Gauge cluster intermittently works. Doesn't work most of the time. Clock/time shows.

dn00

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all. I recently bought a 2005 fz6 at a good price. Everything seems to work fine except for the cluster not turning on. No odometer, no rpm, and only the clock/time show when the bike is running. My friend rode the bike home and he said it turned on several times during the ride. The original owner pointed out that the problem lies within the ignition switch. Likely an electrical contact issue and resoldering or replacing the ignition switch will solve the problem. I don't actually have the bike with me right now to troubleshoot the issue but would really appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction. There's a lot of history to go through! I plan to spray the ignition switch with electrical contact cleaner when I have bike in hand.

Thanks for any help!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check that you have a neutral safety light on the dash when you turn the key to the on position. If you don't have the N safety light, Make sure the bike is in neutral and start the bike and be sure the headlight works. You must start the engine before the headlight will come on. If you can start the bike and the headlight works the ignition switch is working.
There is a fuse that supplies the dash and the neutral safety light. The wire color code should be a white with red tracer wire that provides switched power to the readout and the N safety light. There is another wire that supplies the clock that is a different wire. and has 12 vdc nom. all the time.

Hope this helps with your trouble shooting.