History, tell us about your place.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well i come from the same great place as AussieJules, good ol, Adelaide, Australia.

Adelaide is a big overgrown country town. South Australia was the only state of Australia settled as a free settlement...no convicts here mate! Strong German, Irish, English heritage...early setllers predominantly from thses countries.

Strong religous background, settled as a free religous settlement, which meant many came from oversea's in the early days to spread there faith...we have lots of churches, in fact Adelaide is called the City of Churches.

The climate in Adelaide is very similar to Southern Europe, Hot summers, mild winters.

Some of the World's best wine comes from South Australia.

Postives:
Population is just on a million people, lifestyle is relaxed, even slow at times. great pubs, good food, nice weather, beautiful women...and lots of them!, great beaches, Good fishing, great surfing, awesome bike roads, uncluttered roads, relatively cheap housing...compared to rest of Oz, great fresh food markets, friendly people, lots of parks & National parks, long way away from rest of the World

Negatives:
Can be a bit boring, lots of speed & redlight camera's, bad drivers, , decaying public health system, awful public transport, long way away from rest of the World

Here's the Wikepedia page for Adelaide.

Adelaide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:Flash:

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Ok, I'll play - Memphis, TN

Here's the Wikipedia link to Memphis.

Memphis, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are some interesting tidbits as well.
• Memphis was named by American Heritage Magazine as the Great American Place for 1998.

• Memphis is the Pork Barbecue Capital of the World.

• Memphis' Official City flower is a shrub, the crepe myrtle.

• Memphis' Official City tree is the dogwood.

• Memphis is the home of the first Greyhound and Continental Trailways bus lines.

• Memphis is home to FedEx, the world's largest overnight package delivery company.

• Memphis is home to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, founded in 1962, by entertainer Danny Thomas. St. Jude is one of the world's premier centers for research and treatment of catastrophic diseases in children and has treated more than 16,000 children from the U.S. and 60 foreign countries. Peter Doherty, Ph.D., chairman of the hospital's immunology department was awarded the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1996.

• Memphis is home to one of the busiest cement terminals in the country, which is located at the foot of the Interstate 240 bridge across the Mississippi River. The Lone Star Industries terminal supports the Memphis Home of the Blues Birthplace of Rock'n'Roll neon sign. More than 400,000 tones of cement are shipped each year through the Memphis port.

• The Piggly Wiggly, the world's first self-service grocery store, opened in Memphis in 1916.

• Memphis is the site of the first Welcome Wagon, founded here in 1928.

• Cleo Wrap of Memphis is the world's largest manufacturer of Christmas wrapping paper producing two billion feet of gift-wrap each year.

• Memphis is the hardwood capital of the world.

• Memphis is the largest spot cotton market in the world, with nearly half of the U.S. cotton crop going through Memphis.

• Memphis has one of the top urban park systems in the nation covering 7,000 acres.

• Memphis has the world's largest artesian well water system.

• Memphis is the only five-time winner of the nation's cleanest city award.

• The Memphis Zoo was founded in 1905 when Natch, a black bear mascot for a Memphis baseball team, was kept chained to a tree in Overton Park.

• Some Memphis celebrities include Academy Award-winning actress Kathy Bates, Cybill Shepherd, Michael Jeter, Tim McCarver. Other current or former area residents include: Dixie Carter, Rick Dees, Wink Martindale, Peter Taylor, Morgan Freeman, George Hamilton, Aretha Franklin, Pat Kerr Tigrett, Dana Buchman and Shelby Foote.

• 24 of the 97 stars featured in the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame are from within a 100-mile radius of Memphis.

• The Memphis Musicians Union, founded in 1873, is the oldest musicians' union in the country.

• Already known as the "Father of the Blues," W.C. Handy was told by George Gershwin, "Your work is the grandfather of mine."

• Memphis is the site for some of the more intriguing films of the past few years:
"The Firm" starring Tom Cruise
"The Client" starring Susan Sarandon and Tommy Lee Jones
"The Rainmaker" from director Francis Ford Coppola
"A Family Thing" with James Earl Jones and Robert Duvall
"The People vs. Larry Flynt"
"The Road to Graceland" starring Harvey Keittel
"Forty Shades of Blue"
"Hustle & Flow"
"Walk the Line"
"Elizabethtown"

• Volney, the lion who roared at the beginning of all the old MGM movies, lived at the Memphis Zoo until his death in 1944.

Last edited:

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
born and raised in new jersey, and i think everyone in america knows alll about this trashy and corruptive state.
going to school in rhode island and i definitely put the new england area as being among the most prestigious in the country.
as far as my heritage wise, the portuguese are the masters of the seas and while brazil, well, they have beautiful women.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Urban legend has it that the lions legs are wrong, it is walking with them moving in an un-natural way. Allegedly the sculptor was horrified with his error and comitted suicide.

I took a close look and I can see what's wrong with the lion. It's on steriods!

Fred

Seriously, that is one PUMPED lion.

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
whew this may take a bit...
Sarasota, Florida.
this is where old folks come to die thanks to Bertha Honoré Palmer
and where freaks come to live thanks to John and Mable Ringling.
the ringling mansion is only minutes from my house and is a very beautiful art gallery now.
for being underwater originally we have quite a rich history!
Sarasota, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
also we are near where they say hernando desoto landed a long time ago but they don't know for sure.
we have one of the nicest white sand beaches in the world Siesta key
come visit some time you'll love it!

I live the opposite of madman. This is where the 'SnowBirds' come to roost in the warmer months.

Cape Cod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Technically we are an island although people never refer to it as such. It was man-made after all. Born, raised and intend on dying here. Well we will probably retire to NH, but keep the house here. We have nice beaches but who can get close to them on a weekend. You would have to take a vacation on the Cape in order to appreciate them. Over all the falls are best as far as weather goes.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Ok, I'll play - Memphis, TN

Heres a link to my home town Eastbourne

Eastbourne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and the historic neighbouring town of Hastings

Battle of Hastings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:rockon: The Battle of Hastings is as far back as I can trace my ancestry. Originally a frenchman whose job it was to make holes (pierce) in armor to link them together decided to stay in england after the battle. He received the surname Pierce because that is what he did for a living.

One of these days I plan to visit.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Doomsdaybook

:rockon: The Battle of Hastings is as far back as I can trace my ancestry. Originally a frenchman whose job it was to make holes (pierce) in armor to link them together decided to stay in england after the battle. He received the surname Pierce because that is what he did for a living.

One of these days I plan to visit.

It's great what you can find in the doomsdaybook.
My first recorded ancestor was a French knight who was given land in Yorkshire for his help in the battle of hastings, so he was also originally French.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tomorrow is 8th October, an important day in the history of Alkmaar as in 1573 they withstood a seige from a far superior Spanish force. The Dutch seperatists had previously only lost to the Spanish, so this was seen as the turning point in the eighty years war (or Dutch war of independance).

In commemoration of the heroic people of Alkmaar the city has a big parade, a fun fair, several free concerts and the kids have a day off school to enjoy these festivities. The whole day ends with a big firework display.

I have the day off tomorrow so I'll be enjoying the festivities as well :thumbup:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I live in a town called Edenvale, which is half way between the biggest city and biggest airport in the country.

I can't actually think of anything special about the place.

Edenvale - Gauteng

I was born in Dumfries in the south west of Scotland. It can trace its history back to Roman occupational times.

Dumfries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just thought I would dig this thread up from the past, but then again it is about history :BLAA:

in 1799 a joint British and Russian force fought the French/Batavian army in the battle of Alkmaar.

This was one of the many battles in the Anglo-russian invasion of Holland

The combined force managed to free the Dutch Navy but didn't manage to take Amsterdam (which was one of it's goals).

As I work in Den Helder I pass most of the places where the battles took place on my daily commute.

Don't forget to tell us about your place and it's local history :thumbup:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This pretty much sums up the place I call home :thumbup: Aussie Aussie Aussie :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhY9PBceqYY]A Brief History Of Australia - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDMkVq1jRGU&feature=related"]10 reasons NOT to come to australia - YouTube[/ame]