How does the fz6 coolant system work?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Dow does the fz6 coolant system work?

:welcome: to this great forum!

There should only be one tank. The cooling system is essentially a sealed system and there should be no air in the system or it will not cool the engine properly. The coolant is a 50/50 mix.You can purchase coolant premixed 50/50.

Check that the radiator is full when the engine is totally cold. Seal the radiator cap once the radiator is totally full. Sometimes it's advantageous to tilt the bike side to side a little to allow for any trapped air to escape and rise up. Do this with the radiator cap sealed. The sealed radiator system will only work when the radiator cap is working properly with the proper amount of coolant in the engine/radiator and recovery tank.

The system functions when expanding coolant is allowed to escape past the radiator cap into the recovery tank. The coolant can pass the radiator cap washer while the coolant temp is not hot. As the coolant heats the washer in the radiator cap seals and only allows coolant to pass when there is over pressure in the system or when coolant has returned to ambient temperature. When the system is free of air it allows for maximum cooling. That's what this design does. Your car works the same way unless it's an antique.

As the engine cools, the expanded coolant that went to the recovery tank will be recovered form the recovery tank. Because of this all components in the coolant recovery side of the system must have integrity. This includes the hose to the recovery tank from the radiator as well as the hose inside the recovery tank.

The FZ6 has one of the best cooling systems I've ever seen. I've run the FZ6 hard in the desert at temps over 100 F and the system performed flawlessly.

Since the coolant is 50% water it's a good idea to change the coolant at recommended service intervals even if it looks clean because there will minimally be some water evaporation over time which will reduce the cooling efficiency of the 50/50 mix.

I had a friend who was having overheating issues with his Triumph Daytona. Checked everything and it had new coolant. We noticed a sooty accumulation at the front of the radiator. One of the shops he had the bike in for mechanical issues had spilled motor oil on the radiator the oils and dust had quickly collected on the oils and clogged the air flow through the radiator. I sprayed a good grease cutting soap and then rinsed out the radiator from the back forcing the crud out the way it came in. Worked great after that. So now I reverse wash my radiator every year to help insure it's cooling ability.

A service manual will be handy to have and read for service intervals and trouble shooting.

Also this forum is the greatest source of info on the FZ6 so use the search function for years of member experience and trouble shooting on one of the most reliable bikes ever produced.

Last edited: