fz6 wont start unless the clutch is engaged but dies when released

davie86

Reaction score
Visit site
so the background for my issue is as follows i am a nube, i bridged 2 wires now my fz6 wont start unless the clutch is engaged, however when i release the clutch it dies.
i have tried bypassing the clutch switch and the kickstand switch, checked all the fuses and the wiring all look good.
when i start the bike with the clutch engaged it starts but there is no running lights when i pull the brake it lights up the rear light and when the high beam is turned on it will also work.

please help as i going out of my mind with this issue

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you put your bike in neutral does the neutral light come on in the instrument panel? You may have a wire off the neutral safety switch or it's gone bad. Re attach any wires you have removed and see if the bike will start and roll.

Has any work been done on the ignition switch harness?

davie86

Reaction score
Visit site
When you put your bike in neutral does the neutral light come on in the instrument panel? You may have a wire off the neutral safety switch or it's gone bad. Re attach any wires you have removed and see if the bike will start and roll.

Has any work been done on the ignition switch harness?

yeah the neutral light is on and goes off when a gear is selected, no work has been done on the ignition. i was playing around with the head lamp as the low beam/running light is not working same at the rear , but the brake light comes on when either brake is applied.

i still have no running lights and the bike will only run with the clutch engaged someone told me the ECU has had it but i'm am not sure this is the issue

where is the neutral indication switch? i can check this when i get home from work today

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Being new to the bike, you do know only ONE headlight is ON for low beam, and the other ONLY works for high-beam (STOCK)-engine running?

Also, the neutral switch is at the REAR of the engine. Peek forward of the mid pipe, you'll see one wire going to a switch. That's it.

With that said, if the green, neutral light on the dash illuminates, it sounds like its grounding as it should (in neutral)..

Last edited:

davie86

Reaction score
Visit site
Being new to the bike, you do know only ONE headlight is ON for low beam, and the other ONLY works for high-beam (STOCK)-engine running?

Also, the neutral switch is at the REAR of the engine. Peek forward of the mid pipe, you'll see one wire going to a switch. That's it.

With that said, if the green, neutral light on the dash illuminates, it sounds like its grounding as it should (in neutral)..

cool im going to get a new starter cutoff relay today as i was told this may be the cause of the issue and for 20 quid i'll give this a shot, after that it may need to go to an automotive electrician.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
cool im going to get a new starter cutoff relay today as i was told this may be the cause of the issue and for 20 quid i'll give this a shot, after that it may need to go to an automotive electrician.
Have you tried the bike with the side stand switch wires unattached? I don't know if that switch is a normally open or normally closed condition. You may have tied those wires together and the starter cutoff relay thinks the side stand is in the down position. The problem may have been the switch itself and when you tied the wires together you created the same condition. Check side stand switch for open and closed continuity.

Sent from Moto's Motorola

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Diagnostic codes will tell you what the ecu thinks.
#20 is UP = ON, down is off
#21 is Neutral = ON, in gear is off.
Key off, hold both gauge buttons down, turn key on and continue holding buttons for 10+ seconds to enter diagnostics.

Your safety relay is suspect if Side Stand shows to be up but engine shuts off when put in gear.

Is the lighting resolved?
Have you checked the fuses in the right side pod?