Gear indicator/ECU wiring help

namruso

Reaction score
Visit site
Aloha guys,
I recent bought a gear indicator (some cheapy one) and I need to know the the following wires on the ECU:
Ground
12v power
Tachometer pulse
Speedometer pulse
Neutral light

Tried looking up guides for the wiring, but a lot of the older pictures don't work anymore.

Thanks in advance!

namruso

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay so far I have:
Ground - black
Switched 12v - red white with brown dots
Tachometer (rpm) - white yellow
Speedometer - green with grey dots

I pulled this from on of the threads, but unsure if it changes from s1 to s2.

I have a U.S. Version s1.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay so far I have:
Ground - black
Switched 12v - red white with brown dots
Tachometer (rpm) - white yellow
Speedometer - green with grey dots

I pulled this from on of the threads, but unsure if it changes from s1 to s2.

I have a U.S. Version s1.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Mahalo Brudda! Lol! and welcome to the forum!

The crankshaft position sensor which is a gray wire should be the RPM
The white with yellow tracer should be your speed sensor.
Neutral light will be a light green wire coming from your instrument cluster..

namruso

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm gonna be hijacking the ECU. Are these the wires you said on there? Also, which is the instrument cluster?

Mahalo Brudda! Lol! and welcome to the forum!

The crankshaft position sensor which is a gray wire should be the RPM
The white with yellow tracer should be your speed sensor.
Neutral light will be a light green wire coming from your instrument cluster..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm reading that the white yellow is tach and the green with grey dots is my speed sensor. Someone pls confirm

According to the wiring diagram I have for the S1 and the S2 series FZ6 the white with yellow tracer wire coming from the ECU/ECM is the speed sensor. There should be a grey wire (ECU/ECM) that goes to the Crank Shaft Position sensor which should be the tach signal. Your instrument cluster is your Speedometer and Tach unit. There is a light green wire coming from the cluster that that routes to the starter interrupt/cut off safety assembly which is attached to the neutral safety switch. This light green wire will be the neutral signal. :)
I'm interested in where you're getting your color code info for the bike from. I'm using a Yamaha service manual.

namruso

Reaction score
Visit site
You're correct. The one that I was looking at was wrong. All of my harnesses where taped together so I'm unsure which one is actually going to the cluster. :( here's a pic. Maybe you can guide me? Sorry for being bad at this.

Seanimage.jpg

According to the wiring diagram I have for the S1 and the S2 series FZ6 the white with yellow tracer wire coming from the ECU/ECM is the speed sensor. There should be a grey wire (ECU/ECM) that goes to the Crank Shaft Position sensor which should be the tach signal. Your instrument cluster is your Speedometer and Tach unit. There is a light green wire coming from the cluster that that routes to the starter interrupt/cut off safety assembly which is attached to the neutral safety switch. This light green wire will be the neutral signal. :)
I'm interested in where you're getting your color code info for the bike from. I'm using a Yamaha service manual.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You're correct. The one that I was looking at was wrong. All of my harnesses where taped together so I'm unsure which one is actually going to the cluster. :( here's a pic. Maybe you can guide me? Sorry for being bad at this.

SeanView attachment 65496

Your not bad at this. You just haven't been down this road yet. You've got mail.... I sent you some information. You're instrument cluster (S1 FZ6) should have two separate 6 pin plugs One plug has 5 wires and the other has 6 wires. The plug with the 6 wires will have a light green wire. This is the wire for your neutral light. You may have to trace from your instrument cluster toward the harness.

namruso

Reaction score
Visit site
Your not bad at this. You just haven't been down this road yet. You've got mail.... I sent you some information. You're instrument cluster (S1 FZ6) should have two separate 6 pin plugs One plug has 5 wires and the other has 6 wires. The plug with the 6 wires will have a light green wire. This is the wire for your neutral light. You may have to trace from your instrument cluster toward the harness.

I see a light green wire coming out of a 6 pin but it also has a white line going through it. Still unsure to use this one. I'm sorry. Again all my stuff is tapped up really well. Here's a pic of the cable.

image.jpg

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
Is not the green and white one, you're on the wrong plug. This is the best I can do with my phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is not the green and white one, you're on the wrong plug. This is the best I can do with my phone.
That is correct the plug will have a plain light green wire.
Sorry I had to remove pictures because of copy write rules...:)

Sent from Moto's Motorola

J

jesse_sanders

Did you get the wiring figured out? Will probably be doing this is the future.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk