how to change coolant?

Vikingj

Minnesota Viking Fan
Reaction score
Visit site
Go to Ron Ayers web site. They have the factory microfiche online so you can get any part number and price right there.:D

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious why normal tap water can't be used just for the flushing part of the job? I'd be removing it before putting the actual coolant mixture in anyways.

Thoughts>?

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious why normal tap water can't be used just for the flushing part of the job? I'd be removing it before putting the actual coolant mixture in anyways.

Thoughts>?

It really depends on the water in your region, I know Kingston water is pretty limestone'y, here in waterloo where I am at the moment the water is super hard, you don't want water with lots of minerals and improperly balanced on a Ph scale going through your system, since we do have an aluminum block.

Would you be okay using tap water for only a flush? yeah probably, but your definitely going to want to use distilled when you do your mix with whatever coolant you buy. Distilled is reasonably inexpensive and I like when im done with everything I now have an extra jug to fill up with the old coolant to take to a hazardous waste depot.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone confirm the copper coolant drain plug washer part number is 90430-06014-00 ?

I think it's #9 here and from other info on the web, but that drawing looks a bit off. Makes it look like a mounting bolt.

WATER PUMP

Last edited:

ds37601

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, that's the copper washer for the drain bolt. I ordered one last fall when I changed my coolant, and I wasn't sure either until I got it. It's hard to tell from the drawing.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can usually re-use the old copper washer unless its not smooth anymore.

Also, (I haven't done it yet) but after someone stripped that hole out, a shortcut posted was to just remove the main, lower hose at the water pump and let her drain.

A quick spritz with the hose into the pump assembly should flush out any debris.

Don't forget the overflow tank...:thumbup:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I also changed the coolant today. I used tap water to flush, then added coolant and distilled water. I hope it won't do any harm.

I haven't changed the old radiator fluid for almost 4 years and it was clear blue like sky, i was very suprised. The new fluid was red Castrol brand, i hope colour change is ok.

After putting all the coolant to radiator, mixed it with distilled water and i put the remaining water to overflow bottle. So overflow bottle is full with just water now. But i think, water pump system will mix them inside . :rolleyes:

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Just reading through the owners manual and found this..

"9. After the coolant is completely drained, thoroughly flush the cooling system with clean tap water."

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everybody,

How much coolant does your FZ6 take?

Did the coolant change yesterday on my recently purchased '06 and according to the manual the radiator+reservoar should take 2.2 litres (2.3 quarts US) - but mine only took 1.8 litres (1.9 quarts US).

I flushed the system 3 times before refilling and checked the level after a 20 minute ride after which I left the bike to idle and go through 2 cycles of starting the radiator fan, and it didn't need refilling even though according to the manual I haven't put enough coolant.

Englishing is not my 1st language, so apoligies for the grammar and whatnot.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You should be good if you checked the level after it cooled down.

The amount posted may be for a "dry" engine, ie a new engine with no water hidden in any orifices, water/oil cooler, etc.

I know it doesn't take much...

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You should be good if you checked the level after it cooled down.

The amount posted may be for a "dry" engine, ie a new engine with no water hidden in any orifices, water/oil cooler, etc.

I know it doesn't take much...
I guess worst case scenario I have 0.4 litres ~ 0.42 quarts US of distilled water mixed with Motul's Motocool antifreeze in my system which considering it rarely gets bellow freezing here where I live should be ok.

Thanks for your reply!