an 07 at an incredible price point. So, I'm wondering about the riders that do some touring. I know that this bike is not first and foremost for that. But, I keep hearing about it's versatility. How much versatility? I mainly commute 22 miles one way and currently ride a 98 concours. So i'm used to the "touring" advantage of the concours bike. But i'm ready for something different and getting on the center stand is a world of difference with the FZ6.
Any recommendations, suggestions and info about the occasional all day in the saddle ride. I'm really leaning toward the purchase, but hesitant about its 600cc capability for touring.

Thanks,

A hopeful FZ6 owner

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The average ride I do on my (naked) FZ6 is about 4 hours. I've ridden many 8-10 hour days and arrived fresh almost each time.

There is enough comfort for all day riding until 150km/h if there is no wind, and up to 130km/h if there is wind. If the roads will be faster than that for more than 1 hour, I will take the VTR1000F. However, 22 miles is short enough that you can ride a naked FZ6 up to 180 km/h with no issues.
The US model should provide more wind protection, but it will still not match the wind protection of the concours. On the other hand, it will more than compensate by being ~30% lighter, having a stiffer chassis with nimbler geometry, and having superior brakes.

If I were to ride in the US, with it's lower speed limits and more severe speeding consequences, I would not ride ANY touring bike, as a naked bike would IMO suffice any riding scenario.

The seat is said to be too hard for some, for me it's perfect.

The 600cc engine is (IMO) perfect for touring- there's enough power to have lots of fun, but it will still do at least 300kms on a tank at "above moderate" speeds. I wouldn't trade it for a FZ1, just because it'd loose too much range.
If you will ride it the same as the concours you will not like it- it will feel like a sick horse. But if you're willing to properly use the rpm range (it redlines at ~14k rpm), this bike will feel a faster and more fun than your concours.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I’ve done thousands and thousands of long distance touring miles on my ‘05. The bike is absolutely perfect for it. Chews up the highway miles with ease, and is ready to carve up the canyons when called upon. It’s two different bikes, really, depending on the RPM’s. Docile in low range...a beast in the upper range.

I added a top case, soft saddle bags, and dry duffel to strap to the pillion. The seat, for me, is way too hard and I can’t last more than a few hours on it... but I use an Air Hawk cushion for the long rides and can go all day. As mentioned, the fuel range and tank size are more than adequate... the guys I ride with always have to stop long before me.
IMO you’ll enjoy it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you will ride it the same as the concours you will not like it- it will feel like a sick horse. But if you're willing to properly use the rpm range (it redlines at ~14k rpm), this bike will feel a faster and more fun than your concours.

I have to partially disagree with the above, ^^^. Power under 14,000 is fine (IMO).

My normal up-shift point is 4-5K. With stock gearing, it gets to speed MUCH faster than regular traffic (I try to stay ahead of the pack).

It's rare I hit 10k much less 14k (un-less a drag race, etc arises).

As noted, speeds in the states (especially in my town, max is 55MPH) is much slower. It can get to 55 MPH in 1st gear at WOT. That's with the front wheel powerlifting as well.

With open Scorps (after market pipes-loud at higher RPMs), and with the higher RPMs, it lets everyone know your winding it out (Police too)..

95% of my riding is in town. It's very rare I'm on the interstate.

For your short 22 mile commute, piece of cake and much more fun that the Concours.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind that he is coming from a concours- while that's an old bike, it's still a liter bike with ~30% more torque and much lower max torque RPM (6,5k vs 10k). While the power at low RPM is adequate compared to regular traffic, and better than a more hardcore 600 such as an R6, it will still be VERY far from what he's used to.

This is a fact most people don't understand and don't adapt to... and then they complain the bike is shit and can't overtake. Same story with people used to diesel cars switching to petrol cars...

DeucePutts

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the feedback, it is much appreciated. I'm definitely leaning toward the purchase. I've enjoyed the concours immensely. But, I feel that a lighter bike, the "more fun" aspect and being able to go some miles is what I need. 95% of my riding is interstate commuting. I'll break away some days and take the long way home or do some day trips.
I was able to test ride for just over 100 miles. Mixed interstate and county highways and enjoyed how it performed.

Thanks Bigborer for the comments. I was not used to the gearing both high and low, but it grew on me. I can adapt to anything. Throttle response along with shift points was the more noticeable difference to me from the concours other than the weight of the bikes. Also, the bike's nimbleness is a great feeling. The concours feels like a boat in water in comparison. It was weird to hop on the concours after the test ride. But, I got some great feedback from my little gray cells.

I will test ride one more time in spring. You may have read some of my posts concerning the oil light coming on.

https://www.600riders.com/threads/oil-light-on.59753/post-646777.

I performed an oil and filter change in the fall. After riding it back to the owner the light did not come on initially. So, I will confirm that in the spring.

Thanks again everyone!

deuce

DeucePutts

Reaction score
Visit site
I’ve done thousands and thousands of long distance touring miles on my ‘05. The bike is absolutely perfect for it. Chews up the highway miles with ease, and is ready to carve up the canyons when called upon. It’s two different bikes, really, depending on the RPM’s. Docile in low range...a beast in the upper range.

I added a top case, soft saddle bags, and dry duffel to strap to the pillion. The seat, for me, is way too hard and I can’t last more than a few hours on it... but I use an Air Hawk cushion for the long rides and can go all day. As mentioned, the fuel range and tank size are more than adequate... the guys I ride with always have to stop long before me.
IMO you’ll enjoy it.

Ohendo,

Thanks for the info, I'm curious about your top case and soft bag setup. What's your setup? This will probably be one of my first add-ons. I do some camping at rallies and I want some ability to carry some gear.

Thanks again!

deuce

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As noted the oil light is just an oil level switch...

If it comes back on, blinks, etc AND YOU HAVE THE PROPER AMOUNT of oil in it, the switch is bad(easy fix) or a short somewhere...

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ohendo,

Thanks for the info, I'm curious about your top case and soft bag setup. What's your setup? This will probably be one of my first add-ons. I do some camping at rallies and I want some ability to carry some gear.

Thanks again!

deuce
I went the very inexpensive route. You may choose to go with Givi or some other brand names, up to you!
For the top case, I installed the OEM Shad top rack mount to get started. Most expensive piece of the pie.
FZ6 Shad Top Rack

The top case is off-brand from Amazon ('Bestem'), currently discontinued. But something like the link below, which comes with the attachment rack that you mount to the above Shad piece. It's large enough to fit my tenting setup/gear, and can hold full face helmets as needed:
Touring Large Top Box

The soft bags were, you guessed it, Amazon off brand. They show out of stock currently, but they come and go. Also appears to be a used/returned set available at that link for really cheap.
Soft Saddle Bags

Granted, the saddle bags did not come without issues, and you may want to explore other options. They sag inward, as there's nothing to support them, and I had a seam rip open on them which I repaired and sewed shut. I made some PVC supports that slip over the passenger pegs to eliminate the sag. I can go more into those details if you like.
Nothing about my setup screams high quality, but definitely get the job done for the amount of touring/camping trips I take. (2-3 per year)
2D70AA51-18B3-4713-8075-752AAFC9B253.jpeg2D70AA51-18B3-4713-8075-752AAFC9B253.jpeg

Last edited:

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the feedback, it is much appreciated. I'm definitely leaning toward the purchase. I've enjoyed the concours immensely. But, I feel that a lighter bike, the "more fun" aspect and being able to go some miles is what I need. 95% of my riding is interstate commuting. I'll break away some days and take the long way home or do some day trips.
I was able to test ride for just over 100 miles. Mixed interstate and county highways and enjoyed how it performed.

@bigborer speaks well about going from a larger bike to the FZ6. I have no experience and can't speak to that - I went from riding as a teenager, to nothing, to now (middle-age) on the FZ6. My brother (on a HD Road King) have done some touring, nothing Iron Butt-worthy (though we did Skyline Drive + Blue Ridge Pkwy + a bit in 1 day), but definitely put some hours in. I don't think you need to be concerned about going to a 600cc engine at all. This bike will do all day long. The only issue you have is getting your ergonomics right.... seat, handlebars, etc. I have risers on my bars (1 inch up+back), a "Terry" seat, and a minimally-taller Givi windshield on my '05. I found Givi side cases on CL, and it came with a monokey case. So my bike is more setup for "touring" (in the sport/touring sense). Have no qualms recommending it thusly. Plus it's still fun in non-touring rides. So good luck, I think it'd do you well!

Attachments

• IMG_20160130_213418539.jpg
    IMG_20160130_213418539.jpg
    1,019.6 KB · Views: 22

DeucePutts

Reaction score
Visit site
Its official, I'm a 07 FZ6 owner!! I'm hoping this thread will be host an arrangement of touring questions instead of starting "new" topics.
What are your experiences with "soft" side luggage? I'm not willing to spend hundreds on the racks. Plus, I want the option of just putting them on for longer overnight trips(camping). So, any recommendations? I'm curious about the exhaust issue and bags, any burning or is there a better placement, etc.?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the club. There is no issue with burning luggage or bags with the FZ6 because the exhaust is under the seat. I keep a soft bag on the pillion seat that is remove with a few plastic quick buckles. But for true touring you’ll probably want/need a bit more then what I have. Mine is good for an overnight.

DeucePutts

Reaction score
Visit site
I went the very inexpensive route. You may choose to go with Givi or some other brand names, up to you!
For the top case, I installed the OEM Shad top rack mount to get started. Most expensive piece of the pie.
FZ6 Shad Top Rack

The top case is off-brand from Amazon ('Bestem'), currently discontinued. But something like the link below, which comes with the attachment rack that you mount to the above Shad piece. It's large enough to fit my tenting setup/gear, and can hold full face helmets as needed:
Touring Large Top Box

The soft bags were, you guessed it, Amazon off brand. They show out of stock currently, but they come and go. Also appears to be a used/returned set available at that link for really cheap.
Soft Saddle Bags

Granted, the saddle bags did not come without issues, and you may want to explore other options. They sag inward, as there's nothing to support them, and I had a seam rip open on them which I repaired and sewed shut. I made some PVC supports that slip over the passenger pegs to eliminate the sag. I can go more into those details if you like.
Nothing about my setup screams high quality, but definitely get the job done for the amount of touring/camping trips I take. (2-3 per year)
View attachment 74067View attachment 74067
I like your setup. I'm thinking the same route for luggage. My time in summer is limited, so a few days of "touring", and camping is all I need from my luggage. The prices from mainstream luggage are too much for me. Thanks for the insight about the "sag" issues. I was wondering about that.

DeucePutts

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the club. There is no issue with burning luggage or bags with the FZ6 because the exhaust is under the seat. I keep a soft bag on the pillion seat that is remove with a few plastic quick buckles. But for true touring you’ll probably want/need a bit more then what I have. Mine is good for an overnight.
Thanks for the feedback. I've noticed that the exhaust has a decent heat shield on it already. So, I should be good to go with whatever I go with.

DeucePutts

Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks Bigborer for the comments. I was not used to the gearing both high and low, but it grew on me. I can adapt to anything. Throttle response along with shift points was the more noticeable difference to me from the concours other than the weight of the bikes. Also, the bike's nimbleness is a great feeling. The concours feels like a boat in water in comparison. It was weird to hop on the concours after the test ride. But, I got some great feedback from my little gray cells.

I will test ride one more time in spring. You may have read some of my posts concerning the oil light coming on.

https://www.600riders.com/threads/oil-light-on.59753/post-646777.

I performed an oil and filter change in the fall. After riding it back to the owner the light did not come on initially. So, I will confirm that in the spring.

Thanks again everyone!

deuce
Just an update on the oil light. I did my final test ride before the purchase, and everything was good to go. It seems that the 2 year old oil change was probably the culprit. I got the rpms up and got that engine up to operating temps. No sign of the light coming on. Also, after reading the manual, the pre-test start-up checked out good as well. I'm good to go!