Fz6n 2004 won't start

potepp

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've changed the oil + oil filter on my 2004 FZ6. Nothing else. She got 2.8 liters, as per the manual.
Warmed up the bike, and did the job. Once done, the bike wouldn't start.

Ignition on -> dashboard comes to life -> fuel pump cycles -> lights on ->
Start button -> bike starts cranking and keeps cranking until I release the button. Sometimes (very rarely) it misfires, without starting.
Before, it did catch right away (once the battery was charged :) ).

I have checked:
-> fuel -> have enough and fresh (three bars)
-> battery (charged)
-> tried to jump start from car battery -> same
-> tried to push start -> no luck (don't really have a hill and a helper to help pushing so I did my best to try)
-> fuses - all okay
-> reconnected the fuel pump -> no change
-> diagnostics -> no messages displayed
-> kill switch -> not an issue (is in "on" position)
-> side stand up/down doesn't make any difference
-> bike is in neutral

I think it isn't:
-> battery (tried to jump start)
-> starter (cranks)
Is it possible that I suddenly don't have sparkle (flooded engine -> if so, why?)?
What else is there to check before I start disassembling...?

Can someone please advice/help me here on what to check next and how to bring the bike back to life?

Thanks a trillion!

Peter

ps. I have seen the other similar threads, but I can't find one that'd be matching my symptoms...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Has the bike been sitting for any length of time or new to you?

If not, charge the battery, 2 amp MAX, then try again.

If no start, hold the THROTTLE WIDE OPEN and hit the starter. Try this several times, no more than 5-6 seconds at a time.

Occasionally, the engine will flood, this is the way to start it..

Please post back.

** I gather you did NOT remove the front sprocket cover or dink with the two wires running down behind the stator cover?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do not jump start form a car with the engine running. The car alternator can over heat and damage the regulator/rectifier. Just jumping from the car battery is okay.

Check to see if you have spark. If you have spark check the plugs to see if they're wet and check for condition and proper gap.

I believe the tilt sensor will interrupt fuel pump and injectors.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
1. Don't rely on the measured amount of oil you put in. Put the bike on the center stand and check the dip stick. You want the oil to be at or close to max. Much less you can get a low oil light. Not sure if the bike would electronically refuse to start with less.

2. Monitor the voltage at the battery terminals with a multi-meter to see if anything can be learned as you attempt to start the bike.

potepp

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,
So she was flooded, I did the full throttle and that did the trick (Scott #2), bike fired after few seconds, prodiced a lot of smoke...
I actually found another thread here where this was suggested. Good to know - thanks!

Motogiro, the car wasn't running, I just used it's battery. 12V is 12V and based on my research it should be fine (not ideal, but does the job).

Darius, oil is just below the max, so definitdly isn't over or underfiled.

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate your input!

Peter

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Motogiro, the car wasn't running, I just used it's battery. 12V is 12V and based on my research it should be fine (not ideal, but does the job).

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate your input!

Peter

Yes 12 vdc nominal is the same for the car and the bike but the bike has a shunt regulator and can not handle the amount of current (amperage) that a car alternator produces. This can overheat and burn out the shunt regulator in the bike's regulator/rectifier. If the alternator is not active (engine off) you're okay. So yes both are 12 vdc but the car alternator can damage the shunt on the bike.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Peter

Voltage is only part of the equation. If there's an electrical fault, the bike can pull more current from a running car than its wiring can handle and worst case goes up in flames. Well worth a caution!

Anyways, glad you're up and running!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
1. Don't rely on the measured amount of oil you put in. Put the bike on the center stand and check the dip stick. You want the oil to be at or close to max. Much less you can get a low oil light. Not sure if the bike would electronically refuse to start with less.

Just an FYI. The oil "switch" is in the pan and strictly activates the dash light when the oil level is low. It will NOT turn off / disable the engine.