How to Replace Swingarm/Lube Pivot Bolt

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm not sure if someone has already made a how-to thread for this, but as I was upgrading my swingarm to one from a 2008 I decided to snap some pictures and write up a thread on it in case someone is unsure of anything.

1. The first thing to do is put the bike up on the centerstand. It is fortunate our bikes come with one as this is really the only way to do this unless you have a motorcycle lift.

2. Next loosen the axle nut. If you have the actual wrench the right size feel free to use it, I use my two wrenches from the toolkit.

3. Loosen the chain adjustment nuts (when I did this I discovered that I was actually missing the locknut on my right side), slip the rear axle out, drop the wheel down, and move it out of the way. You can hang the rear caliper and chain over the swingarm for now.

0619111122.jpg

4. Remove the rear hugger. There are four 10mm bolts and one pushpin up front. To remove the pushpin, push slightly in the middle of it and the center will push down. Then you can pull the whole thing out of the hole.

0619111126.jpg

5. Remove both the left and right relay covers/side pods. There is a 4mm Allen bolt under the seat and then they push in sideways into rubber grommits. Having these off will make for easy access to the exhaust and shock bolts.

6. We will need to remove the mid/cat pipe. My exhaust is somewhat unique so it won't be exactly the same, but it uses the stock cat pipe so you can see what is being removed.

Remove the clamp where the slip-on portion meets the cat pipe (it is a T-bolt clamp in my picture, the stock clamp is different but in the same location.). In a stock setup there will also be a bolt going through the small tab on the frame and threading into the bracket on the cat pipe.

0619111133.jpg

On the lower side of the cat pipe there is another clamp. Loosen this bolt and you should be able to remove the cat pipe (once you have loosened the exhaust mounts under the seat).

0619111133a.jpg

With the cat pipe removed you gain a fair amount of space under the bike, but more importantly the only thing left in the way of the swingarm is the shock.

0619111138.jpg

7. Now we will move onto the rear shock. It has to come all the way out to get the swingarm out, so it is a good opportunity to lube the pivot points as well. Here you can see the lower mount, there is a nut and bolt going through a metal bushing/race and bolting into the swingarm. Remove the nut and bolt and you can slide the race to the right and out of the swingarm.

0619111138a.jpg

The shock also mounts via a nut and bolt at the top. Fortunately Yamaha thought to make the right side have a seat for the nut so you don't have to attempt to get in there with a wrench to hold it from the right as you unscrew the bolt from the left. This view is through the left of the subframe, you may have to remove your underseat storage area to get a straight shot at it.

0619111142.jpg

8. Head over to the right side of the bike and remove the swingarm pivot nut. It is a 27mm nut, though a 1 1/16" will also work in a pinch. Some people have reported problems finding a local place that stocks a 6 point 27mm socket; my local Sears only has a 12 point chrome socket, but they have impact sockets, which are 6 point, in 27mm.

0619111139.jpg

After you take the nut and washer off, tap the bolt through to the left side. I used my rear axle along with a rubber mallet to softly tap it to start; when the bolt got flush with the frame I switched to a Philips head screwdriver that was just big enough to sit in the pivot bolt's center hole without going into it.

This is what mine looked like after 19k miles.

0619111149.jpg

It was dry and nasty, but the more important part is actually inside the swingarm. The inside of the swingarm has two sets of roller bearings, one on the left edge, one on the right. Then there is a race which rides on the bearings. It is a long metal tube that sits inside the swingarm. Finally is the nasty pivot bolt we just removed.

Once you have the pivot bolt out the swingarm is free to (and probably will) fall on the floor. With the swingarm out you can pop the sealing caps off either end to remove the race from inside the swingarm. This is what it looks like; you can see where it rides on the roller bearings at the outer edges.

0619111151.jpg

Lube up the bearings and the race (I used Belray waterproof grease) and put it back in your swingarm (or into your new one if you are upgrading).

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
This is what your bike should look like at this point.

0619111158.jpg

Now that your swingarm is nice and lubed up we are ready to reinstall it.

9. Make sure the end caps are back on the swingarm after lubing, then put the swingarm in place so you can put the pivot bolt back in from the left side. Lube up the bolt (not the threads) and push it through to the other side. Put the washer and nut on and tighten.

Now the swingarm is back on, but there are still the small matters of the shock and the exhaust.

0619111203.jpg

10. Since we took the shock out last we will be putting it back in first. I found it easier to put the bottom in then wiggle the top into place. Remember you have to have the race out of the bottom (don't forget to grease it), place the bottom of the shock in the swingarm, then insert the race through the swingarm into the shock. Then you can put the nut and bolt in through the race.

The top bolt is simple, just make sure the nut is in the groove Yamaha provided for us. It will hold the nut for you as you tighten the bolt.

0619111226.jpg

11. Reinstall the cat/mid-pipe, making sure all the clamps are tight so you don't have an exhaust leak. After the mid-pipe is fastened make sure to put the muffler back into place.

0619111233.jpg

12. Reinstall the hugger. When browsing ebay I found that sellers had specific S1 and S2 huggers, so I was worried that my 2004 one wouldn't fit on my new 2008 swingarm. However, it fit perfectly, with all four bolt holes and the pushpin lining up just like the did on my old one.

13. It is finally time to put the wheel back on. This is the biggest pain in the whole procedure. Get the wheel in the swingarm, place the chain over the sprocket, and get the caliper on the rotor and the block on the swingarm simultaneously. If you don't get it just right the wheel will hang up on the spacer and not line up correctly. Just take your time and eventually the stars will align.

Once it is lined up, put some grease on your rear axle and slide it through the swingarm, wheel, and caliper. Adjust the chain tension, and tighten your axle. If you upgraded to the later style swingarm you now only need one size wrench in your toolkit. Weight reduction!

0619111306.jpg

And that is it! Clean and lube your chain and go out for a ride!

The whole procedure took me about two hours to do while taking pictures and I took a phone call/cream soda break, so it may seem a little daunting but it is really not bad at all.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
What an excellent write up!!!

Could the mods turn this into a sticky please?

I've taken the swingarm off for other reasons, but i'll double on that you need to relube, that swingarm bolt came out very dry for me too.

Oh, and i LOVE my fazer's sidestand :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it possible to do this without removing the "CAT" pipe?
Mine is pretty much welded together with all the salt that they trow down on the roads here.

Nelly

PS REP given

Last edited:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
If you are just lubing the pivot bolt you might be able to get away without removing the cat, but it will be pretty tricky. As long as you can get it angled enough to pull that bearing shaft out you should be good. You might have to move the coolant reservoir out of the way to get enough room to tip the swingarm to the side and get the end cap off.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you are just lubing the pivot bolt you might be able to get away without removing the cat, but it will be pretty tricky. As long as you can get it angled enough to pull that bearing shaft out you should be good. You might have to move the coolant reservoir out of the way to get enough room to tip the swingarm to the side and get the end cap off.
I will give it a go, I will probably do it in Sept/Oct.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will give it a go, I will probably do it in Sept/Oct.

Nelly

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
This would also be the ideal oportunity to do the chain and sprockets so you don't have to split/rivet the oem chain!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the chain have to be cut or removed? According to the pictures, it does not.

I don't think it does, Kenny. I've pulled the swingarm without removing the chain.

If the S/A is off, you can leave the chain together and remove it. I do believe you will want the front nut loose before doing anything else if the goal is chain & sprocekt swap. But unless the NEW chain is an exact fit, it doesnt matter. You'll have to cut links and assemble the new chain.

You might be more specific of your plans...
Bottom line; cut the chain unless you're taking the S/A off too.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You might be more specific of your plans...
Bottom line; cut the chain unless you're taking the S/A off too.

I'm replacing the swingarm because my dampers has a leak. I picked up a used damper already attached that came with a swingarm. My rear tires finally need replacement so this will be a good time to conduct the swap, considering I won't be riding my bike for a few weeks because of my upcoming ACL Surgery.

I'm having a friend conduct the swap for me, obviously this job is way above my abilities.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the chain have to be cut or removed? According to the pictures, it does not.

THIS ^^ was UNCLEAR to me if your plan was to remove the S/A or the CHAIN!

To remove the S/A - Joe is Correct!
I don't think it does, Kenny. I've pulled the swingarm without removing the chain.
:thumbup::thumbup:

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
I disassembled rear shock, exhust and cat. pipe, rear wheel, hugger and swingarm pivot axle/nut but swingarm is not dropped to floor, and it wasn't came away. did I jumped a step? is there anything more to disassemble?

swingarm looks like to trapped in chassis. my bike is 2005 fz6s

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I disassembled rear shock, exhust and cat. pipe, rear wheel, hugger and swingarm pivot boltaxle / nut but swingarm is not dropped to floor, and it wasn't came away. did I jumped a step? is there anything more to disassemble?

swingarm looks like to trapped in chassis. my bike is 2005 fz6s

If the S/A pivot bolt and everything else is clear it may need some gentle persuasion like tapping with block of soft wood. Example; put the rear axle in and tap rearwards. Be gentle though!
0619111149.jpg

If it doesn't start to slide, loosening item 14 may help. Anything to allow the frame to expand (make it wider). If it won't come, don't get crazy forcing it! Loosing parts until it drops!
frame.gif