Grrr

Heather

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, so I took my bike in to Blackfoot for its 1000 k service, at about 710 km. It was running PERFECTLY before. Now that they've changed the oil - 10W40, and apparently adjusted a few cables, the bike is not sounding smooth at idle at all - the same sound, but skipping quite a bit. I sort of noticed it when I left...and because I was just glad to get my bike back, thought "oh, maybe it's just a one time thing"...but I certainly notice how it sounds now. It sort of worries me, because I'm afraid it's going to just decide not to run when I'm at a light! I could probably take it back but to be perfectly honest, I'd REALLY rather not return to Blackfoot...(also, they're booking two weeks in advance). I need my bike for my trip to SLC next week. Ideas anyone?

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Another one goes to crookfoot only to get screwed. Honestly, that place needs to be burned to the ground.

Anyways, check the oil, check the oil filter, and if you could, a little more description would be helpful. If all else fails, run it up to Walt Healy. They will treat you proper.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There isn't much to do at the 1000km interval. It does say to check egnine idle speed so maybe they didn't let it warm up enough and dropped the idle. On a warmed up engine you should be around the 1200rpm range. I'm kind of leaning towards that.

Another Blackfoot horror story. I almost bought a bike from them. Lucky me.

SueMc

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to take my EX500 to Blackfoot for service and they had more screw-ups! I will never take another bike there for service! They left the cap off the coolant reservoir and I didn't notice til I was almost home. The bike was covered in antifreeze! Another time they didn't tighten the lock nut on the rear wheel. Fortunately we noticed before we left, but it took almost half an hour to fix the problem.

If you live in the south end of Calgary (or don't mind the ride), I would recommend Seitzco Motorsports in Okotoks. I've had my FZ6 serviced there since Walt Healy's didn't return my calls to book a service appointment and I've had no problems at all! They do a great job and you can usually get in within a couple of days of calling!

Heather

Reaction score
Visit site
Just checked the oil - all good. The warmed up idle is about 1100. My daughter had a listen - having heard it before Blackfoot, and she said "now it sounds horrible!" Shinn - it's hard to describe the way it's running - other than just it sounds really rough, like it's not getting enough fuel - as if the throttle was down anymore, it would just splutter and die. Or as if I'd gotten "bad gasoline" (not the case, as it was running poorly before I filled the tank again). I was cruising in first through a mall parking lot yesterday, and I have to say I was embarrassed by how bad my bike sounded. It seems to be getting worse, not better...later on yesterday I stalled trying to pull away at an intersection - just giving it as much gas as I USED to. NOT GOOD.

I'll try Walt Healy and see what they can help me out - and if not, then I'll try zipping down to Okotoks. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to suck up the cost of whatever it takes to repair, (hopefully it's just a simple throttle adjustment), but I am loathe to take it back to BFoot. I'm not keen on the potential of turning this into an expensive fixing festival for them.

Thanks everyone for your help!

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Some possibilities:

- not firing on all cylinders(plug wire off)
- vacuum/air leak (throttle body boot not sealing, vacuum port left unplugged from TB sync)

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
MB Walt Healy will cover it on warranty? Also, the vent lines under the tank kinked? Good luck.

Last edited:

Heather

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got my bike back from Walt Healy this aft. It doesn't run *quite* as perfectly as before, but it is vastly improved. WH checked the bike for an error code, found none, but they did synch the throttle bodies and set the idle up correctly.
And my bike runs so much better now! No more worrying about stalling! - AND I have power again to take off!
I don't know any of the why or how around this problem that may have happened at Blackfoot...but I don't think I'll be going back there. That was an expensive 1000 k service! It cost me over $200 for the service at Blackfoot, then another $150 for the fix at WH. Plus the $35 cab ride from WH. Maybe going back to Blackfoot they wouldn't have charged, but since that's where the problems began, I didn't feel like dealing with the possibility of having more trouble.
Thanks again everyone for your help and ideas! (This forum is excellent :thumbup:)

Perhaps I should have checked this before I went for service:

http://www.bbb.org/calgary/business...ers/blackfoot-motorsports-in-calgary-ab-31333

http://www.bbb.org/calgary/business...alt-healy-motorsports-inc-in-calgary-ab-36699

Last edited:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
but they did synch the throttle bodies and set the idle up correctly.

since its the same base engine, i was going to chime into you that its probably that they adjusted the idle... it usually the culprit when the bike sounds a little messed up... thats cool that they synced the throttle bodies for you as well.. now it'll be a really smooth running bike.. :thumbup:

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my Fz from blackfoot in January (nowhere else could even touch the deal the gave me for an '08) and im a little skeptical taking it back to that first service. Im booked in for the 8th.

Only thing im worried about is voiding my warranty by taking it somewhere else. Think its worth the risk? (the warranty only covers this year anyways...)

Heather

Reaction score
Visit site
I also got my bike for a great price, and I was also told I had to bring the bike back to Blackfoot for first service, or the warranty would be void. Check your warranty. I believe that you can take it to any Yamaha authorized dealer...and advise extreme caution when dealing with Blackfoot service.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some possibilities:

- not firing on all cylinders(plug wire off)
- vacuum/air leak (throttle body boot not sealing, vacuum port left unplugged from TB sync)

Good call. Almost sounds like a plug wire is off or maybe arcing. Maybe a pinched line? Also sound like the throttle bodies have been knocked out of sync.
Get it checked soon.

I had a creepy experience at a dealer and when I told them they messed up they just looked at me stupid and told me my overtightened chain would stretch out. I won't by anything there and tell everyone to stay away Alba Motor Sports in Poway, Ca. They are dangerous!

Good luck!

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my Fz from blackfoot in January (nowhere else could even touch the deal the gave me for an '08) and im a little skeptical taking it back to that first service. Im booked in for the 8th.

Only thing im worried about is voiding my warranty by taking it somewhere else. Think its worth the risk? (the warranty only covers this year anyways...)

Who put the notion in your head you will lose your warranty... as you mentioned? REPEAT AFTER ME....You will not void the warranty if you take it to someone else or even do the work yourself.... I never take my bike to a dealer unless it needs warranty work. I do all my own maintanence... Never been refused a warranty in 25 years of bike ownership.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Great thread, thanks. Sounds like Blackfoot should be avoided at all costs. I had them change tires for me once and had no problems, though the price seemed kinda high. I generally do all my own maintenance anyway, and yes, provided you document your work, the warranty is still valid.

Bake

Reaction score
Visit site
that's too bad about your 1000km service heather.

Mine is coming up too. Was planning to take it back to Bow Cycle, where I originally bought it. After that I will do all/most of my own maintenance. Hope your engine's running better