Heat!!! (Cooling upgrades?)

jawad242

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got an '08 FZ6 after my FZ1 got crashed, and so far its pretty good, except the heat!

Texas is extremely hot this year, so in the approx 100-105 degree weather, my bike is running about 187-193 F on the highway. From what I have found on the forum, that seems about normal, but it is miserable to ride, especially long distances, with that heat going to my legs and I'm worried the bike will oveheat in stop and go traffic. This temp looks so weird, especially coming from my FZ1 which would be in the 170s riding around, and never went past 210 (also somehow I would feel the heat less on that bike?).

Are there any known cooling upgrades available? Maybe a radiator/fan from a different bike? Only thing I can think of to try is a coolant flush and use engine ice but that's about it. Would some aftermarket lower fairings help reduce the heat I'm feeling on my legs?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Down here in SW Florida it's in the low 90's now.
Running about town mine stays about 180 and will go up when stopped of course.
It's very rare my fan comes on (it does work) as the temp rarely see's 200F

Re the heat, put your legs out a little bit from the bike (2-3") and tip your toes down a little.
This helps scoop up air and it's not radiating on your legs nearly as bad...

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You may have air trapped in your cooling system, restricting flow. Can you easily see through the radiator (assuming you can get a good look at it)? Make sure the fins aren’t bent. Also, a failed radiator cap will cause the temperature to climb (and fluid to escape slowly). BTW, how is the coolant level and color?

jawad242

Reaction score
Visit site
Y’all were right… coolant was a nice brown color . Just filled it with Prestone Platinum since it was laying around after a couple flushes of distilled water.
Having trouble burping the coolant. Seems no matter how long I burp for bubbles never end, until the bike gets too hot and a bunch of coolant just gushes out. I guess I should keep burping till 180 or so and stop and wait until the bike cools off again to keep going?
I don’t get why removing the overflow tank was easy to me and now I’m struggling with the easy part.

Cocoloco

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Y’all were right… coolant was a nice brown color . Just filled it with Prestone Platinum since it was laying around after a couple flushes of distilled water.
Having trouble burping the coolant. Seems no matter how long I burp for bubbles never end, until the bike gets too hot and a bunch of coolant just gushes out. I guess I should keep burping till 180 or so and stop and wait until the bike cools off again to keep going?
I don’t get why removing the overflow tank was easy to me and now I’m struggling with the easy part.
It will gush out because its boiling. Those small bubbles are indication it starting to boil.
Unpressurized cooling system lowers your boiling point. Put your radiator cap on and fill your reservoir, let it idle until it reaches normal riding temp. Let it cool down til you can open radiator cap and top up the coolant, repeat the process if necessary

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Y’all were right… coolant was a nice brown color.

Brown. Not good. You have corrosion in your cooling system (someone probably filled it using tap water). The brown color comes from rust that has settled in the radiator. Don't just fill the system - flush the system until you get a flow of clean water.

Just as a precaution, check your oil to see if it looks "milky". Report back if it does.

jawad242

Reaction score
Visit site
Brown. Not good. You have corrosion in your cooling system (someone probably filled it using tap water). The brown color comes from rust that has settled in the radiator. Don't just fill the system - flush the system until you get a flow of clean water.

Just as a precaution, check your oil to see if it looks "milky". Report back if it does.

I filled the bike with distilled water, ran for a couple mins, emptied (twice), then just poured distilled water through the bike with the drain plug out until it was clear before filling with coolant. So far the bike is running cooler on my short 5 min commute, haven't checked if I properly burped the coolant yet though.

Should I redo the flush with a hose in the radiator cap (drain bolt out, and the bike running until about 180 or so, then flush with distilled water a few times)? I also have some Prestone Flush + Cleaner I could use but not sure if that would just do more harm.

There is some weird ticking kind of noise that happens when in gear, gets faster when I get moving, but haven't figured that out yet. Maybe it's another symptom of milky oil?

Might as well drop my last issue in here since everything else is, but the fuel pump is high pitched, (at least compared to my FZ1). It's kind of odd but it starts up. Ive put 1/3 a can of Seafoam into it in the meantime, hopefully it's just gummed up and will clear out with Seafoam.

I'll update with the oil as soon as I get home later today.
Appreciate any help y'all give!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have milky looking oil? If you do, you have a blown head gasket...and the brown tint in the coolant isn't rust...but oil. That may also explain the bubbles in the coolant.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Since the cooling system has been neglected it's important to be sure your radiator cap is operating correctly. The radiator cap is not just a cap to seal the fluid in. It allows expansion to a degree and then allow coolant to be brought back into the engine.
First do as Gary said and check your oil and also ascertain weather you have oil in your coolant.

jawad242

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have milky looking oil? If you do, you have a blown head gasket...and the brown tint in the coolant isn't rust...but oil. That may also explain the bubbles in the coolant.
Did a quick check at work… seems like the oil is still fresh (oil was changed end of 2021 but not ridden until I rode it 400 miles this past weekend).
If this is just rust, is there anything I need to do protect this engine? I plan on putting heavy miles on this and want to take care of it.

Attachments

• 05E1A0FA-9D3D-4F15-9698-FEBC3F987B3F.jpeg
    05E1A0FA-9D3D-4F15-9698-FEBC3F987B3F.jpeg
    1,020.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 2A4BF329-A4E3-4C94-83B2-1CCD077C5D71.jpeg
    2A4BF329-A4E3-4C94-83B2-1CCD077C5D71.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's good news. Flushing the cooling systems is SO much easier than changing a head gasket.

I would disconnect the the upper and lower hoses from the engine and flush the radiator with a garden hose until I had a flow of clean water. You should be able to make an adapter from one of those Prestone kits, or a trip to Lowes.

jawad242

Reaction score
Visit site
That's good news. Flushing the cooling systems is SO much easier than changing a head gasket.

I would disconnect the the upper and lower hoses from the engine and flush the radiator with a garden hose until I had a flow of clean water. You should be able to make an adapter from one of those Prestone kits, or a trip to Lowes.
I can’t just stick the hose in one side and let it gush out of all the other holes? I’m missing something.
Also, when I’m checking oil, I just stick dipstick in as far as it’ll go without twisting right? Cuz I’ve got the bike on the center stand and cold or hot the dip stick oil is way above the fill line… might be why it’s running hot?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For oil checking, you should warm up the bike (CC) and let it sit for a couple minutes.
Then the dip stick NOT SCREWED IN to check level...

For me, I park in a specific spot, kick stand about 1" higher (on a piece of plywood).
Knowing that the oil level IS correct (even on the side stand, cold), can check the dip stick (which will be slightly lower) BUT is correct.

Cocoloco

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I suggest removing the thermostat to flush the entire system without running the bike and wait until the t-stat open.
I recommend Citric acid flushing WORKS GREAT cleaning your cooling system

jawad242

Reaction score
Visit site
For oil checking, you should warm up the bike (CC) and let it sit for a couple minutes.
Then the dip stick NOT SCREWED IN to check level...

For me, I park in a specific spot, kick stand about 1" higher (on a piece of plywood).
Knowing that the oil level IS correct (even on the side stand, cold), can check the dip stick (which will be slightly lower) BUT is correct.
I did that, but on the center stand and the oil looks overfilled, previous owner probably filled and measured while the bike was on the side stand. I'll be draining this out and replacing it and hopefully that will help with the heat as well. Thanks!

jawad242

Reaction score
Visit site
I suggest removing the thermostat to flush the entire system without running the bike and wait until the t-stat open.
I recommend Citric acid flushing WORKS GREAT cleaning your cooling system
I have some distilled vinegar siting at home, I'm between that and the prestone coolant flush that I have laying around. Vinegar is probably better as its less harsh but what do you think?

Would I just fill/idle until about 200 F or so and drain, or can I ride with the mix for a few days/150 ish miles?

Cocoloco

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have some distilled vinegar siting at home, I'm between that and the prestone coolant flush that I have laying around. Vinegar is probably better as its less harsh but what do you think?

Would I just fill/idle until about 200 F or so and drain, or can I ride with the mix for a few days/150 ish miles?
its the same but citric acid is much more effective removing scaling
You'll only need 10% citiric acid then 90%distilled water,
Example
2Liter distilled 200grams of citric acid

Fill the cooling system with the solution then run the engine for 10minutes
Drain the solution
And flush the system with distilled water multiple times to drain the acidic solution

The solution should turn yellow when introduced with heat, now its acidic.

It depends on how long you want to work with your bike, flushing your cooling system

jawad242

Reaction score
Visit site
This past weekend, I've noticed a significant temp reduction, but only until the thermostat opens up, which means the basic clean worked, but only for the passages before the thermostat. I'm not sure how to remove the thermostat but I'm hoping just the vinegar for 10-15 min idling will be sufficient. Also drained a bit of oil, changed the plugs, and adjusted the idle and the bikes running so much better!

Now I've got to do tires, crash protection and tank grips. I'm planning on doing Pilot Power 2cts, Woodcraft domed sliders and techspec tank grips (since I cant find the stompgrip ones for the FZ6), unless y'all have objections. Kind of worried about the sliders from some of the horror stories I've seen, but I just need something for low speed spills.

Thanks all for the help! So excited to put heavy miles on this!