GPS Reviews

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reviews guys :thumbup:

I know I posted this in another thread a while back but I think it belongs better here:

It all depends on what your requirements are as to which GPS set up is good for you.
Here’s some info about GPS’s both from my own experience as from reliable sources:

Garmin:
I have a Garmin zumo 500 and I’m very happy with it, nowadays the Garmin 660 has replaced the 500 series. I use a separate small Bluetooth receiver which I keep in my inside pocket and an in-ear earphone (which I don’t generally use on motorways).
I love the track function, you can plot your route and look at it later in mapsource. This same function can be used to ride offroad (if that’s your thing) as it gives directions with an arrow.
The internal memory is not enough for all the europe maps but you can load seperate maps or expand it with a memory card (as I have done).
Another good thing about the memory card slot is that you can upload someone elses route (with a garmin) into the internal memory from their memory card.

The zumo cradle is great, easy to fit your GPS and it remains on my bike all year around. One small point I’ve seen by someone else is that if you have a permanent 12v on it (as opposed to switched on by the ignition/relay) is that this pin is more likely to corrode.
Although it can be used for playing MP3’s and viewing JPG’s I rarely use this, but it’s handy having the user manual in JPG’s especially when I started using it.
I find that the screen is good with little or no reflection.

A cheaper alternative is the zumo 220.
the main difference is size, internal memory (for routes and waypoints) and lack of permanent headset connection (but it does have bluetooth).

A big advantage of Garmin is that there are a lot of tried and tested routes available in Gdb format which you can find on the web, there are also some Gpx (universal) and ITN (tomtom) files out there but not half as many.

Garmin comes standard with mapsource a handy program to plan/view your route

Garmin can also be expanded by buying separate maps for walking, cycling and sailing (it’s well known for outdoor sports).

License: Garmin does both a “one time” as a “lifetime” update Garmin | United Kingdom | Maps - nuMaps

Tomtom:
My wife has a Tomtom for the car and it is almost perfect with getting you from A to B (in Holland at least), they spend a lot of time driving around checking their routing software. My zumo does make more mistakes in A-B routing but is easy to use for riding planned routes.

I read in several reviews that the cradle for the old tomtom rider II often broke so you quite often see this GPS being sold second hand without the cradle.

The urban rider.
I've read some good reviews about the new urban rider, and by all accounts another serious motorbike GPS and a good alternative to the zumo .
The basic urban rider with ram mount seems like a great deal but if you want the “cradle” (powered mount) and car kit you have to buy these seperate. You can of course charge it up before hand (which is said to be good for 5 hours riding).

The urban rider has no memory card, only an internal memory which means routes can only be loaded via a computer. It has an added feature "twisty roads" which can reroute you on the most twisty route, but it doesn't account for quality of road, so it could end up being a farm track.

The older Tomtom software/hardware had a maximum of 48 via points but the new urban rider doesn’t have this problem. The older tomtom riders had a problem with deviating from the planned route and this could only be solved with a lot of fiddling around in separate menus, although this hasn’t been directly solved the urban rider does allow you to pre program 2 buttons from the quickmenu, which can be used to easily navigate to the next via point (instead of the one you have already passed).

License: you have to pay yearly for Tomtom updates but they are cheaper than the garmin onetime

I used to use TYRE (made by a Dutch clergyman) to make routes for Tomtom, and this worked very well, I even sometimes view a gpx route (exported from mapsource) with it.

I think it depends on personal choice and budget which GPS is best for you.

Alternative set up:
I used to use a charged up palm top with Tomtom laid in my tank bag. It was a bit of a mess around as it had a separate GPS antenna and I had to be careful to keep it waterproof when it rained (which is almost as often in Holland as in UK). When it rained I could hardly see the screen.
Be careful when wiring up your GPS as some use less than 12v but have a voltage regulator in the adapter/cigarette plug to supply the correct voltage. This means if you directly wire to the 12v something will blow. On my old palm top I soldered the voltage regulator which I removed from a spare cigarette plug into an adapter box and connected this to a switched 12v source on the bike.

There are a couple of cheap solutions:
I hear good reviews over the [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/GIVI-S850-UNIVERSAL-WATERPROOF-HOLDER/dp/B002YEI2U0.]Givi GPS bag[/ame].

There are also similar solutions for Iphones

Be aware that Bluetooth uses more power so a charged up unit without a power source using this can run down the GPS's battery really quickly.

Don’t forget to shop around, I got my zumo cheaply via a French webshop, I only had to change language and load the extra maps I wanted (it was Europe maps but only France was preinstalled).

I connected my garmin cable to an unused plug under the LH cover it has four connectors of which 2 are a switched 12v supply.

You can also find more info here.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nokia lets you do either, stream the maps or download to the phone.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Ovi maps on the E72 had to have an open data connection to download maps as you went? Kinda like Google Maps on iPhones... I hope I'm wrong, though.
It gives you a quicker connection but you can disable it in connection settings.
So it costs nothing.

Nelly

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a little thing I just found. I noticed that I was getting corrosion on my GPS connector. It still works, but you can see from the photo that over a year of being exposed to the elements is sending it downhill. I bought these little covers from USB Caps | USB Covers | USB Plugs | USB Port Covers | Phone 1-877-842-3551 | USB Caps that fit any standard USB connector, memory stick and flash drive. They are inexpensive and work great (as far as I can tell).

They're the Mini-B KiwiKaps, and cost me $4.77 for a pack of 5.

F

FZ6 Naked!

I use my HTC Desire HD droid phone in a case designed for that model SlipGrip RAM Mount 4 HTC Desire HD Otterbox Commuter | eBay. This sits on a super cool RAM mount Motorcycle Clamp Mount.

Pro: Music, GPS, and mobile phone all in 1 package (though I don't use the headset yet...just getting started)

Con: Screen is electric sensitive, not pressure. This means I have to mod my gloves to be able to use the screen on it or remove the gloves every time I want to touch a button! I'm a big fan of pulling over to play with toys, but not taking my gloves off each time.

I'll try to remember to post up some pics once I'm done with the last part of my charging system.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Garmin Nuvi 295W - Tiger direct $79.99

Use to be a cell phone from what I understand, but now it's just a GPS. You can turn the unit to view the screen in landscape or portrait mode, has an MP3 player and 3 MP camera, built in WIFI with email and a browser, and it has an advertised 4 hour battery life if you wanna take a short hike. Other then that is has the regular GPS stuff I guess (this is my first GPS)

Pros: Small, long battery life, detailed maps with millions of points of intrest, great reception/sat tracking, touch screen works well even through the clear map pocket cover on my tank bag.

cons: low volume (hard to hear with headphones on the bike, no problem in a car though), no bluetooth

edit - Oh yeah, it also has an easily replaceable battery, seems most GPSs I looked at did not or the battery was not servicable.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a little thing I just found. I noticed that I was getting corrosion on my GPS connector. It still works, but you can see from the photo that over a year of being exposed to the elements is sending it downhill. I bought these little covers from USB Caps | USB Covers | USB Plugs | USB Port Covers | Phone 1-877-842-3551 | USB Caps that fit any standard USB connector, memory stick and flash drive. They are inexpensive and work great (as far as I can tell).

They're the Mini-B KiwiKaps, and cost me $4.77 for a pack of 5.

Am I the only one that instantly thought "sweet, condoms for your USB!"

---
- Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a Garmin Zumo 350LM.

Long story short, this unit was very easy to install. It came with a U-bolt mount to the handlebar made by RAM mounts, seems quite sturdy. The electronics box that is in the cabling (transformer or some kind of voltage converter) fit nicely on the top of the battery box.

Pros:

-Easy to use
-7.25GB of internal memory
-Touchscreen is easy to see in sunlight and works well even with thick winter gloves
-Water- and fuelproof
-Fast and accurate GPS, finds the location quite fast even when started after a long turnoff time
-Tracks your trips
-Lifetime map updates
-Sturdy construction
-Long battery life when used without power supply
-Displays highway junction signs, makes taking the right lane easy
-Loud internal speaker, with full volume driving directions can be heard up to ~80km/h with motorcycle-specific earplugs
-Comes with an automotive suction cup mount and 12V charger as well

Cons:

-Expensive (449€ in Finland)
-Does not have an MP3 player
-Limited usability together with a mobile phone and Bluetooth headset, each device must be paired on their own to headset (as I understood this works better in Zumo 660 as in you can pair both the headset and the phone to the GPS, no problem for me though as I don't have use for this functionality)
-Basecamp PC software for track planning and such is awkward to use

There's lots of functionalities that I don't have tested such as service log for your bike, fuel calculator with "find the closest fuel station when needed" -functionality etc.

Last edited:

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
That little box in the cabling is most likely the traffic receiver! Zumos are Too pricey for my tastes though! But their touchscreen works well with gloves. I think there should be a motorcycle GPS app for iOS or Andriod!!

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
That little box in the cabling is most likely the traffic receiver! Zumos are Too pricey for my tastes though! But their touchscreen works well with gloves. I think there should be a motorcycle GPS app for iOS or Andriod!!

Hmm, probably not as the traffic receiver needs to be bought as an additional accessory and it has its own connector....