Goin to the Tail

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys,
I am in the process of planning a trip to the Tail of the Dragon next year. I can't wait. I am planning on trailering my bike down there, staying in Gatlinburg, and riding for a few days before returning home. My question is for those that have been before. Looking for recommendations on where to stay and any good routes to take while I am down there. Not looking to stay in a roach motel but don't want to spend an arm and a leg either, and looking for some good loop routes. Thanks.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I cant give any advice on motels as I camped the week I was there. Obviously ride the dragon, and definitely ride the Cherohala Skyway. I actually enjoyed it more than the dragon. The skyway offers awesome views and is faster than the dragon. River Rd. (which can be easily accessed off of the western end of the cherohala skyway) is an awesome cruise. There are a few waterfalls along river rd. and it's pretty scenic twisting through the mountains along the river.

Also, try and ride the dragon during the week. It was noticeably less crowded during the week as opposed to the weekend. It'll be more fun if you're not getting stuck behind the slow cruisers.

Know your limit, too. Its a technical ride and sharp hairpins and switchbacks come outta nowhere..especially for us midwesterners where a turn is far and few between. :thumbup:

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Guys,
I am in the process of planning a trip to the Tail of the Dragon next year. I can't wait. I am planning on trailering my bike down there, staying in Gatlinburg, and riding for a few days before returning home. My question is for those that have been before. Looking for recommendations on where to stay and any good routes to take while I am down there. Not looking to stay in a roach motel but don't want to spend an arm and a leg either, and looking for some good loop routes. Thanks.

I had never heard of the "Tail", :spank: but since your post I have been looking at some the vids on it and it looks very intriguing. Please post your experience, I may want to venture down there in 2015. I am already committed to a family vacation in Maine next year. ;)

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been 5 times since From central VA it's just a 7 hour drive. In fact my avatar picture was me on one of my Tail Camping trips.

I usually camped at the state campground along the Foothills Parkway close to the Tail but when I did stay in hotels I preferred Alcoa/Maryville, TN as they have more hotel options, and more food options. Gatlinburg is more of a small resort/tourist trap town but it is cool to visit. Also, check out Fontana Dam Lodge. I stayed there once on a business trip and it was only about $90/night for a really nice room literally 10 minutes from the Tail!

Definitely ride the Cherohala Skyway. It is more scenic, higher speed, less traffic. It is best to hit the tail EARLY in the morning (shortly after sunrise) if it's the weekend as the cops and the tourists who can't drive/ride hit the road heavy mid-day. The TN troopers do patrol the Tail and run radar traps every weekend and the speed limit on the Tail itself is only 30 mph!

Have fun! Definitely a great trip! :rockon:

Last edited: