How to drill out factory baffels

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
When i did mine i used the biggest 1/2"drive drill,longest 3/8" drill bit 12" long i have at work for a pilot hole then i used the longest 7/8" drill bit i have at work which is 12" long and started to hog it out and was quite happy with the outcome, its no aftermarket exhaust but it does give it a better tone IMO good luck with this let us know if you have any questions.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
come on now Steve, everyone did this at first, well at least till i saved up for the SCORPION CF. What I did was bought the longest drill bit (i am not sure how long it was) measure on the outside the length i think it was a 12' drill bit and 3/4 or 7/8 as far as the width. When you start to drill when you feel it hitting something push until it cuts the tin on the inside. If you want with a flashlight look inside to get the idea. When finished YOU WILL HEAR A DIFFERENCE. When you do it let me know how everything worked out. Many people did this mod.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have not done the mod, I have heard the results though. I don't think that it sounds crap.

Check out Aussiejules posts, he did a comprehensive how to...

Nelly

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It must just be me because I think this sounds cheap and tinny.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rclSypU5rw8"]YouTube - 2005 fz6 stock exhaust drilled.[/ame]

Steve

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cheap it is cant get more cheap, sound crap, well its no scorpian or two brother, but imo it is louder and it is better, if only marginal.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldnt say it sounds tinny or cheap any improvement is good coz i say a loud bike is a safe bike , but having said that can i suggest saving up for a set of Microns , i put then on mine and i love the deep deep sound they produce......:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldnt say it sounds tinny or cheap any improvement is good coz i say a loud bike is a safe bike , but having said that can i suggest saving up for a set of Microns , i put then on mine and i love the deep deep sound they produce......:thumbup:

Had mine done shortly after buying the bike, just to get a bit more noise, and it works fine....Jules now has my old (modded) pipes on his bike, and while it doesnt have the bark of some after-market pipes, it is well worth doing.

You have to remember the OEM collector boz is like a car exhaust, so you will never get the sound of a set of straight through sport pipes....that unfortuneatly comes at the price of buying a new set of end cans...then the bike's sound changes dramatically.

Here is the link to what Nelly is talikng about....

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/5847-inside-2.html

:thumbup:

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
Brian, just go for it. No, it won't make it sound like a 2 Bros or a Leo, but it will give you a little more sound and won't set you back $700+. Won't piss off your neighbors, either, at 2:00AM. Sounds a little better than completely stock, anyway.

I used a 12" 7/8" bit on mine, took about 30 seconds for both pipes. Added 12 horsepower, 16 mpg, and makes the ladies swoon. I wish.

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I would say do not do it, save up for some aftermarket pipes. I did it to my 061krr and regret it. I have since put a slip on scorpion and now want the stock exhaust back on. I like the silent stealth sound.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Please do not drill them out. Save up and get real exhaust. Drilling them out makes it sound like crap. After i bought my scorpions i drilled out the stock muffler just to see what the fuss was all about....it was horrible. Maybe my degree in music has trained my ears to hear certain tones, i dont know, but what i do know is it was the worst sounding exhaust ever.

Sorry, got carried away.....its your bike do what ever you want:thumbup: If i had listened to half the people i ride with i would be riding a harley right now and following the rest of the sheeple.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
Brian, just go for it. No, it won't make it sound like a 2 Bros or a Leo, but it will give you a little more sound and won't set you back $700+. Won't piss off your neighbors, either, at 2:00AM. Sounds a little better than completely stock, anyway.

I used a 12\" 7/8\" bit on mine, took about 30 seconds for both pipes. Added 12 horsepower, 16 mpg, and makes the ladies swoon. I wish.

Did you remove your muffler, or leave it on the bike? I was worried about the metal shavings from the baffles getting in places it should not be. Thoughts?

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Please do not drill them out. Save up and get real exhaust. Drilling them out makes it sound like crap. After i bought my scorpions i drilled out the stock muffler just to see what the fuss was all about....it was horrible. Maybe my degree in music has trained my ears to hear certain tones, i dont know, but what i do know is it was the worst sounding exhaust ever.

Sorry, got carried away.....its your bike do what ever you want:thumbup: If i had listened to half the people i ride with i would be riding a harley right now and following the rest of the sheeple.

Hey if you still have it around you want to loan the OEM can to me, I wouldn't mind adjusting them to see what kind of sound I could get without destroying mine.

Tony Basson

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Brian
I assume by now you have the instructions, but may be hesitant IRO the sound, as was I. I started with 14mm (1/2") followed by a 20mm (7/8"), which required some force/sharpening of the masonry bits, but dont be concerned.
I've heard lots of the expensive aftermarket cans and I think this mod. sounds really good (similar to Honda 600R and Triumph Daytona 675)

haylo

Reaction score
Visit site
I drilled mine last night, used a 12" 18MM masonary drill bit, that cost 40GBP (which is useless now), had to use ALOT of force to get it puncture through, but, hey, got there in the end, and I like what I hear. It's not a substitute for getting after-market exhausts, think of it as a 'fix' until you get some after-markets.

If you're doing it be prepared to sharpen the bit, or use alot of force trying to puncture the metal. Have a torch on hand to keep track of how far you're getting and if you're making progress.

Last edited:

joshctr

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I just bought a 05 fz6, I was looking to drill the baffles out. What are you drilling? I stuck a 1/2'' rod in the exhaust and about half way threw I had a wall and then stuck it the rest of the way to the back of the muffler. I did not feel anything solid to drill out. The only think solid I hit was the back of the case. What am I missing? Is my muffler different?