Headlight - Led indicator on dashboard not working

Eric

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I have recently bought a FZ6 S2 2008. There was a known issue included with the purchase. The indicator for the high beam/headlight isn't showing if the headlight is on or not on the dashboard. This is a law here in Sweden that this must be working when the bike is registered/inspected. Otherwise I could have lived with that :)

When the bike is turned on all lamps and instrumental signs are tested and everything thing else is working. But not the blue headlight indicator on the dashboard.

In the instrumental books it seems that there is a LED used as indicator. Is there anyone know if this LED can be changed or if the whole module (I guess a circut board) must been replaced?

If i cant change the lamp i Think i connect a blue LED from the headlight that is seriell conected and shows when the lamp is on, but that´s the last solution.

Thanks in advance!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our great family!

Your instrument cluster has a 16 pin plug with 11 wires. One wire is black with a yellow tracer. Start the engine. The headlight circuit does not have voltage until the engine is running. Turn on the high beam and make sure the high beam is on/active. Test the black with yellow tracer wire at the instrument cluster plug. There should be 12 vdc nominal between this wire and ground. If there is 12 vdc at this junction then the LED may be open. The schematic for this inside the cluster also shows an inline diode in series with the high beam LED indicator so it could also be that inline diode that had failed.

I'm sorry to say I am not familiar with how to access the interior of the instrument cluster but I'm hoping someone with this experience will chime in. :)

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Member Finalimpact has pulled the consoles apart before (but for other reasons, I believe for corrosion inside).

If Motogiro's post doesn't help, you can get into the console and see if the issue is inside.

[MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Eric

Reaction score
Visit site
First off, thanks for the reply and the warm welcome to the forum! :hug:

I did take it apart, it looked all right and there were no sign of water/inside the instruments. And the light working.
By an occasion i found this thread:

https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/35543-dead-high-beam-dashboard-indicator.html

And the funny thing i that i found a black Cable with a white stripe on that end in a connector, but missing a Cable on the other side of the connector  so I found the error with help from the description from above. But now i have another issue to fix it, i can’t find the lost Cable. Does somebody know where the black Cable goes next? Maybe i have to replace it with a new Cable (if i can’t find the lost one).

Br, Eric

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most (dunno about all of it) of the "handle bar wiring / instrument gauge" goes under the battery tray / fuel tank and plugs into the main harness.

I suspect after plugging into the harness it eventually goes to the ECU (guessing), Cliff would know better...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First off, thanks for the reply and the warm welcome to the forum! :hug:

I did take it apart, it looked all right and there were no sign of water/inside the instruments. And the light working.
By an occasion i found this thread:

https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/35543-dead-high-beam-dashboard-indicator.html

And the funny thing i that i found a black Cable with a white stripe on that end in a connector, but missing a Cable on the other side of the connector  so I found the error with help from the description from above. But now i have another issue to fix it, i can’t find the lost Cable. Does somebody know where the black Cable goes next? Maybe i have to replace it with a new Cable (if i can’t find the lost one).

Br, Eric

Interestingly that black with the white tracer wire should be for a temperature warning light. I imagine it is not used with the FZ6? You do have a temp gauge and I imagine if the bike overheats the check engine light should come on. :)

Can someone check to see (S2 FZ6) if you have a temp light active when you turn the key to on?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Turns out that black with white tracer wire is a system ground.
Are all the other indicator lights working?

There is only one light that does not use that common cluster system ground and that is the neutral safety light.

Last edited:

Eric

Reaction score
Visit site
yes all the others lights on the instrument panel is working. Only the blue light that´s indicates if the headlight is on or off that is not working.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
yes all the others lights on the instrument panel is working. Only the blue light that´s indicates if the headlight is on or off that is not working.

That blue indicator light is for only when the high beam is active. It does not light when the headlight system is on low beam.

See my #2 post in this thread and confirm there is positive12vdc on the black with yellow tracer wire, while the high beam is turned on. Remember the engine must be running or the headlight circuit does not activate.

Eric

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the blue light should only flash one second when the test sequence runs at start up. And also when the head light “high beam” is turned on.
I haven’t had time to be at the garage, but I still think that it´s the black cable with the with tripe that is missing at the connector that are the problem.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the blue light should only flash one second when the test sequence runs at start up. And also when the head light “high beam” is turned on.
I haven’t had time to be at the garage, but I still think that it´s the black cable with the with tripe that is missing at the connector that are the problem.

No, the blue high beam cluster indicator should not flash on during the key on, auto test sequence. There are 6 lights in the cluster that could auto test through the internal IC in the cluster. One is the neutral safety light but I'm not sure it has it's ground through the cluster ground. If it doesn't have the cluster ground the auto test will not light the neutral light unless the transmission is in neutral. The schematic is unclear as to whether the neutral safety has a cluster ground and I doubt that it does use the cluster ground because the neutral safety is activated though a ground path and if it used the cluster system ground it would be always lit.

Lights that are not tied to the cluster IC auto start are the high beam, left and right turn signals, and 2 cluster back lights(always active with key on). These last mentioned lights should not come on during the key on auto test but can be continuously lit if the high beam or turn signal/4 ways are active while the key is on.

Lights that do come on during key on auto test should be fuel warning,oil level,check engine, and coolant temperature.

Also the high beam indicator should not be active if the engine is not running because the headlamp relay does not come on until the engine has been started, So before checking anything pertaining to the headlights the engine needs to be running.

Again, please see my #2 post and test for high beam signal to the cluster. :)

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to add to the above, Cliff is correct in key ON, the blue HB indicator does NOT come on at all (no flash, NOTHING).

The Neutral light (in neutral), comes on (of course) and stays on at key on / running.

Eric

Reaction score
Visit site
The Cable that are not going/connected any where.
IMG_1735.JPG

I have messured the black with yellow marker Cable. But please confirm that i did correct to mesure between that Cable and the frame of the bike. (i guessed that this is the GND?!) There were no voltage there when the high beam was on.
IMG_1734.JPG

The LED we are talking about is the one in the middle on the top row. (To the Right of the green "N" LED.)
IMG_1736.JPG

sorry for all the questions and not knowing more. Im not that skilled when it comes to this issue. Thanks for all the replies!

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
View attachment 69479

I have messured the black with yellow marker Cable. But please confirm that i did correct to mesure between that Cable and the frame of the bike. (i guessed that this is the GND?!) There were no voltage there when the high beam was on.
View attachment 69480

The LED we are talking about is the one in the middle on the top row. (To the Right of the green "N" LED.)
View attachment 69478

sorry for all the questions and not knowing more. Im not that skilled when it comes to this issue. Thanks for all the replies!

Have confidence in yourself. You will solve this.

Testing the high beam indicator signal against the chassis is good as long as you ground it to a non painted point. A stainless nut or button head is a decent place to look for a ground. Testing a known live 12vdc positive against your ground point is a good way to confirm the ground your using. The wire you're testing should be black with a yellow tracer. The engine must be running with the headlight on and the high beam switch on. You should see the high beam lit. How are you gaining access to the wire? Through the insulator or a pin on the plug? Are you using a test light or a meter. Are you testing while the engine is running and with the high beam on?

That other plug (single wire) in the 1st photo looks like it is a terminated wire. Sometimes you will find a wire that goes nowhere because the same harness is used on a different bike for a different market or it is a factory/ tech test point.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What color is the wire to that plug! It looks like a yellow tracer but I can't be sure.

attachment.php

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
View attachment 69479

View attachment 69480

View attachment 69478

This ever get resolved?

A meter set to diode test is enough to light the led. Think I've repaired 3 clusters for various levels of damage.