FZ6 won't start

omalkhoo

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone, I have a 2005 FZ6 that will not start. I have just replaced the spark plugs and the battery is good as I just put a new one in. It cranks over but just won't fire. I have sprayed starting fluid in the intake but still no start. Any assistance I can get from you will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It should not crank if the kill switch is not engaged.
Are there any error codes?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you replaced the spark plugs, did you confirm that you had spark by grounding the electrode(s)?

Has this bike recently been tipped over?

Normally I would suggest cleaning the fuel pump screen, but the lack of intentions to start from the starting fluid leads me away from that suggestion.

If you have spark, and starting fluid doesn't result in a "pop", then I suggest a compression test.

omalkhoo

Reaction score
Visit site
The run stop switch is working properly. The engine is cranking over but won't start. When the run stop switch is off it will not crank over at all. I think that it is a spark issue as I have sprayed starting fluid into the intake and this does not make a difference. The bike was tipped over several months ago and it has started and run about 5000 miles since then. I cannot tell you if there are any error codes as the instrument panel is not working. This happened about 2 years ago. The battery is good and I have even put a jumper battery to boost this. Still no luck. The bike as about 100,000 miles on it if that will help you.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The run stop switch is working properly. The engine is cranking over but won't start. When the run stop switch is off it will not crank over at all. I think that it is a spark issue as I have sprayed starting fluid into the intake and this does not make a difference. The bike was tipped over several months ago and it has started and run about 5000 miles since then. I cannot tell you if there are any error codes as the instrument panel is not working. This happened about 2 years ago. The battery is good and I have even put a jumper battery to boost this. Still no luck. The bike as about 100,000 miles on it if that will help you.
Since the bike uses an ECU/ECM it's important to know if an error code is present. Example: If there is a failure of the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) the computer would push out a #12 error and the ECU would not allow a spark. You could guess that that might be the issue but that's exactly what you would be doing....Guessing. I would also follow Gary's advise and check for spark. If you have spark, check compression being we have no way of getting info without the readout.
If compression looks okay. You'll want to look at the CPS. There is a chain that IIRC passess by that sensor that can qrind the sensor away as that chain ages and wears. These motors, if taken care of can easily do better than 100k. It could be the ECU has given up but we have no idea until methodical testing has been done to eliminate other failures.

RayO

Reaction score
Visit site
It's all a bit hit and miss without the instrument panel and fault log working. I'd make a big effort to get the instrument panel going again.

omalkhoo

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree. Please let me know what to do. So far I have replaced the instrument panel and it is still a blank. I have also replaced the ecu without any results. Both of these were used of a crashed bike. Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.

RayO

Reaction score
Visit site
When you look at the Error Code listing there are a dozen error codes that do not allow the engine to run. It's essential to get the instrument panel going again to see what the error codes are. I'm finding a schematic or wiring diagram not easy to get. For myself, I've ordered a Haynes manual. I hope that explains a few things.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The fact that you've replaced the ECU and the Instrument cluster and have the same results would indicate a possible loss of current path either on the positive or negative path to the ECU and the cluster. There is a black with white tracer wire that both the ECU and instrument cluster share as a ground path. Typically many harnesses will use the engine or frame as a ground path. There should also be a wire from the negative battery lead that is anchored to the engine and/or frame.
Question: When you turn the key to the on position, do you hear the fuel pump prime?

Last edited: