FZ6N cuts out randomly!? (With video and error codes)

Bbbumle

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everybody,
I'm new to the forum and this is my first thread.
Info about my MC if it should be relevant:
Yamaha FZ6N from 2006. Lazer exhaust and Power Commander installed.

I hope you can help me with this problem, because at this point I'm not sure what to do, so I will try to keep it short and to the point.
I've for several months now had this problem where my MC dies/cuts out at random times. Sometimes it happens many times on a single ride, and sometimes it doesn't happen at all.
When it dies I can sometimes start it back up immediately after, and sometimes I have to wait for up to 30 minutes.
Luckily I managed to capture an episode where it kept dying on video:
https://youtu.be/HlGaceixloc

When I check the on-board diagnostics I get error code 30 and 41, (d61: 30 + d61: 41, d62: 2)
After looking into the error codes I tried replacing the tilt switch sensor, and that seemed to work for about a month where I didn't experience any cut outs. But now it's back to dying several times even before leaving the parking lot.

I really appreciate all the help you can give me to get rid of this problem.
Please let me know if other information would be helpful.
Best regards
David

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like you have an intermittent kill switch. Many people disassemble the assembly, clean the contacts and and it cures the problem.

Oh yeah! :welcome: to our great forum!

Last edited:

Bbbumle

Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like you have an intermittent kill switch. Many people disassemble the assembly, clean the contacts and and it cures the problem.

Oh yeah! :welcome: to our great forum!

Hi Motogiro.
What kill switch are you referring to? And disassemble what assembly?
I've already tried to clean the contacts to the battery, and the other contacts that was fairly easily accessible, but it didn't help unfortunately.

And thank you :)

Bbbumle

Reaction score
Visit site
It might be worth the effort to clean the side stand contact/kill switch.

Hi Gary,
Okay. Yea other people have told me about the side stand kill switch. but the kill switch should only be able to engage when the MC is not in neutral, and it cuts out even when in neutral. But yea it's worth a try. I have to look up in my Haynes manual where I can find it.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Gary,
Okay. Yea other people have told me about the side stand kill switch. but the kill switch should only be able to engage when the MC is not in neutral, and it cuts out even when in neutral. But yea it's worth a try. I have to look up in my Haynes manual where I can find it.
Take the right hand switch assembly apart - there are 3 Phillips head screws you need to remove from underneath. Inside of the upper part of the assembly you will find one more Phillips screw and then you can take the red kill switch button out, it's a bit tight so be patient so you don't jank on the wires or snap the plastic.
Once the switch is out you will be able to easily take it apart to access the copper contacts and clean them.

If you try just spraying contact spray inside without actually disassembling the red kill switch odds are you won't clean the contacts properly - I know this because I tried and untill I took the whole thing apart I was just wasting contact spray.

The sidestand switch is a breeze to take apart so get to it too just to make sure it's not the one causing the problem.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's not the side stand switch because this problem occurs in neutral. The kill switch is the red switch, also called the "emergency shutoff switch" that you where toggling on and off. High probability that is the problem. :)

Last edited:

Bbbumle

Reaction score
Visit site
Take the right hand switch assembly apart - there are 3 Phillips head screws you need to remove from underneath. Inside of the upper part of the assembly you will find one more Phillips screw and then you can take the red kill switch button out, it's a bit tight so be patient so you don't jank on the wires or snap the plastic.
Once the switch is out you will be able to easily take it apart to access the copper contacts and clean them.

If you try just spraying contact spray inside without actually disassembling the red kill switch odds are you won't clean the contacts properly - I know this because I tried and untill I took the whole thing apart I was just wasting contact spray.

The sidestand switch is a breeze to take apart so get to it too just to make sure it's not the one causing the problem.

Motogiro said:
It's not the side stand switch because this problem occurs in neutral. The kill switch is the red switch, also called the "emergency shutoff switch" that you where toggling on and off. High probability that is the problem.

Ahh okay! I had never thought it could be the red switch itself..
Thank you for the explanation I will definitely give that a go.
If cleaning the kill switch doesn't fix it I will try cleaning the side stand switch as well.
Thank you guys for your help! :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The side stand switch along with the clutch safety switch and the neutral switch all run through a logic circuit called the starter cutoff safety relay assembly. It is a module with 2 relays a Zener diode and a diode matrix that forms logic switching for safety protocol. This module interfaces with the ECU (computer). Since the bike starts normally with the bike in neutral we can safely say the side stand safety switch is not involved because the bike is in neutral when it dies. The side stand safety switch would not be suspect unless this were happening while the bike was in gear and not in neutral.

I'm not saying the "kill switch" is definitely the problem but is a common cause of intermittent stalling as well as intermittent starting with the FZ6 and is the first thing I would suspect given the video evidence and post description of the problem.

Bbbumle

Reaction score
Visit site
The side stand switch along with the clutch safety switch and the neutral switch all run through a logic circuit called the starter cutoff safety relay assembly. It is a module with 2 relays a Zener diode and a diode matrix that forms logic switching for safety protocol. This module interfaces with the ECU (computer). Since the bike starts normally with the bike in neutral we can safely say the side stand safety switch is not involved because the bike is in neutral when it dies. The side stand safety switch would not be suspect unless this were happening while the bike was in gear and not in neutral.

I'm not saying the "kill switch" is definitely the problem but is a common cause of intermittent stalling as well as intermittent starting with the FZ6 and is the first thing I would suspect given the video evidence and post description of the problem.

Okay, yea that was my thoughts about the side stand switch as well as it happens in neutral.

I've now taken the kill switch assembly completely apart and scratched and cleaned the contacts surfaces with contact spray. Afterwards I took a small 5 minute ride and it didn't cut out, so it seems very promising! :D
Thank you guys very much for your help. I hope this has done the trick :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, yea that was my thoughts about the side stand switch as well as it happens in neutral.

I've now taken the kill switch assembly completely apart and scratched and cleaned the contacts surfaces with contact spray. Afterwards I took a small 5 minute ride and it didn't cut out, so it seems very promising! :D
Thank you guys very much for your help. I hope this has done the trick :)

Let us know if it goes well on your next riding. :)