How to drill out factory baffels

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Ok I just bought a 05 fz6, I was looking to drill the baffles out. What are you drilling? I stuck a 1/2'' rod in the exhaust and about half way threw I had a wall and then stuck it the rest of the way to the back of the muffler. I did not feel anything solid to drill out. The only think solid I hit was the back of the case. What am I missing? Is my muffler different?

a little writeup here : http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/29781-stock-muffler-drilling-vs-performance-2.html

joshctr

Reaction score
Visit site

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Thanks man, I am at the conclusion that mine is either all ready drilled out or different than yours. In your pic you can see a wall that you drilled out. Mine does not have this, I can stick a 1/2 piece of rebar all the way to the back of the muffler.

The photo is a little bit illusion. The wall that you see is actually deep insude the muffler. The iron bar on photo 5 goes all the way in the muffler before it touches the wall :)

I don't know how how far you went in your muffler. (I don't know how tall 1/2 piece of rebar is lol)

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
I am not sold on the idea yet, but as I was searching I came across this video of a guy who had the baffles removed by an exhaust professional and it sounds pretty good I think.

anyone have experience with this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHTNmNnlMkw]FZ6 Exhaust de-baffle - YouTube[/ame]

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
nope i just did the normally drill out with a 20mm tank cutter down each pipe. its no race exhaust but adds a little rasp when giving it the beans. Better than nothing, i live in a quiet avenue so its fine for what im alloud o_O but i would like louder to be hurd on the road for safety reasons

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
Wait, people here actually believe the "loud pipes save lives" bit? If you want something to get a driver's attention, try a louder horn, not pipes. The horn is actually projecting the noise in the correct direction.
Loud Pipes Save Lives or The Madness Behind the Myth

I don't hear a "tinny" sound from the drilled exhaust. I'll probably end up removing the baffles, though.

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
How hard is it to remove the baffles? Does it need welding or cutting torch?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I did it to mine before I made my current exhaust and yes it's pretty difficult because of the way it's made and welded together, a torch will just make a mess of it I used cut off wheels on a die grinder which is probably the easiest way to get in but every baffle is also welded in at least 4 spots, the whole muffler is double lined is just a pita. But if you patient it will pay off

yamahog

Reaction score
Visit site
i went ahead and drilled mine out...figured i would be getting new cans eventually anyway. Used a 7/8 hole saw with a 12 inch extension and a 14.4 volt cordless drill, took 5 minutes.

Its louder than stock, but not much... not tinny but it does have an odd tone. Still, at least it doesnt sound like an rc car running down the road now.

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
for those of you that drilled it out with the exhaust still on the bike, did you do anything to contain the shavings?

if you used a whole saw, you would have small round disks left over after the drilling and were you able to get them out, or are they laying in the bottom of the exhaust?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If you use a drill bit you can put some grease on the bit and most of the shavings will stick to the bit, most of what's left will eventually blow out. If there is any shavings left behind its not going to hurt a thing. If you use a hole saw and not a spade hole saw most of the time the slug stays in the bit

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Metal shavings in the exhaust shouldn't hurt one bit. I doubt they could even fall back in past the cat, and would more than likely get blown back out. I personally think the drilled out stockers do sound a bit too tiny to me. Heck, I think the scorpions have too much rattle and tiny sound to them! Only pipes I have heard that I truely like are the Leos with the baffles in.

To each their own though, the bike is yours, make it to how YOU like it, not how others like it :).

fz6ns2rick

Reaction score
Visit site
Drilled mine out last week, 22.5mm bit, and i gotta say its much better so much so i have actually decided to leave off buying the upgrade to something that breaks my wallets heart.
took it easy going in with a couple of small size masonary bits just to test it out but then used a special routing bit we use at work on the cnc machines and flew through to 22.5mm. the sound has gotten louder but only a few, its the tone thats made the difference to me, purrs so it does. love it.

would recommend definitely being sure before going this route though as even a stock replacement will seem expensive when your sat there thinking "well if i hadnt done it i wouldnt be paying for an exact replacement".

its gone well for me, take it easy and use your phone or ipod to record the sound before and after each drill session like i did. listen back to it a few times before going again. i reckon it helped, cause you cant put it back once its gone without it being a whole heap of trouble.

just my thoughts though..:D

lewylewy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys.

Just got my first fz.

looking to drill out these baffles. thinking about using a hole saw.

also...anyone removed the cat before? pros n coons would be nice.

cheers.