FZ6R vs FZ6 Dyno Comparison

Ploppity Drown

Reaction score
Visit site
I had seen it claimed (on a non-FZ forum) that the FZ6R's added low- and mid-range power made up for it's lack of top-end. That the "area under the curve" was equal or better on the FZ6R vs the FZ6. Seemed plausible. But nowhere could I find a dyno chart comparing the two bikes directly. Maybe it's buried in the archives somewhere here.

In any case, I decided to put together my own comparison. I analyzed dyno charts of the 09 FZ6R (.pdf) and the 04 FZ6 (.pdf) published by Motorcycle Consumer News.

Now I understand the number of variables that affect a dyno chart's accuracy.. so I won't claim these dynos are comparable with absolute precision. But since the peak outputs of ~65hp and ~85hp are pretty well agreed upon, I think this comparison is meaningful. And here it is:

FZ6RvsFZ6.jpg

The FZ6R definitely holds a slight advantage at low RPMs---perhaps as much as 5hp around 2000 RPM but tapering off by 4000 RPM. And where the FZ6 dips between 5500 and 7200 RPM the FZ6R stays linear. But without a doubt, the FZ6 has more area under the curve---unless you never rev it above 10K RPM... but why wouldn't you? An extra 5hp on the low end and in the middle is nice, sure. But in my mind the retune is defnitely a detune.

I realize this topic has been beaten to death. But I wanted to at least post this chart here to clear up some of the confusion and misinformation out there. I'm posting this over on FZ6R-Forum, too.

Any thoughts?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome, I think; odd first post...

Smaller intake, exhaust, less cam, that's the main difference.

Man they are going to have a cow over there, I'll keep my eyes open for that one. :popcorn:

Ploppity Drown

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I realize this is an odd way to introduce myself to the forum.. but hopefully it's helpful information for others who are also shopping the FZ6/R.

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My thought is worry less about what other people may think about said bikes power, and go ride said bikes. Both are dope in their own right...welcome

Ploppity Drown

Reaction score
Visit site
Can't disagree with you there.

I'd much rather be riding either of these bikes than sitting here staring at their dyno charts.

Of course, sometimes you are stuck at work and can't ride.. but you can work on a fun spreadsheet that makes it look like you're working...

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
See if you can find a 2007+ chart for comparison (with the FI updates) :thumbup:

My thoughts exactly. The newer FZ6 engines have a more linear power curve like the FZ6R but with the better top end. The FZ6 has a better power plant and you can stay in each gear a good bit longer.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
What about the torque?

I'm curious what a comparison of the torque charts would look like. From what I understand, the torque characteristics of the engine determine a lot of the "power feeling" that a motorcycle has.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the FZ6R was tuned to have more torque down low as compared to the FZ6, even though it's lower on horsepower.

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: What about the torque?

I'm curious what a comparison of the torque charts would look like. From what I understand, the torque characteristics of the engine determine a lot of the "power feeling" that a motorcycle has.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the FZ6R was tuned to have more torque down low as compared to the FZ6, even though it's lower on horsepower.

Torque is what makes your arms feels as if their being pulled out of sockets

Horse power is what makes your scalp feel as if it's being torn from your skull
;)

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: What about the torque?

Exactly, hp curves don't mean a whole lot on the street, what is more usable on the street is the torque available at lower rpm's.

BTW, MCN retested a 2007 FZ6 (May 2007 issue of MCN) and laying the 2004 and 2007 tests side by side the hp and torque curves look almost identical (85.6 vs 85.8 hp (2007 vs 2004), and 42.0 vs 41.5 lb-ft (2007 vs 2004). The 2007 model weiged 4 lbs more due to mechanical differences between the two years, and the road performance between the two was pretty close when the added weight is considered (assuming rider weight was the same).

Last edited:

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
I scanned the 2007 test page and if you are still bored at work you can fiddle around with these numbers.

koolcat

Reaction score
Visit site
Plus Ive heard that the fz6 frame is lighter... aluminum verse steel on the fz6r
for what thats worth .. I have a 2007 fz6.. I do like the body work on the
fz6r though.. maybe tahts the differnce in weight.. Id really like to get more pull out of mine in the low end.. I dont want to have to rev it to 10000 rpm..everytime.. starting to think I need an fz1..but I think there is prob a way to get more out of this engine..anybody ideas? :rockon:

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
you should look into changing your front sprocket. i haven't done it, but i've read enough people on here who have and they like it. some have gone up a tooth for better "touring" and others (most) have gone down a tooth to hit the sweet spot sooner.