How To, RR, Front Pads, Lines, Fluid.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, I'll pick up some DOT4 fluid tonight. If I just have a tube for bleeding the brakes, should my procedure be the same as my Jeep? Hook up to the bleed nipple. undo the top of the reservoir, undo the nipple valve a bit and then pump easily (making sure the levels don't fall low enough to drop in the master cylinder). Then close up the nipple valve et voila. Right?

Bleeding brakes is bleeding brakes regardless of vehicle. You just want to be more careful on your bike for obvious reasons. And if you can't see the shiny inside of the reservoir in daylight then you definitely need to change the fluid.

I would suggest that you invest in a mighty vac or similar item like Wrightme used in his post. It makes it much less messy. Just make sure you have the synthetic brake grease (i used the permatex from discount auto) to seal the bleeder valve around the threads when vacuuming.

One other thing I would suggest is pushing the pistons back into the caliper so that you get 99% of the old fluid out. This is because the hose hookup and bleeder valve are at the top of the caliper so the old fluid will just stay at the bottom and contaminate your new fluid. Just make sure you don't overflow the master reservoir with the back flow.

Good luck.:rockon:

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
Great write-up and pics. Thanks!!

Are there any concerns about the ceramic pads wearing the rotors prematurely, since they're harder? I've read both yes and no, although I'd be pretty sure that it's both pad-specific and rider-specific.

Thoughts?

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
Excellent HowTo! For some that can be intimidated, you sure made it look easy.

I also liked that you included pictures on howto to protect the bike. My only problem is now I have to spend more money - thanks. :)

W

wrightme43

Great write-up and pics. Thanks!!

Are there any concerns about the ceramic pads wearing the rotors prematurely, since they're harder? I've read both yes and no, although I'd be pretty sure that it's both pad-specific and rider-specific.

Thoughts?

My rotors seem to be just fine, pads over halfway worn down now.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
Question regarding the MityVac...

I see on BikeBandits they have two units listed; one Brake Bleeding Kit and one General Purpose Pump Kit with a dial gauge.

What function/usefulness, if any, does the dial gauge serve for the purpose of this howto?

Thanks.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
the one with the gauge is more for testing purposes. You can apply a certain amount of vacuum or pressure to test certain systems. wastegates, egr valves, evap, pressure sensors etc.

W

wrightme43

The one with the gauge is just nice. If you want test out other things on your cars, its one of those deals where 10$ extra gets you a tool that will do 20 things instead of only one. I am wierd though. I promise.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Totally brilliant guide! Thanks. Really detailed. I'm going to be wanting to find this in a year or so.

Can it be stickied?

cjhudson101

Reaction score
Visit site
I went to the website you mentioned but I only find SS lines for R6's. Is that what you picked up?

*EDIT* Nevermind, it appears to be due to the year of my bike... 2005 MY

Know where I can get SS brake lines for a 2005 FZ6?

--Chris

bikerboyg

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there from Holland,

I have a question if bleeding brake fluid the same is on my FZ 6 S2 ABS ! ore because it's a ABS system you have to do something diverend?

Because I see 2 hose going to the engine at the brake line onther the bike?

p.s. sorry for my English ( Holland )

Thanks Gun