H4 LED lights question

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking to buy LED bulbs for my bike. I need H4 bi bulbs. Seeing in ebay i see different rating of 35w 60w even 100w. What do i actually need for this or it doesn't matter ?

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure the rating isn't for two bulbs. If they're sold in pairs they usually combine the wattage. The H4 I bought is below; listed as 80W, but they use 40W each.

7edf8d2ff45a0e95bcf525b974d5a4e0.jpg

If the rating is 60W or 100W for just one bulb, that seems excessive. Most h4 halogens use about 65W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No, you don't need to match the wattage. But stick to something equal or less to your halogen rating IMO.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My H4 LED lamps are rated at around 24 watts. That's one of the advantages of using LED lamps. The halogen H4 is rated on average 55 watts for the low beam and 65 watts for the high beam. There are 2 filaments in the H4 halogen and only one filament is used at a time, If you examine the H4 halogen lamp you'll see the 2 filaments and one filament has a little shield shaped like a tiny tub. This filament is also at a different location within the lamp. This is a specific design so that the lamp projects light efficiently to the reflector which is specifically designed for the H4 lamp design.

The H4 LED headlights I have put out lots of light but I wish it's design were better matched for my reflector. More light output reflected in the wrong area is a disadvantage to your vision. Maybe it's time for LED lamps for H4/H7 retrofit to be designed so that they actually work with reflectors designed to work with halogen lamps. :)

An interesting concept in engineering these days is to obliterate everyone's natural ability to see by using superbright LED tail/brake lamps. They are far brighter than they need to be and the hinder your ability to see and process information at intersections. Yes, you can see them better, but 2 miles is plenty of time to see them before you brake. LOL! One great idea behind the LED is to conserve energy and it looks like they could conserve even more energy. They might run the LED tail section at a lower rate when the headlamps are active since most all modern design use daytime running lights and you might not use you headlights during the day anyway. Just a thought/observation.:popcorn:

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
O/T but it seems the Thanks and Like functions are Busticated!!! Oh Dennis....

I tried....

One question, if we continue to unload the FZ by using 2/3 less wattage at 6 different bulbs, any fear the shunt in the RR will give us the finger and burn up?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
O/T but it seems the Thanks and Like functions are Busticated!!! Oh Dennis....

I tried....

One question, if we continue to unload the FZ by using 2/3 less wattage at 6 different bulbs, any fear the shunt in the RR will give us the finger and burn up?

Yup! I pulled the big Thank you lever and Like lever in the boiler room and nothing happened.... [MENTION=1]Admin[/MENTION]

I've wondered about the shunt regulation but figured if I started the bike and hit the freeway it would be the close to the same thing. Series regulation done properly is the key. Ah...perhaps a new project! The prices I've seen for series regulators is mucho! I did toast a stator last year....Replaced it with a Rick's Electric stator.

I think the design should be soft on and off regulation with logic control.

We could get Jerry to whip us up some nice heat sinks on the Torcam! :)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup! I pulled the big Thank you lever and Like lever in the boiler room and nothing happened.... [MENTION=1]Admin[/MENTION]

I've wondered about the shunt regulation but figured if I started the bike and hit the freeway it would be the close to the same thing. Series regulation done properly is the key. Ah...perhaps a new project! The prices I've seen for series regulators is mucho! I did toast a stator last year....Replaced it with a Rick's Electric stator.

I think the design should be soft on and off regulation with logic control.

We could get Jerry to whip us up some nice heat sinks on the Torcam! :)

600cc.org is busted too, but its running of new GUI so some kinks to work out.

I think the issue for the FZ is those permanent magnets. It needs to be like a cage alternator. A perk is free power when system isn't loaded.

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
For you that have installed LED Bulbs. Is it actually worth the money or is it better to just get something like OSRAM nightbreaker Laser.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I love mine, glad I installed them. And it wasn't that much money- spent $75 US total for a pair of H7's and a pair of H4's.
Can't speak for your OSRAM's, don't know what they are.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For you that have installed LED Bulbs. Is it actually worth the money or is it better to just get something like OSRAM nightbreaker Laser.

My LEDs, although not perfect, are still better than incandescent lamps which are what the OSRAM nightbreaker Laser lamps are. My LEDs use much less current and product more light. I think aiming is more a problem for my setup which is not the FZ6. I have the SV1000s.

LEDs will use at least half as much current as the incandescent lamps and that is a good deal for the FZ6 if you're using higher current like heated grips etc.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah i am concerned about the aiming. Don`t want to blind oncoming traffic

[MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION] is right about the aiming... and I think I _did_ have some issues with having it initially too high (such that I had a few ppl flip their high-beams at me at first). Not the case now, a little experimenting and I have a happy medium.

I do like the LEDs that I have, would not go back. They provide more light overall, and it does seem to go further, and yes I have heated grips so I like it taking pressure off the electrical system. The extra light is especially noticeable on enclosed roads... say, NJ Pine Barrens, or a small country road with lots of tree overhang and no ambient light... at highway speeds, feels like I can see (and thus anticipate) quite a bit further.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
OK Mr gnyce, would you please tell us/me what set up you have? My 76 year old eyes need all the help they can get. I've hit four deer after all, only one on my bike though it was totaled and I ended up in critical. In Colorado the hunting limit is one lousy deer. We need more mt lions or a reasonable fish and wildlife dept though I suspect they like deer better then bikers.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OK Mr gnyce, would you please tell us/me what set up you have? My 76 year old eyes need all the help they can get. I've hit four deer after all, only one on my bike though it was totaled and I ended up in critical. In Colorado the hunting limit is one lousy deer. We need more mt lions or a reasonable fish and wildlife dept though I suspect they like deer better then bikers.

/// completely O/T....
But, open 2bro cans and the 4 legged hoved rats turn back before entering the street. I am not in favor of the outright noise but not being killed by a dear is a huge deal as they had previously ran an intersect course to remove bike from the road....

I hate them. So unpredictable! Loud works in the woods!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION] is right about the aiming... and I think I _did_ have some issues with having it initially too high (such that I had a few ppl flip their high-beams at me at first). Not the case now, a little experimenting and I have a happy medium.

I do like the LEDs that I have, would not go back. They provide more light overall, and it does seem to go further, and yes I have heated grips so I like it taking pressure off the electrical system. The extra light is especially noticeable on enclosed roads... say, NJ Pine Barrens, or a small country road with lots of tree overhang and no ambient light... at highway speeds, feels like I can see (and thus anticipate) quite a bit further.

Your better off turning your lights off when going through the Jersey Pine Barrens Lol!

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I don't necessarily want to shill for a specific product, and honestly, it'd be better if [MENTION=3985]IAMJUSTIFYD[/MENTION] would chime in - they did this much more recently (the LED bulbs that I got have since been replaced by newer models). See here - http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/57387-can-we-use-led-bulbs.html#post630555 (the whole thread really) That post has what she got, which is current - I got mine in Feb 2016.

good luck!

PS - I've lived in both Co Spgs and Ft Collins, will always have a thing for CO. The deer here (PA) do not seem to be disturbed by my no-baffled Scorps.

PSS - I should hope to still be on a bike at 76, you are my hero major tom