FZ6 S2 Engine Noise

Fazermike

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got my FZ6 S2 back on the road after fitting a replacement engine and it's been running great for over a week until I took it down the motorway on my way back from work when it started making a noise! I slowed down to come off the exit slip road and it seemed to dissapear until I accelerated up to 50 mph and it came back!
At slower speeds the noise goes away but as soon as I go above 40 mph it comes back.
I left it over night and went to work in the morning and it was fine but as soon as the engine warmed up again and the revs increased the noise came back.
I took it to my garage to have a closer look at it and it is quiet at low revs but as soon as it is revved up it rattles from the top end I thought it might be the cam chain so checked out the tentioner and it appears to be working fine.
It sounds a bit like a camshaft problem but not really sure.
I did check the oil level and it was very high above maximum but I don't think that is the problem.
further investigation is needed! :confused:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles on the engine? You may be beyond the auto cam chain tensioner range. Cam chain guide wear as well as chain wear may ad to the out of range chain tension.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you do any maintenance/analysis on the replacement engine, or did you just bolt it right in?

It could be TC slap, but given your description it could also be rod knock. Also, in the beginning of your post you note that the noise is speed related, yet in the garage you note that it is RPM related. Have you been able to isolate the exact circumstances which the noise appears?

We (or at least I) need more information.

Fazermike

Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles on the engine? You may be beyond the auto cam chain tensioner range. Cam chain guide wear as well as chain wear may ad to the out of range chain tension.
It's only got 22,000 miles on it so I would be surprised if the cam chain or tensioner is worn and I would be able to hear it rattling at all engine speeds.
I will be taking the cam cover off at the weekend to investigate further :(

Fazermike

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you do any maintenance/analysis on the replacement engine, or did you just bolt it right in?

It could be TC slap, but given your description it could also be rod knock. Also, in the beginning of your post you note that the noise is speed related, yet in the garage you note that it is RPM related. Have you been able to isolate the exact circumstances which the noise appears?

We (or at least I) need more information.
It only seemed to happen at 40mph plus speeds and more noticeable when the engine is hot.
It also happens when the engine is reved at a stand still in neutral not sure at what RPM it starts though it sounds like it's coming from the top end cam shaft area but not on the camchain side.

Fazermike

Reaction score
Visit site
Checked out the cam chain again and I appears to be working ok.
I also tried the cam chain from my old engine and there was no change with the noise so I'm pretty much happy with that side of things.
On closer inspect as to where the noise is coming from it seems to be more in or around the cluch area
I took the bike up the road and the gears engage just fine and the clutch seems to be working ok so i might take the cover off and take a look!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I remember the problem when clutch material got dislodged and worked its way into the gear train that drives the clutch basket. I wonder if there is some debris, clutch or otherwise, that has packed its way between gear teeth?

I don't think this is the case, but I am just noodling on things that are under the clutch cover.

My money is on the oil pump chain .

Fazermike

Reaction score
Visit site
Update on the engine noise....
Took the clutch apart and found a broken friction plate! I changed it with the clutch from my old engine (checked it first) while I was in there looked at the oil pump chain and it looked ok to me.
Started thre bike and no change!
The noise only seems to start when I rev the engine to 3000 rpm and above and appears to be coming from the top end of the engine so I have now taken off the cam cover to check the cams and if they look ok check the valve clearences if I can't find anything wrong I will be totally stumped! :(

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That noise sounds a lot like rod knock from a worn bearing. I would send out the oil for analysis and see if there is copper present. If you want faster answer, split the case.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another way that may help determine if it's a rod bearing..

Pull the spark plugs and one of the side covers that cover the crankshaft.

Put a screw driver down (one at a time) the hole till you touch the piston.
Gently rock the crank back and forth slowly and see if one piston doesn't move SLIGHTLY like the others..

Or, pull a spark plug WIRE, one at a time with the bike running and see if the knocking gets lower/goes away... With no combustion going on, it WON'T knock nearly as hard....

Fazermike

Reaction score
Visit site
That noise sounds a lot like rod knock from a worn bearing. I would send out the oil for analysis and see if there is copper present. If you want faster answer, split the case.

I have checked the oil for any metallic particles and it looks clean so I would be surprised if a bearing is breaking up on the crank shaft as it would be evident in the oil and on the magnetic drain plug.