How much milage is too much?

Tunker

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh I hope not! My 05 has a little under 75,000 miles and still running strong. It's not the mileage, it's the maintenance.......

I'm a bit worried about needing to replace the main bearings on the engine or having to deal with a rebuild. But it sounds like it can go a LOT longer.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am of the opinion that if you want to hurt 1 of these motors, you either need to try your hardest or neglect it. We have heard from LOTS of FZ6 others worldwide and I cannot remember a single one that was well maintained and just mysteriously failed. Not 1.

Here is a secret.... the FZ6 DOES have a weak spot. It's the engine cut-off switch. Symptoms can be engine cut-out, lack of top-end power and more. It doesn't happen a lot, but in my opinion it is the most common problem we see here.

The fixes are to disassemble and clean the switch, or just use a wire to short it in the closed position. I did the first option (proactively, didn't want to ever deal with it) and while it was a little detailed, it was easy to understand and to do. Option 2 is even easier.

Chris09fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 09 with about 30k miles for $2900 last year in the early spring. Sounds like a decent enough deal to me. I put almost 6k miles on it my first season. I live in Vermont so roughly 6 months of decent weather to ride. And I don't ride if i know its going to rain. Mine runs like a top, never had any engine issue and I ride mine like I stole it lmao. But I do routine oil changes, changed the coolant, changed the spark plugs, tb sync, use top tier gas, check the air filter every now and then. I've also done the brake caliper seals, fork seals/oil, clean and lube the chain often. Not that those things have anything to do with the engine but it's important to maintain everything you can.

Only thing I haven't done that I probably should do is valve clearance check/adjustment but people seem to be pretty divided on whether or not it's really necessary. This can be expensive at a shop so check if it's been done and if not, are you willing to pay to have it done or are you able to do it yourself or can you live without having it done at all lol.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To CHECK the valve clearance isn't really bad To adjust, a bit more, careful work(cam(s) have to come out)..

I don't think I trust any shops to ACTUALLY do the job... At 26,600 miles, I had 2 exhaust valves .001" too tight. I was already there, had shims, and adjusted...

The engine, as stated, is pretty much bullet proof... By far my fav bike, EVER...

Paul Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
I am of the opinion that if you want to hurt 1 of these motors, you either need to try your hardest or neglect it. We have heard from LOTS of FZ6 others worldwide and I cannot remember a single one that was well maintained and just mysteriously failed. Not 1.

Here is a secret.... the FZ6 DOES have a weak spot. It's the engine cut-off switch. Symptoms can be engine cut-out, lack of top-end power and more. It doesn't happen a lot, but in my opinion it is the most common problem we see here.

The fixes are to disassemble and clean the switch, or just use a wire to short it in the closed position. I did the first option (proactively, didn't want to ever deal with it) and while it was a little detailed, it was easy to understand and to do. Option 2 is even easier.
Yep, my cut off switch failed last year, so here's another +1