Go Hi Viz!!

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I made a break from the black jacket and went with Hi Viz. I updated my helmet as well.

As you might notice neither of these items screams hey here I am with over the top Hi Viz.

But let me tell you guys it has been a night and day experience so far with the 1200 miles I have logged this season.

Cagers keep their distance almost all the time. They seem more aware and more respectful. The difference is amazing.

Part of it perhaps is my new bike - the FJ-09 is white which somehow may resonate in a different way then the midnight blue
I was rocking on the FZ6.

If you are on the fence about Hi Viz, the next time you update your gear, give changing over to it some thought.

Attachments

• tour_master_sonora_air20_jkt_black_hi_viz_300x300.jpg
    tour_master_sonora_air20_jkt_black_hi_viz_300x300.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Bell helmet.jpg
    Bell helmet.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 16

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed a huge difference when I first switched from a black helmet to a solid Hi-Viz tennis ball yellow helmet probably 8 years ago. All of a sudden the cars pulling out from side streets were waiting until I passed. Since then all my streethelmets have been either solid hi-viz or solid white.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Interestingly, this morning a SUV changed lanes in front of me and another bike that was about two lengths in front, s we came to a set of lights. I pulled up next to the drivers window and the lady must have been about 65-70 yo. So I ensured that I wasn't rude or intimidating, when I asked if she could double check her mirrors as she merged lanes- I didnt even start on no indicators! I pointed out that she had moved into the path of the other bike- a Virago or something similar, ridden by a slight and I assume young, woman in dark clothes- as is the Melbourne fashion.Her helmet was also black. Now the lady in the SUV was quite conversational and explained from her POV that she checked but just didnt see the low bike and the she said she saw me ( coz I have a white lid, yellow parts of my leather jacket and the bike is yellow). She qualified that she always looked for bikes because her son rides and she knows how important it is to look. I wished her a safe journey and we continued on our respective ways. But all this re-enforces the fact that it is a two way deal. I like to be seen by drivers so I make myself conspicuous, I also try not to ride in blind spots. I hope the drivers keep a good look out- but that I have no control over!
ride safe folks