HID high/low beam help

srichterSS

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been working on getting a good set of HID projectors. I just got this kit Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

It came with a relay harness that only supported low beams but the housings have the solenoid flap so I figure itd just be as easy to use the high beam wire to power the flaps.

However as Ive been rigging it up I noticed that my low beam supplies power and the high beam is grounded or whatever. I even plugged in the old H4 bulb and the high beam turns it off while it stays on in lowbeam. I want the high beam to have the power to activate the solenoid.

Its always worked before, so I must be missing something. This is my first post so if you know anything your help would be great.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On your bike the black wire with the the yellow tracer is your high beam.
The black wire with the green tracer is your low beam. If you are using your low beam (Black wire with green tracer) to power the HID that's good as long as that circuit does not turn off when the high beam is activated. Some bikes are modified so that the low beam turns off when high beam is turned on. This is a common modification for bikes that use the right side low beam that is not factory wired. The high beam will be capable of operating the shutter. The black wires are the grounds.
So: Use a low beam wire that stays powered. Use your high beam (normally open) to operate shutter and use headlamp circuit ground wires for the ground.

Last edited:

srichterSS

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks man! I was caught up on the wrong wires. I was using that one that comes off the handle. I had that ground tucked away already so i just spliced into the ground of the turn signals. So now when my brights are on, each time the blinker blinks it turns the hi beams off haha. I don't think itll cause any problems and i think its kinda fun so im going to leave it that way.

anyway thanks and here's a pic...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would use the correct wire. You may think all is okay but then when you put say, some LED directionals on the bike, you'll forget and start scratching your head again. Why not take a few minutes and give it it's proper ground so that you also know current is being carried properly and you don't have to worry about spiking from the shutter solenoid on a circuit not designed for that. :rolleyes: The other thing is why operate the shutters and wear them out.

Circuit design and protocol on wiring can can be important issues to follow and you can end up steering your technology in the wrong direction.

So do you know what voltage that solenoid coil is generating when that coil is is pulled to ground and let go again! :confused:

I know you'll prolly not have your Hi beams on when turning but you might during lane changes.

I would at least give that circuit a chassis ground. :D

Those Pig Spotters look cool! How is your vision with them?

Last edited:

srichterSS

Reaction score
Visit site
Next time I have the panels off I may correct the wiring. Ill try to check that voltage too. The pig spotters are cool but do lack rear view. Here's some more pics

going going.....gone

Reaction score
Visit site
Sort of on the subject :p I wanted to fit HiD but I took my bike for it's mot the other day and was questioning the tester. He was telling me about the possible new mot regulations for next year. All cars/bikes/trucks or whatever has HiD lights fitted need the lights to move with the suspension i.e. Bike dips lights come up, bike lifts lights go down. This is to stop dazzling other road users.

So to my question

Are there any other ways to get a better light output without causing alot of seriously complicated modifications.

Cheers Dan

Ps I'm in the UK ;-)
---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.974626,-0.029966

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
You can try the road star bulbs or whatever they're called.

I would look into that some more. Usually when laws like that are passed, they're not retroactive. Unless it's trivial to do to all cars. Imagine if that law applied to every car ever made, most luxury cars would be illegal to drive. :eek:

So perhaps it won't apply to your bike, not being made in 2012.

going going.....gone

Reaction score
Visit site
From what I was informed if the vehicle was made with the lights it will be ok as all new cars are built to specifications. This won't be the case if I fitted the lights myself which sucks. I will search for the different bulbs.

Dan

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would use the correct wire. You may think all is okay but then when you put say, some LED directionals on the bike, you'll forget and start scratching your head again. Why not take a few minutes and give it it's proper ground so that you also know current is being carried properly and you don't have to worry about spiking from the shutter solenoid on a circuit not designed for that. :rolleyes: The other thing is why operate the shutters and wear them out.

Circuit design and protocol on wiring can can be important issues to follow and you can end up steering your technology in the wrong direction.

So do you know what voltage that solenoid coil is generating when that coil is is pulled to ground and let go again! :confused:

I know you'll prolly not have your Hi beams on when turning but you might during lane changes.

I would at least give that circuit a chassis ground. :D

Those Pig Spotters look cool! How is your vision with them?

Hint: most folks won't have the means to measure that instantaneous voltage spike (maybe 5000volts give or take a K) when that coil collapses.

Don't say Cliff didn't warn you!

Hint look at the 2007 FZ wiring schematic node #66 and tell me what you see. It will save you! :0)