Gear in London

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I was over in the London, Sunbury, Richmond area a few times this summer. I noticed that nearly all the riders had full riding suits. Maybe only 5% had riding jackets and jeans but the other 95% had either one-piece or two piece mostly textile suites. The also seemed to be weaving in and out of traffic, lane splitting and driving in a rather aggressive manor. (I concluded that only the skillful riders are still alive!)

Are riding suits cheaper over there or are Brits just more serious about saving their skin? What is the most popular brand of riding suit?

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't speak for others, only for myself. I have a textile jacket and pants made by tour master. I don't have them because I ride aggressively, but only because of the old addage. "There are two types of riders, those that have been down, and those that are going down."

Actually I believe in a third type, "those that have been down, but might go down again." That's me.

I've been down, but wish I had been wearing even more gear than I was. And I also am open to the possibility that though I have paid some dues, more may be owed!

I think leathers are probably a bit of an over-kill, don't want to look like a wannabe :banghead:

Besides - it gets really hot here 110 F +, so the textile is hot enough!

But yes, I value my skin :D Spent a lot of money on those tattoos - don't need to sand them off :eek:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I was over in Europe, I also noticed that most of the riders wore full gear, head to toe. This included about 13 different countries, not just the UK. Maybe the exception was in Italy, where there were a lot of scooters. Many of them ridden by women in skirts and heels. Also the Italian drivers were crazy.

This Quote by Gmickey2001 "There are two types of riders, those that have been down, and those that are going down."

I can't say it any better, except maybe "when" Regardless, great quote!

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Followed a guy on a Hayabusa the other day in t-shirt, shorts & flip-flops, Tw*t.

I wear a Buffalo 2 piece textile suit. I'd actually like to get leather Jacket & Jeans, not AlpineStars Race suit type, just a old fashioned box standard leather jacket (black).

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Followed a guy on a Hayabusa the other day in t-shirt, shorts & flip-flops, Tw*t.

Seen a fella in Doncaster last week on a ZX-10 Ninja ... wearing t-shirt , shorts and trainers with ankle socks !! absolute madness

:rtfm: No gear = sore body with no skin ;)

I wear a textile jacket with armour, proper boots and cordura trousers with knee protectors. leather on the knees and backside too !

Went on the back of my mates CBR600 and felt naked with jeans on.. Gotta look after those knees :)

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a full suit kind of guy. I have never been on my bike without armoured trousers, boots, jacket, gloves, back protector and a full face helmet.

I have fallen off at slow speed and that hurt like hell so I'll keep wearing them!

My boots are Oxtar made, gloves are alpinestar gortex and kevlar protected, helmet is a Shoei XR-1000, Jacket and pants are RST made and are armoured textiles...cant afford leathers yet..

Gmickey2001, leathers are most definately not overkill...they do afterall allow a rider to slide instead of bounce along the road in case of a spill and they have superb friction protection and wear well in a crash. Bearing in mind that Ireland can get quite cold with not many hot days!!

I'd rather look like a fool than be a cripple. Anyways...leathers are cool!! :) I just wish they were cheaper.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gmickey2001, leathers are most definately not overkill...they do afterall allow a rider to slide instead of bounce along the road in case of a spill and they have superb friction protection and wear well in a crash. Bearing in mind that Ireland can get quite cold with not many hot days!!

I'd rather look like a fool than be a cripple. Anyways...leathers are cool!! :) I just wish they were cheaper.

OK, really I agree with you.

But if I walked in to work in full leathers.............
My co-workers would laugh their assess off and ask me when I got signed on with a sponsor in Supersport!

And sad but true, I believe cops would pull me over just because they figure if I have leathers, then I must ride the bike like I'm racing.

But like I said, really I agree with you. No amount of protection is too much unless it actually impedes your ability to ride the bike. :thumbup:

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn...maybe its my textiles that keeps the police away from me!! :)

Dont mind your co-workers...just tell them that you like to wear leather sometimes!!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was over in the London, Sunbury, Richmond area a few times this summer. I noticed that nearly all the riders had full riding suits. Maybe only 5% had riding jackets and jeans but the other 95% had either one-piece or two piece mostly textile suites. The also seemed to be weaving in and out of traffic, lane splitting and driving in a rather aggressive manor. (I concluded that only the skillful riders are still alive!)

Are riding suits cheaper over there or are Brits just more serious about saving their skin? What is the most popular brand of riding suit?
Hi Mate,
It may also be to do with the weather here. Its genrally cooler than most places. Even in the hot summer days once your moving its comfortable. I wear textiles to with codura jeans and boots. Like gmickey2001 I am that third rider.

hobbit

Short fat and hairy :))))
Reaction score
Visit site
i have full textiles and draggin jeans the best thing since sliced bread, i did have a Belstaff leather Jacket but its a bit worn out so has just been replaced with an Arlen Ness Absolute Ness textile - waterproof leather on the elbows shoulders cuffs and bottom edge, Oxtar boots and decent gloves.
Having been down the road 500yd tarmanc surf at 60mph i would never ride in anything less i am currently saving pennies to replace my KBC with either an Arai or Shoei lid skin is precious and bones heal but my head is another matter;)