Headlight bulbs

Duckman

Braapp
Reaction score
Visit site
I’m sure this has been said before, but I want to change my headlight bulbs to xenon white, what is the size of the bulbs. 2008 Fz6

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And...as a caution, in case you are unaware, be sure to keep the glass envelope clean of any fingerprints. The oils in our skin will turn to carbon from the lamp heat and prevent the lamp from cooling properly, causing premature failure. :)

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So, you want more photons out front?

Please consider these LED's.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074GZ3S4P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That page is for the H4's but they also have H7's.

This upgrade is super simple and is very very effective. I did it last fall and have not had a heat problem. Note that the bulbs use a heat sink and do not have an external fan like many recent but slightly older LED's use.

The beam shape is identical to what you get from the halogen bulbs, so you have no problems with the cutoff line blinding oncoming cars. The output is AWESOME and slightly blue.

The installation for the H4 is simple. Just remove the twist lock locating ring from the bulb. Insert bulb through the dust cover, reapply the locating ring and then insert the bulb into the housing and apply the spring clip. Remount the dust cover to the housing and you're done.

The installation for the H7 is a bit more involved. Note that the bike comes with an adaptor that is needed to connect the wiring lead the the two-prong bulb. With the LED, you get a short lead from the bulb with the prongs at the end of it. So, you need to move that adaptor to the end of the lead from the bulb. The problem is that the spring clip inside the housing is sized/positioned to take advantage of the flange around that adaptor. So you cannot simply pop the bulb in and lock it down.

My solution was to buy a 1" dia nylon washer (Lowes) and then carve out the inner diameter so that it fit over the bulb. This washer then provided the surface needed for the spring clip to hold the bulb. Slip the bulb through the dust cover. Put the washer over the bulb and up against the dust cover. Reinstall the locking ring - this will be TIGHT. With this approach, the locating ring on the LED bulb still fits into the recesses in the housing and your focus stays the same as for the halogen H7. The fit to get the spring clip onto the washer and then get the dust cover over it all was rather tight. Took a few scraped knuckles and cuss words. But it worked.Should be easier if you handle this during warmer weather.

My friend Trepetti found a slightly different approach with less modification to the washer.But the locating ring doesn't engage the slots in the housing

Note that the vendor on Amazon sells these in pairs, so for $65 +/- you end up with a spare H4 and a spare H7. You can sell/donate the extras to a worthy friend, or maybe if you asked, the vendor would sell one of each. Didn't think of that when I was so happy to get LEDs up and running.

Chris

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074GZ3S4P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This upgrade is super simple and is very very effective. I did it last fall and have not had a heat problem. Note that the bulbs use a heat sink and do not have an external fan like many recent but slightly older LED's use.

The beam shape is identical to what you get from the halogen bulbs, so you have no problems with the cutoff line blinding oncoming cars. The output is AWESOME and slightly blue.

The installation for the H4 is simple. Just remove the twist lock locating ring from the bulb. Insert bulb through the dust cover, reapply the locating ring and then insert the bulb into the housing and apply the spring clip. Remount the dust cover to the housing and you're done.

The installation for the H7 is a bit more involved. Note that the bike comes with an adaptor that is needed to connect the wiring lead the the two-prong bulb. With the LED, you get a short lead from the bulb with the prongs at the end of it. So, you need to move that adaptor to the end of the lead from the bulb. The problem is that the spring clip inside the housing is sized/positioned to take advantage of the flange around that adaptor. So you cannot simply pop the bulb in and lock it down.

My solution was to buy a 1" dia nylon washer (Lowes) and then carve out the inner diameter so that it fit over the bulb. This washer then provided the surface needed for the spring clip to hold the bulb. Slip the bulb through the dust cover. Put the washer over the bulb and up against the dust cover. Reinstall the locking ring - this will be TIGHT. With this approach, the locating ring on the LED bulb still fits into the recesses in the housing and your focus stays the same as for the halogen H7. The fit to get the spring clip onto the washer and then get the dust cover over it all was rather tight. Took a few scraped knuckles and cuss words. But it worked.Should be easier if you handle this during warmer weather.

My friend Trepetti found a slightly different approach with less modification to the washer.But the locating ring doesn't engage the slots in the housing

Note that the vendor on Amazon sells these in pairs, so for $65 +/- you end up with a spare H4 and a spare H7. You can sell/donate the extras to a worthy friend, or maybe if you asked, the vendor would sell one of each. Didn't think of that when I was so happy to get LEDs up and running.

Chris[/QUOTE [MENTION=24625]ShoopCE[/MENTION] speaks truth! While the H7 requires a little creativity, it is no big deal. What IS a big deal is the additional light you get with no change to your beam pattern. If I didn't already have them, I'd go out and get them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Duckman

Braapp
Reaction score
Visit site

Chris

This sounds great, but I’m looking for simple plug and play replacement white bulbs. To replace halogens. Don’t ride too often at night

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This information may help depending on the design of the LED replacement you will use as well as your reflector design. Incidental light being reflected on the ground, in front of the bike can have a debilitating effect on your vision regardless of claims of projected forward light which prompted me to switch back to Halogen lamps.
https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/57742-led-headlights.html#post633158

Last edited: