Headlight

JONJONsocal

UNKNOWN HOON
Reaction score
Visit site
I think one of the mirrors if I remember has a left hand thread. I did a naked conversion for a friend on his FZ6 and I drilled with the minor diameter drill size and used a left hand tap. You must be careful to drill straight and it would be better to have someone with tapping experience tap the hole. Preferably a 2 flute tap as apposed to a 4 flute. Cut a little thread and then back out to break the chip. Then cut a little more and back out to break the chip. Sometimes backing the tap all the way out and blow the loose chips out. I like using a light lubricant when tapping aluminum because it can tends to be gummy when tapping.

Or just come down to SD! :p

All i need is the mirrors.... I told that to my wife and she laughed. She says that im never going to be done.. xCROv i had the hardest time dealing with the wires. I try doing what you did but the forks touch the cables and did let me turn all the way..im probably never going to turn all the way but i just didnt fell comfortable. So i ended up taking the whole thing apart.. See attached. Lol

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Koozi

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see how anyone could get all those wires through that hole in the frame and tucked in front of the battery without pulling the airbox and battery.

It's worth it in the end to do it right.

I had to ziptie part of the second headlight wiring up out of the way to keep it from pinching between the fork and the stop on full left turn. Took a minute to figure out what was in the way.

Blue bike looks great!

51670d1389161586-fz6-streetfighter-headlight-install-uploadfromtaptalk1389161722368.jpg

Is that light reflecting on the tank?

JONJONsocal

UNKNOWN HOON
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see how anyone could get all those wires through that hole in the frame and tucked in front of the battery without pulling the airbox and battery.

It's worth it in the end to do it right.

I had to ziptie part of the second headlight wiring up out of the way to keep it from pinching between the fork and the stop on full left turn. Took a minute to figure out what was in the way.

Blue bike looks great!

51670d1389161586-fz6-streetfighter-headlight-install-uploadfromtaptalk1389161722368.jpg

Is that light reflecting on the tank?

Yep. No way to get in there without having to remove the battery and the airbox even though it was pretty easy it took way longer than expected. I think it was worth it, it looks a lot better. Then I removed every wire that I didn't need and I also had the headlight relay.. Everything went smooth. I don't know if it'll be worth it but I'm going to be looking into buying a harness from one of those European bikes.. I have to admit that it was fun.

Yeah is the fz sticker..

JONJONsocal

UNKNOWN HOON
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine came with one to attatch to the bars but I am not sure as to what to do with the other lmao. I think I may just invest in some good bar end mirrors, now to find a pair I like!
Take a look at your front brake reservoir. It has a flat circular space between it and the right hand switches.. You need to drill and tap it. The right mirror screws into it. I didn't want to drill but the adapters that i got dont work that good. Bar end mirrors will work a lot better.

Jon

petergreko

limits are for suckers
Reaction score
Visit site
I just almost finished the naked conversion, and I used the kit's turn signals.

They light up just fine, but I'm getting the quick flash, like it does when a bulb is burned out.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

jsanchez_73

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, I really hope someone can help. A while back I installed Vishnu Sharman's VS01 conversion kit. [MENTION=11238]dev_usc[/MENTION] [email protected] It is basically a headlight unit for India's Yamaha FZ16 motorcycle (attached image) Everything went well except I did not notice until now that when I did the conversion my tail light stopped working properly and is now on full time, as if I had the brake on which caused the bulb to burn out. I have a feeling this is because I did not know how to connect the secondary (smaller) 5W headlight bulb and therefore left it unplugged not completing some kind of electrical circuit. What I need to do is find out which wires to connect from my 2005 FZ6 wire loom to this secondary smaller 5W bulb so it completes the electrical circuit and my tail light works properly again. Thank you so much in advanced to whomever can help me out with this.

2005_YAMAHA_FZ6ST-HEADLIGHT.jpg
FZ16_HEADLIGHT.jpg
1_20180806_083114[1].jpg
3_20180806_083219[1].jpg
4_20180804_195732[1].jpg
0_DSC03250[1].jpg
1_20150720_180511[1].jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some info on the headlamp wiring. The US. faired version of the FZ6 needs to have the headlamp switching modified to work with a single dual filament H4 headlamp or the bulb will overheat when the high beam is active causing premature lamp failure. You might contact member (bd43) for his modification kit to have the lamp switch properly. If you get no response you can contact me for help on this.

Next there is a low beam wire (black with a green tracer) and a high beam wire (black with a yellow tracer). Then there is a black wire which is the ground wire. These three wires are for the headlamps and should in no way be lighting your rear tail light unless you've some attached the to the circuit the lights your brake light filament. The tail light running light filament should be lit with the key in the on position. The headlight circuit should not be active until the bike engine has been started. That smaller light at the bottom of your headlamp unit is a running light that is attached to one of 2 wires that run with your from directional harness. The color from that harness will be a blue wire or a blue with red tracer wire. These blue wires are lighter gauge than the headlight wires.

There are 2 filaments in your tail light. Replace the lamp with the OEM from Yamaha The lamp is different from the standard 1157 automotive lamp even though the 1157 will work as a temp replacement for a small amount of time. The OEM Tail light bulb is mechanically stronger and the filaments are brighter.
There are 3 wires on the tail lamp socket. One is blue or blue w/red tracer for the running light filament. One is yellow for the brake light filament and one wire is black which is ground. The yellow wire should not have any power to it unless one of the brake actuators have been pressed.

Hope this helps and I know it can get overwhelming for first timers but be patient with yourself, take your time and ask questions.
Good Luck!

Last edited:

Xellu

Reaction score
Visit site
Heyo does anyone know if the VS01 or VS02 kit still available for purchase?

Currently have my FZ with a broken front fairing looking to convert it.

Thanks

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I put a NAO led in it. It's an okay beam, but I bet with a higher quality bulb you'd get a better cut off. I just have mine aimed a little lower than prior to not blind people.