How old were you when you first rode pillion?

How old were you when you first road pillion

• 4-5

Votes: 40 15.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 21 8.0%
  • 6-7

Votes: 15 5.7%
  • 7-8

Votes: 20 7.6%
  • 8-9

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • 9-10

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • 10-11

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • 11-12

Votes: 28 10.6%
  • Adult

Votes: 45 17.1%
  • Never

Votes: 56 21.3%

• Total voters

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This poll arose after reading the thread asking what age is it ok to take your children on the back of the bike.

I was 7 when my Dad took me on the back of a bike. That was in 1977.
Two things I still remember:
Dad saying "If we get stopped say your 11".
The amazing feeling of wind on my face.

Cheers
Nelly
[edit] I will try and edit the poll to include the "Never" option.

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got on the back at 11 but I also got my Honda CT70 Trail shortly after and vowed to never ride "Nuts to Butt" again. ;)

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nelly: "if we get stopped say you're 11" that's great!

My Dad never had a street bike when I was a kid (before and after, but not during :(), but when he washed his dirtbike, he'd take us with him up and down the street to dry it off. We were on the tank, so we were probably small. I'd say 4 or 5?

He also let me sit on his lap and steer the car while we were driving at about that age.

There were no helmet or seatbelt laws in Cali back then, so we did all this as "free spirits"...

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have been taking my eldest son on my bike since he was 10....big enough to hold on properly, old enough to understand the danger....with decent gear on him too...just in case the worst happens!

:thumbup:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I was actually 2 or 3. Yup my father was a nut.. circa 1967. He used to rope me to his torso for greater fear that I would fall off. I used to love riding pillion w Dad. He's gone 8 years now but will remember those days forever

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I was about 7 or 8 when I rode on my grandpas old Goldwing 1500 for the first time. Unfortunately he sold it soon after my first ride due to his poor health. I'll never forget that ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
why is "never" not an option?
my dad has never had a bike, so I havent had an opportunity to be taken for a ride, it took me showing up one day with a 1995 YZF600R to even get close to a motorcycle, let alone to get my parents to accept motorcycles as a form of transportation.
that day didnt end well btw....idk how I got away with showing up at home twice with a motorcycle....mom still hates it lol

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've only ridden on the back of my own bike, and I was still driving. It's a good way to stretch your shoulders out on long rides.

nsaP

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm boringly under "never". Started riding at 20 when dad got back into it and can't remember ever riding on the back.

Given some bro friends a few rides tho, they were sure to leave a minimum 6 inch buffer zone between us. Makes for difficult riding.

I gave a friend a ride home on a ninja250 that only has a strap across the tiny seat to hang on to, he didn't seem to enjoy it

That stigma doesn't exist some other places...

JdmHW.jpg

Last edited:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
My dad rode me around the parking lot of the apt. complex way before i was 4 even:rockon:. I started riding on the back probably at the age of 3 just around town and the neighborhood. thinking about it now its kinda crazy having a kid that young on a bike... a lot sleepier of a place back then though...

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I was probably 4 or 5, as I remember being on in front, and my sister (two years older) was on back.
Dad would take us out on his Norton 750 onto the not yet open but beautifully paved interstate 44. We had it all to ourselves. Well, until a police officer would come up and shoo us away.
Dad could talk himself out of getting a ticket for it by using the excuse of "the kids wanting to go for a ride" and "this being a safe place." Well, until one day when the same officer caught us. :rolleyes:
Fond memories.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
why is "never" not an option?
my dad has never had a bike, so I havent had an opportunity to be taken for a ride, it took me showing up one day with a 1995 YZF600R to even get close to a motorcycle, let alone to get my parents to accept motorcycles as a form of transportation.
that day didnt end well btw....idk how I got away with showing up at home twice with a motorcycle....mom still hates it lol
Now an option

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm boringly under "never". Started riding at 20 when dad got back into it and can't remember ever riding on the back.

Given some bro friends a few rides tho, they were sure to leave a minimum 6 inch buffer zone between us. Makes for difficult riding.

I gave a friend a ride home on a ninja250 that only has a strap across the tiny seat to hang on to, he didn't seem to enjoy it

That stigma doesn't exist some other places...

JdmHW.jpg
My 2 Cents, Personally I prefer the pillion as close as possible. When they sit right back the balance of the bike go's to 5hite. I also prefer an inexperienced pillion to hold on to me. That way I know where they are.
I don't have any patience for people that are a bit anxious by being close to a person of the same sex.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My 2 Cents, Personally I prefer the pillion as close as possible. When they sit right back the balance of the bike go's to 5hite.

Concur - and it's a great disinhibitor for the ladies, as they've already had their legs around you! Plus the adrenaline of being on the bike, powerless, with the guy in front, enjoying the ride. (worked for me!)

I also prefer an inexperienced pillion to hold on to me. That way I know where they are.

Absolutely - AND, they can't counter-lean when they hold on to you. (or worse still, counter-lean and then remember to lean, halfway around the corner!)

I don't have any patience for people that are a bit anxious by being close to a person of the same sex.

Same - but if he starts breathing heavy and rubbing up against me, we're gonna stop and have words!

LOL!

To be fair, I've only had chicks, wife, my son and male friends on the back - not some random guy. (I did pick up a couple of female hitch-hikers in my pre-married life though!)

Cheers,
Rick

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
... it took me showing up one day with a 1995 YZF600R to even get close to a motorcycle, let alone to get my parents to accept motorcycles as a form of transportation.

the same here, except, my dad had a bike when he was growing up, i have always found the idea nice until one day i told my family i was getting a license, they told me i wasn't, i told them I'm 22 and i will:spank:

anywhoo, the only time i rode 2up on the back was on a 4wheeler, so i guess never