Fz6: how to tell between S1 and S2

Mush1392

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I just recently brought a 2007 Yamaha fz6 from a coworker and it needed a few parts. I started to search about doing research on parts prices and etc, but there was one thing that stumped me and it was the difference between a S1 and S2. I couldn't really find out what it meant or which one I have. Any information would be helpful.

sdriv3r

Reaction score
Visit site
2007 and up are called S2. 2004 - 2006 are S1.

The 2 big giveaways are the gauge and the front fairing. The S1 has a round gauge, RPM on the outside and speed on the inside of the circle. The S2 has an analog tach on the right and digital speedo on the left.

Fairing-wise, the S1 has "longer" front cowl. It goes down lower and the turn signals are bolted into it. The S2 are shorter and the turn signals are attached under the cowling. Also looking from the front, The windshield is different. The S1 will have some black behind the windshield while the S2 will be 1 color.

There are other differences between the S1 and S2. Those are the big visual differences. You are better off sticking with S2 parts unless you know they are compatible and the difference between the 2 parts.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The other, not as immediately apparent, large differences are:

-Front Forks and Brakes: The front brakes were upgraded to 4-piston on the S2 Model. Subsequently, the forks were modified to accept the new brake mounting, updated fender, and some slight changes in the spring/compression characteristics.

-Rear Swingarm: While the shocks are identical, the rear Swingarm was updated on the S2 model from the 'boxed' style on the 04'-06' model. The S2 model included a revised, more traditional, chain adjustment and a different axle.

-Rear Passenger Pegs: The S2 model has bolt-on style passenger peg hangers (the S1 were welded to the subframe). While this is different, the rest of the subframe is nearly identical so things like seat, rear cowl, side pods, exhaust muffler, etc... are interchangeable between the S1 and S2 Model.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Adding to the list. The ECU and emissions aspect. The S2 has an adaptive ECU that uses an O2 sensor in the headers collector to help maintain its AFR when cruising. In addition header has mini CATs in it and the mid pipe cat is larger and flows much better than the S1 but these do not interchange due to changes in length.

All that said, although the headers and mid-pipes are different lengths, the muffler section is the same but the mid-pipe (if changed) is S1/S2 specific should you install aftermarket cans....

Also, S2's are Black engine, black frame. S1, mostly silver!

For the record the engine and many of its core components are from the early R6. But its been detuned so it wont compete with the flagship R6 of that era.