Garden Route in July/August

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys

I am thinking of driving the Garden route for 2 weeks in July and August. I have just started looking into this and would appreciate any info you can offer.

We will land at Capetown and want to spend most of the outward journey along the coast, doing very small hops each day. 100-200km.

On the way back to Capetown we could look more inland.

An suggestions of routes, small towns to stop in, places and things to visit would all be helpful.

What type of weather should we expect along that stretch of coast in July and August?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The weather in Cape Town in winter can be absolutely miserable, rain for days and cold howling wind. I'm not sure how far up the coast you plan on going but I would guess that as far as Port Elizabeth the weather could be the same. Having said that it can also be hot and sunny, so it is difficult to predict.

There is plenty to do around Cape Town itself, so plan on spending a good few days there. If you are going to make short hops then Hermanus, Mossel Bay, Knysna and Plettenberg Bay are musts. I don't really know the inland areas that well but Oudtshoorn is interesting and you can ride an ostrich there.

linux geek

Reaction score
Visit site
I did this trip last oct was the best holiday Ive ever had

I had cheap return flights to cape town so got in internal flight to PE
and drove back

have a look at kulula they are like the easy jet of SA

Id add to the list Swellendam its a old Dutch style town

Enjoy your trip id do it again any time

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
July / august is usually the wet season around the cape, it's ALWAYS windy along that coast :)

Just about anywhere from there is a good destination, i'd have to include Paarl, Montegu, and most certainly Ceres. There's an old world farm outside worcester too, a whole day's entertainment.

Don't miss the west coast either, along the atlantic, picture perfect and still a backwater of the civilised world.

Keep us up to date!!