How to lube your clutch cable (a proper job with pictures)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Screw in clutch lever adjuster, leaving the cable and adjuster aligned

26feb46d.jpg

Lift up tank and you can see the secondary clutch leaver adjuster down on the left side (partially hidden by air box).
265351d5.jpg

Don’t waste ten minutes trying to adjust it from here.
Unscrew the air box and get better access.

ccb783bc.jpg

bc185172.jpg

Remove air box and tape up throttle bodies.
14ab8751.jpg

Better access
6e595b63.jpg

cont.....

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Using 2 X 10mm spanners tighten down the adjuster to give plenty of clutch lever slack.
8603e578.jpg

1e98b822.jpg

9a99cbf1.jpg

Now lube clutch lever end. Run the cable up and down the housing to ensure good oil coverage. The more cable slack you have the better the coverage.
bf157a60.jpg

Remove nipple from the right side clutch casing by gently bending retainer
892f95bc.jpg

5058a407.jpg

Unscrew secondary clutch adjuster expose cable. This is where the cable is quite dry
439868f4.jpg

6dfdfb7e.jpg

Tighten secondary adjuster and pull right side clutch nipple back through it’s thingy. Don’t forget to bend back the retainer.
5058a407.jpg

cont

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job Neil, well done mate :thumbup:

:rockon:
Cheers mate,
I am a bit chuffed actually. I did the clutch cable, the throttle cables, cleaned the air filter and adjusted my shock in three and a half hours. I had a great time and best of all I am not left with any spare bits and Norman still rides like a devil.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome Post! I printed it all out and now have it in my FZ6 Maintenance binder I've made up in my garage!!
Coming from you mate that is an accolade. I have never professed to being particularly technical or gifted with the spanner. Learn as you go that my motto.

Cheers mate.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just use a cable luber really easy to use and quick no tank and airbox removal. Takes two minutes.

DSC04773-1.JPG
Thats a neat gadget,
The tank removal was necessary in order to properly adjust the clutch cable. I had run out of free play at the bar end. It is possible to lube the entire cable length without removing the tank etc.

Nelly

buzzbomb

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a neat gadget,
The tank removal was necessary in order to properly adjust the clutch cable. I had run out of free play at the bar end. It is possible to lube the entire cable length without removing the tank etc.

Nelly

Thanks for the great thread Nelly! I'm at the same point where I need to attack the second adjuster under the tank, as I'm nearly out of adjustment at the handlebar. One question tho, how hard is it to get the air box off? Do you need to remove all the hoses or can you just tilt the airbox towards the back of the bike? Are those clamps under the airbox a hassle to loosen and tighten up?

BB