Question Has anyone solved the buffeting / wind noise problem (2004-2006)

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
So, I bought my FZ6 new in 2004 (the faster silver), and since day one, the buffeting and wind noise problem has driven me crazy. I had the stock windscreen, tried the tall Yamaha windscreen and now have the Puig, but none of them are good. Actually, the tall Yamaha one was horrible, with speeds over 75 there was violent shaking of my helmet!

I am over six feet tall, so maybe that has something to do with it? Slouching way down does seem to make it better.

I used to think that it would be good to somehow get a layer of air under the windscreen, by somehow putting spacers in above the instrument panel, below where the windscreen attaches. Has anyone done anything like that? I haven't been on the forum for a while, so I thought I'd ask. Heck, I have a 3D printer now, so maybe I could actually make something that works.

I've always wondered if the S2 (2007+) bikes were better with regards to wind noise and buffeting, but I've never ridden one. With all the mods that I've done to my bike, swapping the front fairing would just be another thing to do. :)

Japarley

Reaction score
Visit site
Iv ridden the S2 and found it worse ...! seems screen is flatter ?
im 5.10 and find my 04 standard screen is a lot better
at speeds well over the limits
the naked one is a bit heavy on the chest area
kind of hang on and tuck in

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a 2004 with the Puig double bubble screen and it was fine, I am 6' and I could ride at indicated 240km/h plus with no issues.

I can't say the same for my Tracer, the stock screen is a waste of time.

yankjim

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I bought my FZ6 new in 2004 (the faster silver), and since day one, the buffeting and wind noise problem has driven me crazy. I had the stock windscreen, tried the tall Yamaha windscreen and now have the Puig, but none of them are good. Actually, the tall Yamaha one was horrible, with speeds over 75 there was violent shaking of my helmet!

I am over six feet tall, so maybe that has something to do with it? Slouching way down does seem to make it better.

I used to think that it would be good to somehow get a layer of air under the windscreen, by somehow putting spacers in above the instrument panel, below where the windscreen attaches. Has anyone done anything like that? I haven't been on the forum for a while, so I thought I'd ask. Heck, I have a 3D printer now, so maybe I could actually make something that works.

I've always wondered if the S2 (2007+) bikes were better with regards to wind noise and buffeting, but I've never ridden one. With all the mods that I've done to my bike, swapping the front fairing would just be another thing to do. :)
I think the design of the helmet has a lot to do with it. I have an old round Bell which just about pulls my head of at anything over 60 mph. I also have a KBR which is a different shape and almost no buffeting at all.

Reactions: FXI

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the design of the helmet has a lot to do with it. I have an old round Bell which just about pulls my head of at anything over 60 mph. I also have a KBR which is a different shape and almost no buffeting at all.
I have an X-Lite 802 and an AGV Corsa R and I don't notice much difference in buffeting although the wind noise in the AGV is terrible even with earplugs. My old Shoei was miles better than both of them.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Seems that this issue is highly individual, I'm 180 cm / 5'-10 55/64" and I love the stock windscreen. The wind hits me at my shoulders and above but it's a weakened clean air that causes no buffeting whatsoever. Helmet is Shoei GT air and before that Shark s900

FXI

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 170 cm, The stock screen caused problems with buffeting.
I bought the puig touring windscreen and couldn't note that much of a difference so I added the puig screen deflector on top of it (the one that doesn't require drilling). Helped a little bit but it didn't eliminate the buffeting 100%.

Recently I read a review of the Tracer 900 from MCN and it seems that the MRA Variotouring screen perfectly removes the buffeting.
Unfortunately this screen is not available for fz6 build pre 2007. So now I'm thinking that maybe I could copy the design with the screen and deflector that I already have.

Otherwise I'm going to cut / lower the screens as suggested in another thread.

I'm currently using the 1th gen Shoei Neotec helmet.

durk96

Reaction score
Visit site
I just cut down my 2004 FZ6 Windscreen by about 4" and it seems to help. I'm 6'1" and before I had to sit up VERY straight to eliminate buffeting, now it seems better but time will tell. I'll have to get some sort of weather-stripping to go over the cut part, any suggestions? The cut is fairly clean but, still looks unusual.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just cut down my 2004 FZ6 Windscreen by about 4" and it seems to help. I'm 6'1" and before I had to sit up VERY straight to eliminate buffeting, now it seems better but time will tell. I'll have to get some sort of weather-stripping to go over the cut part, any suggestions? The cut is fairly clean but, still looks unusual.

If you look at my avater you can see my cut down windscreen. I used to do a lot of point of sale plex displays as well as trade show exhibit plex fabrication. Since you live pretty close, you might swing buy one of these days and I can help.