How to replace your oem flasher relay

dgafjoey

Reaction score
Visit site
Just purchased a flasher relay and it works great, much better and cheaper than having to individualy wire in a resistor to each signal light, I couldnt find any directions so I figured i'd help someone else out if they were electronically retarded like I am.

Step 1, Remove left fairing near clutch,

Step 2, Locate the OEM flasher relay.(the little black box with a rubber hanging piece)
relay2.jpg

Step 3, Unplug it and simply plug in the new one, use the old rubber piece to mount the new one to the same spot like so
relay.jpg

Step 4, Test everything and if it all went well your signals should flash normally now, hope this helped at least one person!

I picked mine up at cyclegear down the street but you can also get one here for the same price. Welcome to CustomLED.com - the home of cutting edge motorcycle LED products.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was able to reach down and swap out the relay with out taking off any plastic. That was after I found out where the relay was because I saw the location called out in different areas with different years. Mine is a 2006.
I actually kept the original relay tied off in the same area so that if the new one failed I could just reach down and switch the plug over.

Wait for our next SoCal ride and join up with us.

Thanks for this post!

Last edited:

bigolkep

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a flasher relay from customLED.com and it worked perfect! talk about simple. The part arrived in the mail very fast and it only took me about 10 mins to put it in thanks to this forum! THANK YOU GUYS VERY MUCH!!! Whenever I have a question about my FZ6 I turn to this site! I appreciate everything you guys post! Maybe someday I will be able to help you guys with some kind of issue youre having with your FAZER

05 FZ6 w/ painted wind screen, flush mount front LED blinkers, fender eliminator kit

quim

Reaction score
Visit site
thx initially i thought that the relay for turning signal was under the seat left faring but appareently i was wrong. thx alot :rockon:

dgafjoey

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea me too thats why I made this because the stupid manual said it was under my seat and after looking for 15mins I decided to look else where :eek:
and yes this will work for both signals or you can go the other route of crimping the single relays into each signal but this way is cheaper and so much more simple.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got four load resistors on my bike and what with it being a nekid,I cant hide them out of sight,which looks toss.I think I'm going to get one of these units :thumbup: I'll just have to locate the indicator relay on mine.

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
I've got four load resistors on my bike and what with it being a nekid,I cant hide them out of sight,which looks toss.I think I'm going to get one of these units :thumbup: I'll just have to locate the indicator relay on mine.

I bought the customLED.com, there is a tab on the top which allowed me to mount the tab under the rubber strap that holds another part down on top of the battery.

daletucker

Reaction score
Visit site
dude i know this has been up for a while but god thank you!!!! the repair manual i got says the relay is under the right side plastics by the seat. WRONG!!! you got it right bro!! i just installed the new relay thingy and i now have my sequential rear tail light and led front lights and incandescent additional rear turn lights. God i love that little flash rate controller!!!

Bf1104

Reaction score
Visit site
i know this is a really old tread, but does anyone know a uk supplier of these things?

thanks

Macca FZ6N

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, thought this might be a good place to ask, I have an FZ6N and the flasher relay is in a different spot from the FZ6 it seems. Its in the rear left side panel and the rubber band that holds the flasher is a lot different. I just wanted to ask if anyone had used one of these:

LED Flasher Relay Yamaha R6, R6s, R1, FZ6R, FZ1, FZ8 | eBay

It looks like it will fit directly where the OEM one is but it says it wont work with hazard lights but then it says in the title for FZ6 so.....

What do you guys think, will it work? Otherwise does anyone else know of one that fits in the OEM position with the rubber band on the FZ6Ns?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, thought this might be a good place to ask, I have an FZ6N and the flasher relay is in a different spot from the FZ6 it seems. Its in the rear left side panel and the rubber band that holds the flasher is a lot different. I just wanted to ask if anyone had used one of these:

LED Flasher Relay Yamaha R6, R6s, R1, FZ6R, FZ1, FZ8 | eBay

It looks like it will fit directly where the OEM one is but it says it wont work with hazard lights but then it says in the title for FZ6 so.....

What do you guys think, will it work? Otherwise does anyone else know of one that fits in the OEM position with the rubber band on the FZ6Ns?

I've seen manuals that list the flasher in the side pod and have never found the flasher on an FZ6 in the side pod. You should find it near the front left side of the bike, On a faired FZ6 that would be in the left hand side of the fairing down low. It will be mounted on a rubber mount that slips over a plastic tab inside the fairing. On a converted naked FZ6 the flasher would probably be in that same area but maybe put behind the frame or tucked in the headlamp assembly.

That Fleabay flasher seems load dependent and it says it won't work with 4 way flashers. The FZ6 uses one flasher for directionals and 4 ways but when you use LEDs the flash rate changes.

Here is an $8.95 electronic flasher that works for everything you'll need on the FZ6 and probably most any 2 wire flasher setup except maybe the wire color and plug.

Order the LF1-s FLAT

Here is a link:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...DispPage&category=CAR&Page2Disp=/flashers.htm

Macca FZ6N

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is definitely in the side pod, I have already replaced it with an electronic relay but I'm not real happy with it. When I hit the indicators it takes a little while before it actually starts to blink. That and it also doesn't use the factory rubber band which I would like to use to keep it looking all OEM.

Its a factory FZ6N not an FZ6 or a convert.

WolfwoodFz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Wtf! i thought this was in the rear left pod as well, but when i looked earlier, none of the connections matched it. Thanks ill look in the front faring tomorrow.

Heathm34

Reaction score
Visit site
i put in an integrated Tail Light (LED) flush mount turn signals (LED) and rear turn signals (LED) as well as plate lights (also LED) in my 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (CA) my relay in located right inside the left visor of the cowling but it did not fix my hyperflash. My hyperflash occurs when the bike is on and accelerating but not when it is off. Do I need resistors on each signal?? this could be pretty annoying any help is appreciated.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Repost:

A lot of members seem to be doing the LED directionals and one question seems to always surface. Where should I put the resistors?
Even though the directional signal duty cycle is momentary you still save current and they are more reliable than a filament lamp. With resistors that are added to emulate the incandescent bulbs current draw you lose the power saving advantage and have to worry where hot resistors are going to live and not get shorted out.

I've recently sourced a great place to purchase the electronic relays which eliminate having to use those resistors and will work with all OEM bulbs as well as LED and Bulb combo and LED only setups.
Most electronic flashers are $19-$20. These are $8.95! a Great price!

There are two types (motorcycle) listed that will work with most any bike with a 2 wire flasher. In fact I use a Yamaha Flasher in my Suzuki. It's just a matter of two wires.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...versal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/787/842/
They have a flasher with a plug that looks like the Yamaha plug. LF1-S-FLAT: Universal Motorcycle Flasher. It has a red and black wire with plug.
timthumb.php

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...versal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/787/842/

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i put in an integrated Tail Light (LED) flush mount turn signals (LED) and rear turn signals (LED) as well as plate lights (also LED) in my 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (CA) my relay in located right inside the left visor of the cowling but it did not fix my hyperflash. My hyperflash occurs when the bike is on and accelerating but not when it is off. Do I need resistors on each signal?? this could be pretty annoying any help is appreciated.

Did you ever find your problem with the running light fuse?

Heathm34

Reaction score
Visit site
I did, my exhaust was melting through the running light causing it to pop the fuse, i re-wired and covered in heat seal then wrapped a heatshield around it and voila! no more blown fuses!