FZ6 fork mod recommendations

Fazer Player

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm new here,but not new to riding,I'm 46yrs old and have been riding multiple street motorcycles for over 30yrs.I recently purchased a 2006 fz6(red) with 20k miles on the clock,so the original suspension is toast My question is how to accommodate my riding style (touring,sometimes two-up) and my naked weight of 220 plus my wife's weight of 150.lbs

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

If all you want is to adapt the stock forks to the weights you want to carry, I recommend going to the Race Tech site (https://www.racetech.com/) and use their selection tools to figure out the correct spring rates. You can even call to work out the selection with one of their engineers. Bear in mind that with a passenger, the stock rear coil-over with 20k miles on it will be a weak point.

If you want to upgrade the front forks for performance reason, there are 2 good choices. I went the easy route and swapped in a set of 2003 R6 forks, a very popular mod. The other popular method is to install a set of Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators (GVE) in the stock forks. Installation requires modifications to the stock forks and is more difficult to do, but those here who have done it speak very highly os the mod.

Of course, with either you will still need to make sure the spring rates are appropriate for your use.

Hope that helps

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ohlins shock. Comfort doesn’t come cheap. It will set you back $600+. Get the bike sprung for how you typically ride. If that includes your wife, then let Ohlins know that. But if you ride solo 70% of the time….then tell them 220.